Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-09-2006, 11:52 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,486 Times in 3,950 Posts
Default Just 17 Rushes???

and one bogus fake punt that counts as an 18th rushing attempt. we couldve had more with ben if he wasnt on his back. he tried to escape. but what happened to willie???

14 carries for 57 yds = 4 ypc

l. tomlinson 13 carries for 36 yds. in a game where parker looks like ladanian and lt is playing like what everyone perceives parker to be, i would expect more carries from willie.

why is duce staley on the roster? for note noah herron had 100+ yards and a td on 19 carries for green bay yesterday. green bay felt so good about him they traded s. gado and let davenport go.

v haynes had 1 carry for 13 yds. that means that every time he steps on the field the defense automatically knows its gonna be a pass. way to keep the opposing defenses on their toes and guessing. know why he had 13 yards on 1 carry? the defense had NO IDEA they would actually run the ball with him. no wonder ben has been throwing so many interceptions.

but go ahead coaches, keep resting willie and duce and limiting their carries that way they will be nice and fresh as they sit home and watch the playoffs.

in the meantime i will sit back and laugh at all those who still insist that willie cant run the ball against good defenses, yet LT is so great at it. and i will laugh at all those who insist he gets all his yeards by breaking 1 long run (his longest last night was 15 yards). i will laugh at those who say he cant take a hit, break a tackle, pound it inside, etc.

and i will wonder why we have our best weapon sitting on the bench as we play prevent defense and continue to be haunted by the ghost of jerome.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:55 PM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: Just 17 Rushes???

I took a look at the game stats from last night - if you take away Parkers three biggest runs 15 ,11 and 14 yards then he has 10 carries for 17 yards which is less than 2 ypc.

Maybe you could do that to most RB's - take away a couple of their best runs and their average would plummet but the Steelers clearly arent able to cope with being in 2nd and long and 3rd and long situations.

I brought this up before the season started, but I said the Steelers success would depend on how well they adapted to having Willie as a feature back with no Bettis on the sidelines.

The facts are that Willie, on only 17 carries, run for a loss 4 times - that is almost 25% of the time.

Its great having a 4ypc avg, but you have to look at the holes his runs put the offense in.

I point this out not to say Willie isn't a good RB, just that the Steelers aren't utilising him properly.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:07 PM   #3
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
I took a look at the game stats from last night - if you take away Parkers three biggest runs 15 ,11 and 14 yards then he has 10 carries for 17 yards which is less than 2 ypc.

Maybe you could do that to most RB's - take away a couple of their best runs and their average would plummet but the Steelers clearly arent able to cope with being in 2nd and long and 3rd and long situations.

I brought this up before the season started, but I said the Steelers success would depend on how well they adapted to having Willie as a feature back with no Bettis on the sidelines.

The facts are that Willie, on only 17 carries, run for a loss 4 times - that is almost 25% of the time.

Its great having a 4ypc avg, but you have to look at the holes his runs put the offense in.

I point this out not to say Willie isn't a good RB, just that the Steelers aren't utilising him properly.

NM
LITP, Willie Parker had 14 carries for 57 yards and a TD. That good against a very tough Chargers defense. I think Cowher didn't give him the ball enough last night. Plus you have to think that no defense has any respect for the Steelers passing game right now. So Willie has no support from the passing game. I think Willie Parker is fine as the featured back and if Ben gets his act together then we will all see how good Willie Parker really is. I know you didn't knock Willie Parker. But alot of Steelers fans still don't think Willie Parker should be our starting RB.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:23 PM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32 View Post
LITP, Willie Parker had 14 carries for 57 yards and a TD. That good against a very tough Chargers defense. I think Cowher didn't give him the ball enough last night. Plus you have to think that no defense has any respect for the Steelers passing game right now. So Willie has no support from the passing game. I think Willie Parker is fine as the featured back and if Ben gets his act together then we will all see how good Willie Parker really is. I know you didn't knock Willie Parker. But alot of Steelers fans still don't think Willie Parker should be our starting RB.
Im a fan of Willie Parker and have been since he broke into the team.

Its true what you say about the passing game, its often problems in one area that manifest in other statistics.

Teams who cant stay on the field offensively often have tired defenses who cant get the opposition off the field and so on and so on - its a vicious circle.

Cowher/Whiz is obviously a great fan of the ball retention running game, so its hard to imagine why he is failing to give Willie the carries he requires.

I can't think of many games where the Steelers went behind early and actually needed to go pass wacky.

The real problem lies in Cowhers (well deserved, in my opinion) inability to implement a plan B.

Of course his star QB is playing well short of 100% at this time for well documented reasons and has led to the Steelers having their hands tied offensively.

NM
Old 10-09-2006, 01:27 PM   #5
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Well its many problems from Bill Cowher (lame duck coach). He will retire after the year. I know it. I think the Steelers lack serious leadership right now. Of course Ben's horrible decision making.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:38 PM   #6
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Well its many problems from Bill Cowher (lame duck coach). He will retire after the year. I know it. I think the Steelers lack serious leadership right now. Of course Ben's horrible decision making.
I can't really comment on the Cowher issue and how thats affecting the team - the D plays with intensity from what I can tell.

I am convinced that Bens decisons will improve when his fitness does - he is an impatient type of person who isn't willing to compromise due his change of circumstances (injury, lack of fitness).

This is just hard headed youth, in my opinion.

NM
Old 10-10-2006, 08:52 AM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,486 Times in 3,950 Posts

Quote:
litp will try to spin this any way he can, to not be proven wrong once again. in his eyes barry sanders wasnt utilised properly or capable of being a featured back cause he was stopped for a loss.

but youre right litp. do that for any back and you will find all backs get stopped for loss. (he hasnt figured out that when a back AVERAGES 4 yards a carry it doesn mean they actually get 4 yards for every carry)
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:13 AM   #8
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
litp will try to spin this any way he can, to not be proven wrong once again. in his eyes barry sanders wasnt utilised properly or capable of being a featured back cause he was stopped for a loss.

but youre right litp. do that for any back and you will find all backs get stopped for loss. (he hasnt figured out that when a back AVERAGES 4 yards a carry it doesn mean they actually get 4 yards for every carry)
You are such a d*ck most of time its unfunny.

You are totally shown up here by posters who actually want to talk football instead of propogating personal vendetta's - to say its tiresome is being generous.

You make a reference to my 'spin' and 'deceit' in just about every post in the last few months and it just makes you look as if you are incapable of anything above moronic repetition.

You will notice pretty much no-one agrees with this BS you spout continuously - take the hint and pack it in.

NM
Old 10-10-2006, 12:02 PM   #9
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Im a fan of Willie Parker and have been since he broke into the team.

Its true what you say about the passing game, its often problems in one area that manifest in other statistics.

Teams who cant stay on the field offensively often have tired defenses who cant get the opposition off the field and so on and so on - its a vicious circle.

NM
I agree -- the defense could not get San Diego off the field -- I can't remember a game where I have seen a team convert so many 3rd and longs on a Steelers defense -- don't know if it was fatigue, bad scheming or what -- but we would crush them on first and second down -- and then drop into some weird prevent defense on every third down -- I think we panicked and went away from Willie too soon ....
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:21 PM   #10
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo View Post
I agree -- the defense could not get San Diego off the field -- I can't remember a game where I have seen a team convert so many 3rd and longs on a Steelers defense -- don't know if it was fatigue, bad scheming or what -- but we would crush them on first and second down -- and then drop into some weird prevent defense on every third down -- I think we panicked and went away from Willie too soon ....
The 3rd and long conversions were a problem at periods last year if I remember rightly.

I think most of is down to a bend-dont-break philosophy on defense - im sure the rationale is that if they can keep the oppositions offense on the field for a larger series of small plays rather than giving up the one big play that their playmakers will eventually come up with the turnover.

When the team isn't getting it done - all areas tend to come under the microscope - if the Steelers can get some bigger, longer drives going then that should keep the defense rested and ready to give maximum effort into making big plays on D.

NM