Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-07-2006, 03:04 PM   #11
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: Going out on a Limb: Ben has a good game

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropodx View Post
I'm so tired of hearing armchair qb's in this forum toss out theories about Ben's performance. I've heard everything from "he's got post-tramatic stress disorder" to "he's jinxed."
Someone with an opinion based upon what they see on the football field does not make them 'arm-chair' QB's - it makes them football fans.

If these people were what you claim them to be, then you are no different yourself - albeit one whose 'passing cone' (copyright Madden) is probably pink due to the rose tinted glasses you wear.

Quote:
BS. The team (including Ben--but not as much as people say) has played poorly. Yes, Ben has thrown INTs, but many have come late in the game when errors by other players have forced the issue. Yes, he's missed passes, but rookie receivers were not following their routes. Yes he's been hurting, and he's rusty (there, I said it), but it's not PTSD or a jinx (whatever that is).
Ben has thrown awful pretty much all game, in both games with the exception of the first couple of series against JAX.

Quote:
I'd love to give a lesson in statistics, but I don't have the time and they wouldn't get it anyway. But in a nutshell:

Because both losses were one score losses, the distance between those games being won was slight. One less fumble, one more receiver where he's supposed to be--dozens of other non qb errors corrected--and we win those games. We could so easily be 3-0 right now and people would be going on about how great Ben is and how they knew all along he would snap right back. Right.
Im afraid you can't go back in time and award the Steelers extra points, without factoring in how that would affect the play of the opposition.

When teams are ahead they tend to play more conservative, when behind more aggressive - if the Steelers magically eliminated the mistakes - then who is to say the opposition wouldnt have responded.

Quote:
And that's the problem: people here (and everywhere) are so good at calling it AFTER it happens. So, I'm going to put my money where my mouth is. I predict:

1.) The last two games were a product of natural statistical variations more than anything else and odds are Ben will have a good game at SD, if not one of his best performances.

2.) Win or lose, Ben will start playing good again. What's more, the TEAM will start playing better, and we'll come out of this season with a strong finish.

So there you go. Laying out my opinions before the game, not after. Risky I know. Ya'll should try it too.
How much money are we talking?

I'll take a $10 bet with you, if you are willing to do it through paypal.

For the record, spinning a coin and have it come down heads 20 times consecutively does not make it more likely to fall tails on the next throw - that is established statistical theory.

2 bad QB games from Ben do not ensure a world beating performance is 'just around the corner, either.

You need to define the boundaries for Bens good performance.

Here are my thoughts/predictions.

Ben wont have a better than +1 TD to INT ratio.

Ben wont throw for better than 65% completion rate.

Ben wont have a QB rating of better than 85.0.

Fancy any of that action?

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 03:50 PM   #12
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

I think this must be the week that Ben and Hines get something going and our passing game must take some pressure off the runing game...
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 08:31 PM   #13
theropodx
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1906

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
How much money are we talking?

I'll take a $10 bet with you, if you are willing to do it through paypal.

For the record, spinning a coin and have it come down heads 20 times consecutively does not make it more likely to fall tails on the next throw - that is established statistical theory.

2 bad QB games from Ben do not ensure a world beating performance is 'just around the corner, either.
You're putting words in my mouth. I said no such thing.

A coin only has two sides, but Ben has a better than 50% win record. So for any given game, odds are he's going to make more like 70% of the plays.

A better analogy for Ben is a game die. For any given roll, you're more than likely going to get a number higher than a 1. But it's also easy to roll a 1 twice in a row. However, roll again and the odds are in your favor to roll a 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6.

The reason I said the odds are good Ben has a good game is not because he's had two bad ones, but because history shows he's always more likely to have a good game than not (vs. other qb's).

As for the money: no thanks. My premise is not based on a passer rating or TD-INT stats, but that Ben is not Jinxed or suffering PTSD. I guess I would be willing to bet on a Win, BUT then two other players could fumble at the end of the game again and the loss would not be due to Ben being Jinxed.
theropodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:26 PM   #14
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
You're putting words in my mouth. I said no such thing.

A coin only has two sides, but Ben has a better than 50% win record. So for any given game, odds are he's going to make more like 70% of the plays.

A better analogy for Ben is a game die. For any given roll, you're more than likely going to get a number higher than a 1. But it's also easy to roll a 1 twice in a row. However, roll again and the odds are in your favor to roll a 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6.

The reason I said the odds are good Ben has a good game is not because he's had two bad ones, but because history shows he's always more likely to have a good game than not (vs. other qb's).

As for the money: no thanks. My premise is not based on a passer rating or TD-INT stats, but that Ben is not Jinxed or suffering PTSD. I guess I would be willing to bet on a Win, BUT then two other players could fumble at the end of the game again and the loss would not be due to Ben being Jinxed.
So you think Ben has a 70-80% chance of having a 'good game' sunday?

But you wont define what a 'good game' is.

No wonder you're pretty confident in your 'brave' pre-game predictions - they dont have any substance.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 11:22 PM   #15
theropodx
Draft Prospect

my limb broke.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:26 PM   #16
BigJen
Banned

Member Number: 3186

Quote:
my limb broke.
BigJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:09 AM   #17
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
my limb broke.
that is funny... but sadly it is true.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:02 PM   #18
theropodx
Draft Prospect

Yeah, I still stand by my argument that 2 games does not make a good statistical sample. However, it's 3 games now, and while Ben isn't the only weak link, with every game he can't throw a TD, the questions grow.

Still, I contend sooner than later Ben will have a great game because that is what he does--his first two years of great games overrides 2, 3, or even 4 bad games. When he's back in stride--when the whole team is back in stride--the wild speculation will end as quickly as it started.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:09 PM   #19
theropodx
Draft Prospect

HE'S BACK, BABY!!!

B. Roethlisberger KS GAME STATS:

PASSING COMP: 16/19 (84%)
YDS: 238
TD: 2
INT: 0
RATING: 153.8

Last edited by theropodx; 10-15-2006 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:24 PM   #20
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Apparently it takes 3 bad games.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote