Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-11-2006, 11:55 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,793 Times in 2,677 Posts
Default Realistic Assessments From SI.com

Don Banks writes about the Steelers as follows:

Q: Do the Steelers have another season-saving run on the way?

A: We're not writing off the defending Super Bowl champs after four games, and their tough early schedule -- at Jacksonville, Cincinnati, at San Diego -- has had plenty to do with their uninspiring 1-3 start. But Steelers fans have to be concerned with Ben Roethlisberger's lack of production (seven interceptions, no touchdowns, 41.7 QB rating) and the way opponents are beating Pittsburgh physically up front (see losses to the Jaguars and the Chargers).

The Steelers have lost their identity in the first quarter of the season, and they can't wait any longer to reestablish it than this week's home game against Kansas City. It's must-win time already, because a Week 7 trip to Atlanta looms, and we know the Falcons can push people around with both their offensive and defensive fronts.

Pittsburgh needs to be at .500 after its eighth game in order to give itself a chance to make a second-half charge. Anything less than 4-4 at that point and the Steelers will probably be too far back in the AFC wild-card hunt to repeat their December-January magic of last season.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...estions/2.html

Paul Zimmerman follows up with another accurate take in which he puts the Steelers at #22 in his weekly rankings, although as attentive as I thought him to be I was surprised to read he does not know Troy is hurt.

I'm tired of *****-footing, keeping them artificially inflated because of what they once were or could be. Let 'em live down here with the desperate people and work their way up. Here's what I saw when the feared Steelers defense faced young Philip Rivers -- I saw a unit that gave the appearance of a heavy rush. I mean a lot thrashing about, without the wall being pierced. I saw popular notions destroyed. Was Joey Porter really on the field, or is he on the lam from something? The other winger, Clark Haggans, actually is a better pass-rusher at this point. OK, Porter gets his share of double-teaming, but all the good ones do. And here's the real mystery: What's happened to All-Pro Troy Polamalu? I've never seen a good player miss so many tackles. Is he playing hurt and not telling anybody?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...rt3/index.html

Getting to 4-4 does not seem to be enough to get the season back on the rails, although that presumably would mean the Steelers had beat the Chiefs and Raiders while splitting with the Falcons and Broncos. Under the circumstances 4-4 looks optimistic these days.

At this point I will settle for a win over the Chiefs, a game in which the Steelers have no business being favored by 7 points.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:32 PM   #2
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044
Default Re: Realistic Assessments From SI.com

Realistic Assessments from SI is an oxymoron.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:37 PM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,793 Times in 2,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsMe View Post
Realistic Assessments from SI is an oxymoron.
Exactly what did Banks or Dr. Z state with which you disagree? - seemed straightforward to me.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:58 AM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Exactly what did Banks or Dr. Z state with which you disagree? - seemed straightforward to me.
SI (and other sports writers) are part of a left wing conspiracy to deprive the Steelers of credit

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:13 AM   #5
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140

I believe that the Steelers can get to a 4-4 record. This should put them only 1 game out of 1st place in the AFC North. The Bengals and Ravens both have to play Carolina and they also play each other. We've already seen that the Ravens are overrated and the Bengals have problems running the ball, stopping the run and pass protection issues.

With that being said the Steelers need to just concentrate on the own problems i.e... Ben Roethlisbergers' poor decisons in the passing game and the even poorer play calls being sent down from the booth. We all know that this team is very capable of winning many games including the next 3. If they fail to do so then I guess we can all just assume that they're just not that good of a football team this year.
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:23 AM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I cannot disagree with anything in those articles. They nailed it pretty good. At this point, the Steelers need to do what jump-started their 8 game winning streak last season - focusing on one game at a time and not looking down the road.

Peezy doesn't seem to have his inner fires burning this season like we are used to seeing and since I don't want to speculate what the problems could possibly be, all I'm going to say is that we need him to really bring it on from this point on. He's a team leader and a defensive unit leader--I want to see that killer instinct in his eyes again - haven't seen it since last season.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote