Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 10-09-2006, 02:18 PM   #1
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645
Default Cowher's Tenure

With all of the off-season-on-season hyperactive analysis that many of us love to engage each other on, the head coaching issue is about as trivial as a mushroom cloud.

For all of my speculation that Whiz is set to take the reins from Cowher after this season and now looking into the proverbial abyss it's time for a major reality check. Is there any person on the planet - alive- that you would want to lead this team right now going forward other than Bill Cowher????

Sorry Ken. NO. The day Ben played 'crash dummy' has changed everyones fate in the Steeler Organization...a fate quite frankly yet undetermined.

Again. One can only speculate what ART II and DAN ROONEY may be thinking about the future but I'm guessing it has been reshaped. It would be very selfish to ask Cowher to pass on a once in a lifetime experience of watching his daughters play college basketball.

But hey Bill. That is what video and granddaughters are for. Time for the four-year extension.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:07 PM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,337 Times in 2,902 Posts
Default Re: Cowher's Tenure

If Cowher had his wife and daughter move to North Carolina as a negotiating ploy to shake down more $$ from the Rooneys then his agent has taken contract negotiation gamesmanship to the next level.

I have no interest in going back to the late '90s speculation on Steelers' After Dark (Kordell alleged adventures in Schenley Park/Cowher allegedly making new best friends with a secretary at the Steelers offices), but unless you assume Cowher's marriage is busted I cannot imagine Cowher wants to spend the next 5 years with his wife in Raleigh while he plays Bachelor Bill in Pittsburgh for 6 months of the year.

I think he wants to take a few years off (maybe cash an easy paycheck at some network's studio show) and then pull a Parcells/Jimmy Johnson for a huge payday with another franchise.

I believe the Steelers and Cowher agreed to one more year after they won the Super Bowl becuase in early February they almost would have had no choice but to hire Grimm or Whiz with so many other candidates having been taken with HC jobs up for grabs after the 2005 season.

I am coming around to the view of other posters that Whiz is no lock as the next HC; promoting from within does not have the best track record in the NFL.
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:43 PM   #3
steelfan 92
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2630

but i think he needed to decide before the season. i do think that this is a small distraction to the team.
steelfan 92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:25 PM   #4
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

I dont think the players care as much about Cowhers contract as much as everyone else is making it out to be......Cowher is still under contract next year. Ya, he usually extends with 2 years left, but he has another one remaing after this one......
And again, i dont think his contract situation plays in the players minds as they are playing the game
Old 10-09-2006, 04:33 PM   #5
wadester47
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2745

Wether or not he signs a new extension or not. He def. needs to circle the wagons and begin some kind of game plan that will work. I really believe that none of the players really care what is going on with this matter.

He needs to coach like he knows how to coach- put the fire back in the kitchen!
wadester47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:12 PM   #6
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

whiz hasnt been doing a good job play calling. our defense looks tired and that is why we are 1-3.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:15 PM   #7
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
If Cowher had his wife and daughter move to North Carolina as a negotiating ploy to shake down more $$ from the Rooneys then his agent has taken contract negotiation gamesmanship to the next level.

I have no interest in going back to the late '90s speculation on Steelers' After Dark (Kordell alleged adventures in Schenley Park/Cowher allegedly making new best friends with a secretary at the Steelers offices), but unless you assume Cowher's marriage is busted I cannot imagine Cowher wants to spend the next 5 years with his wife in Raleigh while he plays Bachelor Bill in Pittsburgh for 6 months of the year.

I think he wants to take a few years off (maybe cash an easy paycheck at some network's studio show) and then pull a Parcells/Jimmy Johnson for a huge payday with another franchise.

I believe the Steelers and Cowher agreed to one more year after they won the Super Bowl becuase in early February they almost would have had no choice but to hire Grimm or Whiz with so many other candidates having been taken with HC jobs up for grabs after the 2005 season.

I am coming around to the view of other posters that Whiz is no lock as the next HC; promoting from within does not have the best track record in the NFL.

I believe Cowher is gone after this season and I hope the Rooney's would at least consider the thought at looking at Jeff Fisher who is more than likely out as the HC in Tennessee.
Fisher wont be on the market long before some team grabs him so he should at least be considered.
Sticking to the "Homer" formula to find the next head coach shouldn't be the only criteria for the selected candidates.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:20 AM   #8
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

All great points. But this is why I pose the question.

ATL Dan going to the Dark Side is a bit of comic relief but "Bachelor Bill" is almost certainly six feet under. We all make mistakes but answering to that many daughters is not worth a floozie or two or 20. He's been there done that. So cross that off the list. Maybe.

Steelfan92 touches on why the Rooneys and Cowher may want to be inclined to remove doubt - or exacerbate it. At 3-1 or 2-2 the Steelers are looking at the KC game and licking their chops. At 1-3 the psychology can easily morph into a lame duck season with a lame duck coach.

This is not about money PER SE and less about a CONTRACT. Business is business. But the Rooney's stood by Cowher when many wanted him gone. I'm a little too young to be old fashioned but if RESPECT isn't the keystone in this negotiation then...when would it be. Hell. Tampa Bay tore up Dungy's contract only to eventually cut bait for Gruden.

If Joey Porter kissing the man isn't indicative of his value then what is. Uncertainty at the helm right now is toxic.

Wagers anyone? If this doesn't get swept under the carpet or neatly manipulated then be damn sure this will very soon co-headline Ben's recent notoriety. EXACTLY what the Rooneys or the Cowhers do not want to stomach. Or the players.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:32 AM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,337 Times in 2,902 Posts

I believe Cowher is gone based on his wife and high school age daughter having moved to North Carolina.

I do not have a clue why the move was made while Cowher was still working in Pittsburgh (allow the daughter more years to adjust moving into a new high school?) but unless Cowher and his wife are separated (obviously none of my business except insofar as it impacts the Steelers) I do not believe he wants a commuter marriage at this stage of his life.

When you look at their records, Cowher has a lot similarity to John Madden, another highly emotional coach. As Raiders coach Madden had a lot of near misses before finally winning in 1976. He left coaching 2 years later at a younger age than Cowher at a time when his peers as successful coaches (Noll, Landry, Shula) coached for decades.

IMHO Cowher finally got what he had been chasing and at least for now wants to take a break from being a high energy coach - too bad he apparently started to take it (compared to prior years he currently looks like he is sedated on the sidelines) while he was still Steelers' HC.

That having been said, although Cowher shouldhave announced whether this was his last season prior to training camp, he will not officially announce it now. That will make him a lame duck and the media will constantly be asking Cowher, the assistants and the players who they believe should be the next coach.

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 10-10-2006 at 07:35 AM.
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:41 AM   #10
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I agree with that fact that we shouldn't just extend the HC job to an insider. However, we also have to take into consideration that most likely any new HC will release any assistant coaches which could in turn put our Def and Off at another disadvantage next year as they learn a whole new system.

We were blessed with Cowher in that he understood what the Steelers were about and stuck with it. However, IMHO, it may be somewhat difficult to find a coach in this day in age in the NFL that understands that mentatlity, let alone a HC that the Rooney's would feel comfortable leaving at the helm for 15 years!

As with Cowher's family, maybe it's something they worked out together and he's just in town until the end of this year and gone. But it's all speculation and not something I particular care to find out about until we our season is over. But if Cowher is more focused on where he's going to be living come January then he should have left in February the same time The Bus did and not drag his name, the Rooney's, the team, and the fans down like we have been done so far this year.

As for replacements, I just want someone that will recognize the job he has in front of him, the fact that we as fans do not want to wait another 26 years for another title, and he will utilize all necessary weapons!!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote