Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-10-2006, 01:01 PM   #1
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231
Default QB contraversy?????????

I have been saying for weeks that whisenhunt needs to accept much of the responsibility for the Steelers early season woes.

Now Ben hasnt played well (that is 100% obvious) but whisenhunt seems to want to play a completely different brand of ball from the one that helped the Steelers win that elusive 5th world title.

Now i am begining to hear some steelers fans call for Mr. Batch... well here are the facts

Whisenhunt called a completely different game offensively against the Dolphins w/ Charlie as his QB.

I have been complaining for weeks that he has been asking too much of Ben and where he is most guilty is on 1st down. Just too many passes attempted on 1st down creating 3rd & long situations

So for those of you who think Charlie would cure all of our ills.... understand this Whisenhunt would have to call the game differently.

It didnt surprise me to find that when Batch was the QB vs Miami The kind of game we played was much different than the style we have seen attempted the last three games w/ Big Ben.

Week 1 we attempted only 7 passes on 1st down plays, out of a total of 27 1st down plays.

Week 2 we attempted 15 passes out of 20 total 1st down plays.

Wek 3 we attempted 18 passes out of 33 total 1st down plays vs maybe the worst run D that we have played this season (need proof .... we averaged over 7 yds per carrry on 1st down vs the Bungals.

In the Miami game he let Willie run the pill and let Charlie take a few chances at opportune times.... ask Heath Miller how that worked out!!!! It worked out to a great play that ended as a 80 some yard TD catch. That play took place in the second half oddly enough.... which has been his last catch in the second half of a game this year.... thats right our possession receiver inbetween the hashes hasnt caught a ball in the second half of a game since week 1.

Those numbers describing what we do on 1st down paints an ugly picture when every person on our offense has a strength based on the running game....except for Heath and oh by the way we dont even use him when passing.... he must stay at the line and help the T's block cause none of them specialize in pass blocking.

This is a rediculous differential.... and our woes will continue until they commit to the running game... If I remember correctly that is what we did during the 15-1 season of 04.... I think it was because we had a new quarterback that we re-commited ourselves...

I THINK HIS NAME WAS ROETHLIS-something.
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:24 PM   #2
steelfan 92
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2630
Default Re: QB contraversy?????????

i don't think we have a controversey, but i just think they need to go back to what got them there, run the ball and play defense, have ben manage the game no try to win the game, i think ben is a great qb, but he is not on the elite level like payton manning, who can and will throw the ball to win. don't get me wrong i would not trade ben for anyone, but if it is not broke don't fix it. stick with the formula that make them the franchise that they are. run the rock, and run the rock some more. if they can establish the run they will have to put more guys in the box to stop the run. then they can us the play pass to take their shots donwfield, that is when they are at their best.
steelfan 92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:35 PM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,525 Times in 3,347 Posts

Whiz is calling the same plays (lots of passes on first down) that worked against Cincy, Indy, and Denver in last year's playoffs. Of course, defenses adjust and are not selling out for the run on first down, as was the case last season.

Until the Steelers restore respect for the run what was available last year is not going to be there for the taking. Combine that with Ben refusing to tuck it and run (a big factor in receivers breaking free the last 2 seasons) and the passing game is a mess.

If Whiz has the guts to call it and Ben will do it, it might help if the Steelers ran some roll out passes in which running is a viable, if not first, option - I know regular runs can get your QB killed but something needs to draw the DBs closer to the line of scrimage.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:58 PM   #4
BigBensBikeHelmet
Banned

Member Number: 3195

What has Ben shown that makes you think he should be a starting QB in the NFL? His passer rating, especially in his last 5 games is a joke.
BigBensBikeHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:15 PM   #5
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

i completely agree with you, whiz made good calls all night. the last 3 games have been him acting like he wants to protect ben by not throwing it but at the end we end up being behind so we have to throw. people say we cant throw 30 or more times and i dont think that is true. if we throw 30 times lets do it in a good way. instead of 40% of the 30 throws being 60 yd bombs, lets make 10% bombs and 70% slants and hook plays like we did last year. its not throwing 30 times it is that we throw big throws too many times when we throw a lot and we dont have the offensive weapons to do that.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:10 PM   #6
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBensBikeHelmet View Post
What has Ben shown that makes you think he should be a starting QB in the NFL? His passer rating, especially in his last 5 games is a joke.
His overall performance the last 2 years, including last years playoff run. So I guess you think Hasselback has proven he's such a great NFL QB?

