Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-13-2006, 05:31 AM   #1
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Steelers Interested in Moss and Porter

Quote:
STEELERS INTERESTED IN PORTER, MOSS

A league source tells us that the Pittsburgh Steelers are interested in trading for Raiders receivers Jerry Porter and Randy Moss.

We're told that the Steelers prefer Porter, primarily because he would come with a lower salary and less of a media circus.

Due to a contract that was heavy on bonus money, Porter's salary is only $1 million per year through 2009. Published reports indicate that the Raiders want Porter to refund $4 million of his eight-figure signing bonus in exchange for his freedom.

Moss is signed through 2008, at salaries of $9.75 million and $11.25 million, respectively, in each of the next two seasons.

Per the source, the Steelers believe that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's poor start has more to do with a less-than-impressive receiving corps than his June 12 trampoline routine off of a Chrysler. Hines Ward has a bad hamstring, Santurdio is inexperienced, Nate Washington is still growing into his role, and Cedrick Wilson is regarded within the building as soft.

So can a trade go down by the league's October 17 deadline? A lot would have to happen. But with the Steelers interested in either guy, they might be in the best position to get one of them.

And although the prevailing thinking is that any deal would involve one or more draft picks flowing out of Pittsburgh, we wouldn't be surprised to hear the name "Joey Porter" arise in any eventual trade talks. Porter has been unhappy with his salary, and there's a growing school of thought that Porter's desire to get paid has prompted him to abandon any genuine efforts to be a team leader.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Rumormill isn't the most reliable of sources, but its certainly food for thought.

There has been some speculation on this board that Cowher drafted this year with the intention of putting a band-aid on problems (the WR corps) rather than drafting long term.

Maybe this isn't so far fetched?

Can you see Moss or Porter in the Black'n'Gold?

Maybe even a Porter for Porter swap?

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:03 AM   #2
steelcurtain09
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2880
Default Re: Steelers Interested in Moss and Porter

i dont think tht is goin to happen
one question would Je. Porters salary be less than Jo. Porters salary?
if it is than tht would free up more room for Roethlisberger next year.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:30 AM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I really don't see the Steelers trading for either Moss or Porter, but I wouldn't positively rule out a deal for Porter. Moss is another bitcher and moaner and we don't need a sad sack around the locker room, especially not this season.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 07:44 AM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,423 Times in 3,311 Posts

After burning a #1 and #3 draft pick on WRs I cannot imagine the Steelers would spend more $$$ on either Moss or Porter. Leaving aside the fact that Moss and Porter are trouble in the locker room, the Steelers have other financial obligations coming up at other positions over the next several years.

They might rent Porter for the rest of the season but the way this season may be heading I doubt that is likley.

I do agree that something was going on with Joey Porter's performance even prior to his hamstring injury, but I attribute it more to inevitable physical decline (which is why he has seen his last Steelers contract) than tanking the season becuase he wants a new contract - unless Cowher has completely lost control of the team that will never happen.

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 10-13-2006 at 07:48 AM.
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:00 AM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,307 Times in 3,522 Posts

thats a hefty pricetag on randy moss. but if hes willing to pay some of that cash for a sb and the steelers can make it work financially then im all for it. moss's best days were when he had chris carter as a mentor and i believe him and hines could have that same student- teacher relationship. with that being said this isnt a steelers move. they didnt even talk to plex when it came time to give him a new contract. i dont think theres much to this story, other than maybe they inquired about the asking price like all good mgmt. does.

jerry porter is cheap and could definitely help. losing joey porter at this stage would hurt. i could see giving up draft picks, though. hell, this year we just drafted 3 year projects anyways and then cut half of them. (so much for the theory of cowher not drafting for the longterm)

i would rather trade for lendale white.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:08 AM   #6
Tankus_Maximus
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 519

We ain't gonna get Je. Porter cuz The Emperor's gonna want a #1 & the signing bonus back. Moss has said twice that he wouldn't mind being traded again....we could use a tall receiver...winning has a way of quieting the bitchiness....it'd be sweet.

"I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me." -Rorschach
Tankus_Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:16 AM   #7
Hines86Ward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2256

I would like Randy Moss on the Steelers. I think he's matured & realizes that he can't be doing stupid stuff anymore. I don't think what he's doing in Oakland is wrong, he has a valid point. But I don't think we'll ever see him in the Black N Gold. As for Jerry Porter, there's been rumors about the Steelers and him for the past 2-3 seasons. We'll just have to see what happens. I don't see a Porter-for-Porter trade happening either, we don't have the depth at LB to be able to do that....
Old 10-13-2006, 09:43 AM   #8
Tankus_Maximus
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 519

Sure we got depth...we just signed Chad Brown! *snicker*

"I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me." -Rorschach
Tankus_Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:22 AM   #9
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

Any credibility to that source kind of faded after the "Santurdio" comment.
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 01:15 PM   #10
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankus_Maximus View Post
We ain't gonna get Je. Porter cuz The Emperor's gonna want a #1 & the signing bonus back. Moss has said twice that he wouldn't mind being traded again....we could use a tall receiver...winning has a way of quieting the bitchiness....it'd be sweet.
Agree. I wouldn't want Porter. And I'm shocked that I think a trade for Moss is viable. He is the anti-Steeler...I guess. Unless you have Joey Porter - Cowher's bad ass proxy -in his face.

This is what hysteria does to people. Winning does have a way. I don't see it happening but I'd say roll out the welcome mat.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote