Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-09-2006, 01:15 PM   #1
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default An Outsiders Perspective

Hey all,

Just thought id jot down a few thoughts regarding the Steelers season so far, it has been absorbing stuff although obviously not very enjoyable for most of you guys.

I think alot of the poster related anguish has been caused by unrealistic expectations running into this season.

I have said this many times, but all teams have their weaknesses be it on offense or on defense - its how you cope and adapt throughout the season that defines how and when that season finishes.

Alot of our 'new' posters seem to think that Steelers regular season success was pretty much a given this year based upon winning the SB last year.

Its the same thing that plagues the Patriots board, despite mostly winning under BB and Kraft it doesnt take too long for fans to turn against them - the odd bad result is enough to ensure all sorts of crazy talk.

Well last years regular season wasn't particularly impressive from a Steeler point of view, and as you all remember it required favors from other teams to get you into the postseason.

What happened in the postseason from that point on was pretty astonishing, the uncharacteristic freedom that Pittsburgh played with was unlike any other Cowher led playoff team.

Alot of factors fell into place to make Pittsburgh champions last year, but I cant really think of a time when they were dominant over a period of 3 or 4 games consecutively.

Pittsburgh was a good team last year, that played great at the right times and they would have been exactly the same this year (a good team, that is) if it wasn't for the injury problems suffered by Ben.

Cowher remains a good coach, but obviously not a great one, who leads a good team.

Every game is a battle, that talk of 13-3 is a little on the crazy side but 10-6 is attainable - and maybe that will be enough to get you into the postseason..and from then on...who knows?

Never throw the towel in before the fat lady sings, you'll only look foolish trying to scramble back on the bandwagon if it all comes back together.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:21 PM   #2
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751
Default Re: An Outsiders Perspective

Hehe LITP, 13-3 is only my perpetual optimism.

Looking forward I expect to close 100% of my customers. Looking backwards I'm satisfied with 40%. But in order to get to 40% you have to go in expecting to close 100%, or else you wind up at 16%.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:24 PM   #3
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Nice post and I would tend to agree with alot you said in that post. But even with the Steelers 7-5 they still had that feel that they could turn it around and really make a run. This team doesn't have that this year. They really don't. But they had Jerome Bettis to lean on for leadership to rally them when they had a lossing streak. I think someone needs to step up and be that leader.

I don't care if the Steelers finish 1-15 they will still be my team. But I think this team will like the 2001 Pats after winning the Super Bowl. The next year in 2002 the Pats went 9-7 and missed the playoffs. The Pats refocused and redeticated themselves after feeling that let down of not being able to defend their title in 2002 to win the next two Super Bowls. The same could happen for the Steelers in 2007 and 2008.

LITP, the Pats didn't dominate teams in 2001 either just like the Steelers in 2005.

Last edited by Black@Gold Forever32; 10-09-2006 at 01:29 PM.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:28 PM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
Hehe LITP, 13-3 is only my perpetual optimism.

Looking forward I expect to close 100% of my customers. Looking backwards I'm satisfied with 40%. But in order to get to 40% you have to go in expecting to close 100%, or else you wind up at 16%.

Tom
Hey Tom,

Nothing wrong in predicting an optimistic 13-3 as long as the rest of your posts/analysis remain as level headed as yours do.

Some of the people here have to accept that losing games is a very real prospect, no matter the opposition, and to take the wins as a welcome bonus and not something to be taken for granted.

If you dont look at the bigger picture all you get is crazy mood swings from one week to the next - from SB Champs shoo-ins to AFCN basement dwellers and back again.

NM
Old 10-09-2006, 01:34 PM   #5
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32 View Post
Nice post and I would tend to agree with alot you said in that post. But even with the Steelers 7-5 they still had that feel that they could turn it around and really make a run. This team doesn't have that this year. They really don't. But they had Jerome Bettis to lean on for leadership to rally them when they had a lossing streak. I think someone needs to step up and be that leader.

I don't care if the Steelers finish 1-15 they still will be my time. But I think this team will like the 2001 Pats after winning the Super Bowl. The next year in 2002 the Pats went 9-7 and missed the playoffs. The Pats refocused and redeticated themselves after feeling that let down of not being able to defend their title in 2002 to win the next two Super Bowls. The same could happen for the Steelers in 2007 and 2008.

LITP, the Pats didn't dominate teams in 2001 either just like the Steelers in 2005.
Thanks.

There certainly are a great many parallels between the 2001 Patriots and the 2005 Steelers that is for sure.

The Steelers had much better recent history with the squad but they would still have made an unfshionable pick for SB glory at most points of lst season - as were the 2001 Pats.

Everything worked out for the 2001 team - some truly once in a lifetime stuff - the Oakland raiders FG's in the snow, the last minute drive by Brady against the Rams to set up the game winning FG.

Despite just missing out on the postseason on a tiebreaker the following year, you cant escape the fact they were only 9-7.

I think its important to maintain perspective at all times, we are both very lucky to be fans to two franchises who do things the right way and are successful also.

NM
Old 10-09-2006, 01:38 PM   #6
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Thanks.

There certainly are a great many parallels between the 2001 Patriots and the 2005 Steelers that is for sure.

The Steelers had much better recent history with the squad but they would still have made an unfshionable pick for SB glory at most points of lst season - as were the 2001 Pats.

Everything worked out for the 2001 team - some truly once in a lifetime stuff - the Oakland raiders FG's in the snow, the last minute drive by Brady against the Rams to set up the game winning FG.

Despite just missing out on the postseason on a tiebreaker the following year, you cant escape the fact they were only 9-7.

I think its important to maintain perspective at all times, we are both very lucky to be fans to two franchises who do things the right way and are successful also.

NM
I'm just hoping the Steeler can rebound in 2007. I don't think this team will make the playoffs this year. I hate to say it. But they have dropped 3 conference games and 1 division game so far. Thats not good for making the playoffs. Hey but I love the Steelers no matter what. I just don't like how the team look like it just quit yesterday in the 2nd half against the Chargers.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:40 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,234 Times in 2,869 Posts

Insightful post as always LITP (although I disagree with Cowher not being a great coach - 10 playoff appearances/6 AFC championship games/2 Super Bowl appearances in the cap era is pretty impressive when the only franchise level QB Cowher had was Ben, to which I attribute Cowher getting less conservative in the playoffs last year). Cowher's record without a franchise level QB certainly compares favorably to that of Belichek when he has not had Brady and that of Shanahan when he did not have Elway.

In the cap era you are not going to have overwhelming across the board superiority in talent as the 70s Steelers/80s 49ers/90s Cowboys did, so a lot of playoff success hinges on your team getting hot at the right time. Even the Pats required last second FGs for 2 of their three Super Bowls.

The Steelers got hot at the right time last year. So far this season they are diminshed at running back (no Bettis for second half power running), QB (Ben's off season problems), receivers (injured Ward and no Randle-El), defensive backfield (injured Troy) and, for whatever reason, OL (age?). Add that to a coaching staff that has a HC who, at best, is uncertain to be in Pittsburgh in 2007, which has to translate to uncertainty with the assistants as to their employment beyond this year, and the Steelers do not have the margin of error to blow by playoff quality opponents.

To win it all you need a lot of luck in today's NFL; I am grateful the Steelers had it last year and can leave the angst of wondering if they will ever win it all to Manning, Dungy, and Colts fans.

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 10-09-2006 at 02:00 PM.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:56 PM   #8
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Concur with all of you.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:07 PM   #9
wadester47
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2745

not bad thoughts, I agree with most but I do love my Steelers.
wadester47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:30 PM   #10
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

A man standing on the sideline (Cowher) with your arms folded and a blank stare is not a General!

Time to lick some wounds and get ready for a newlife KC team.