As I recall his career it hasn't been that stellar and it wasn't until recently that he's actually produced (and if I cared enough I would research his stats). The fact that Ben has done more in the early part of his career is proof enough of his ability to play in this league.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:13 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,525 Times in 3,347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBensBikeHelmet View Post
Gee I do not know - 14-1 as a starter in 2004. Super Bowl champ with three road playoff victories in 2005. Passer rating in the high 90s both seasons.

Given the woeful performance by your team's QB in the Super Bowl (the INT gift wrapped for Ike Taylor in the 4th Q ranks with any brain cramp Ben has committed) and the brilliant team effort in Chicago last week it would appear you have enough to worry about without asking us to defend the performance of the QB that was on the winning side in Detroit last February.

I know you are going to claim Ben benefits from his system but the imortal Mr. Hasselback has a pretty fair runneing back - when Alexander was not playing Hassleback certainly carried the team to glory in Chicago last Sunday night, didn't he?

Your screen name says it all - go away troll
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:53 PM   #8
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Stop there is no QB contraversry with the Steelers. Ben is the starter and I don't care if he throws 3 more INT's with no TD's against the Chiefs. The Steelers have to stick with him until he gets back to form. Well there is chance Ben might never regain his form. But the Steelers have to find that out. I hope he does. But at this point who knows.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:09 PM   #9
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Gee I do not know - 14-1 as a starter in 2004. Super Bowl champ with three road playoff victories in 2005. Passer rating in the high 90s both seasons.

Given the woeful performance by your team's QB in the Super Bowl (the INT gift wrapped for Ike Taylor in the 4th Q ranks with any brain cramp Ben has committed) and the brilliant team effort in Chicago last week it would appear you have enough to worry about without asking us to defend the performance of the QB that was on the winning side in Detroit last February.

I know you are going to claim Ben benefits from his system but the imortal Mr. Hasselback has a pretty fair runneing back - when Alexander was not playing Hassleback certainly carried the team to glory in Chicago last Sunday night, didn't he?

Your screen name says it all - go away troll

Amen, Brother!!

BBBH, take notes..this is called backing up what you say with all the facts, not just the bits you like. Remember that....

Thanks for playing....goodbye!
Old 10-10-2006, 04:14 PM   #10
The_Professor
Water Boy

Member Number: 2794

Coachspeak, again more passes are generally attempted when 1. the run game can't get anything going, per the JAX game or 2. the team is behind , also see the JAX game.

To just throw that statistic out there without these qualifiers is again misleading on your part.

In the first half, Ben attempted 6 pass plays on 1st down to 4 runs, not a bad ratio at all, considering the run game was doing ABSOLUTELY nothing. Wisenhunt then had to try something to jump start the offense, especially when they fell behind in the second half and the run game was getting dominated. So to say that Wiz is just arbitrarily calling passes and putting too much pressure on Ben is absurd. Most all of those statistics you mentioned occuring the 2nd half with the Steelers behind in need of points, all while their run game wasn't working (not a surprise considering their opponents D-tackles). Calling passes in those situations is necessary, not random or stupid as you seem to think it is. This isn't your 1974 Steelers or NFL where we can just run all the time against 9 in the box, Ben is a capable passer and must be allowed to pass whenever the situation dictates, not simply on play-action or in the 2nd half while trailing. The problem has been the o-line, the receivers, and yes at times certainly Ben's poor play. What the problem hasn't been (which you can't seem to grasp) is Wiz's putting too much pressure on Ben who isn't that type of QB. That is not the situation here; Ben is fully capable of handling a large role in the offense, he proved as much in the AFC Divisional and Title Games last year. This QB controversy stuff is also crap Ben actually played decent this past week minus 2 bonehead INT's one of which a guy was in his grill while he was trying to make a play...With that said.... Go Steelers , let's get it turned around this weekend.
The_Professor is offline   Reply With Quote