Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Blast Furnace

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-15-2006, 06:52 PM   #1
meanjoecoop
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 2221
Default Little Carsons excuse thread...

Only minutes after their dismal performance and loss to the Buc's the big bungal machine is hard at work making excuses.

:sign09:

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5585

TAMPA, Fla. - The undermanned, injury-riddled Bengals defense, without three starters that included the sudden loss of middle linebacker Brian Simmons before the game, held up in the 80-degree heat until the final 35 seconds when rookie quarterback Bruce Gradkowski?s eight-yard pass on fourth down broke their heart in a 14-13 loss Sunday here at Raymond James Stadium.

The play, to Bucs wide receiver Michael Clayton, was originally ruled incomplete as the ball fell out of his hands diving to the goal line but then got overturned on replay.

The Bengals, who lost left tackle Levi Jones, cornerback Tory James and wide receiver Kelley Washington to injuries during the long frustrating day, were also enraged by several calls. The most noteworthy came with 2:45 left in the game when defensive end Justin Smith sacked Gradkowski but was called for a roughing the passer penalty. The flag, the Bengals? 10th of the day, gave Tampa Bay a first down at the Bengals 25.

"I guess you have to cuddle him to the ground," said Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis.

"I couldn't believe it," said Smith, who forced a fumble that was recovered by teammate Robert Geathers on the play. "That was the ballgame.

"It's a shock to everybody, except the guy who called it. He must have season tickets down here. It's pretty bad if you can't touch them. I wish I was a quarterback."

So does wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, who had his first 100-yard day of the season with 102 on 10 catches.

"They ought to put a red jersey on him and touch him with two hands," Houshmandzadeh said.

But while the Bengals licked their wounds as they waited to hear further reports on Jones, James and Washington, they also know their offense missed several chances to keep the winless Bucs at bay.

After the game Lewis said the biggest disappointment is the failure to run the ball consistently after the Bengals gained just three yards on seven carries in the first half. Running back Rudi Johnson finished with just 52 yards on 17 carries.

"It gets back to the consistency," said Eric Steinbach, who played three different positions along the offensive line Sunday. "That's what we had all last year. This year we've got a different lineup each week. Of course that's going to affect the offense."

Following the questionable roughing the passer call against Smith, Gradkowski hammered in a 10-yard pass to Clayton over the middle. He then found wide receiver Joey Galloway for seven more, and looked to flip a first down pass to fullback Mike Alstott, but it was negated by a tripping call on offensive lineman Sean Mahan.

Facing a fourth down from the Bengals 8, Gradkowski muscled it over the middle to Clayton with Bengals cornerback Keiwan Ratliff draped on him at about the 2. With strong safety Kevin Kaesviharn closing, Clayton beat the defense to the imaginary pane of glass.

The Bengals bid for the winning field goal got blown up when defensive lineman Ellis Wyms sacked Palmer on second down and Shayne Graham was forced to try a 62-yard field goal that was short and wide right. The field goal attempt was one yard shy of the NFL record of 63 shared by Tom Dempsey of New Orleans and Denver's Jason Elam.

"The challenge there is not to try and kick as hard as you can," Graham said.

Lewis said after the game he thought the field goal try was a better option than trying to throw one more pass since there were only six seconds remaining.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:22 PM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: Little Carsons excuse thread...

The refs....the damn refs cost them the game..........I can hear it now.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:32 PM   #3
steelers07
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanjoecoop View Post
Only minutes after their dismal performance and loss to the Buc's the big bungal machine is hard at work making excuses.

:sign09:

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5585

TAMPA, Fla. - The undermanned, injury-riddled Bengals defense, without three starters that included the sudden loss of middle linebacker Brian Simmons before the game, held up in the 80-degree heat until the final 35 seconds when rookie quarterback Bruce Gradkowski?s eight-yard pass on fourth down broke their heart in a 14-13 loss Sunday here at Raymond James Stadium.

The play, to Bucs wide receiver Michael Clayton, was originally ruled incomplete as the ball fell out of his hands diving to the goal line but then got overturned on replay.

The Bengals, who lost left tackle Levi Jones, cornerback Tory James and wide receiver Kelley Washington to injuries during the long frustrating day, were also enraged by several calls. The most noteworthy came with 2:45 left in the game when defensive end Justin Smith sacked Gradkowski but was called for a roughing the passer penalty. The flag, the Bengals? 10th of the day, gave Tampa Bay a first down at the Bengals 25.

"I guess you have to cuddle him to the ground," said Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis.

"I couldn't believe it," said Smith, who forced a fumble that was recovered by teammate Robert Geathers on the play. "That was the ballgame.

"It's a shock to everybody, except the guy who called it. He must have season tickets down here. It's pretty bad if you can't touch them. I wish I was a quarterback."

So does wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, who had his first 100-yard day of the season with 102 on 10 catches.

"They ought to put a red jersey on him and touch him with two hands," Houshmandzadeh said.

But while the Bengals licked their wounds as they waited to hear further reports on Jones, James and Washington, they also know their offense missed several chances to keep the winless Bucs at bay.

After the game Lewis said the biggest disappointment is the failure to run the ball consistently after the Bengals gained just three yards on seven carries in the first half. Running back Rudi Johnson finished with just 52 yards on 17 carries.

"It gets back to the consistency," said Eric Steinbach, who played three different positions along the offensive line Sunday. "That's what we had all last year. This year we've got a different lineup each week. Of course that's going to affect the offense."

Following the questionable roughing the passer call against Smith, Gradkowski hammered in a 10-yard pass to Clayton over the middle. He then found wide receiver Joey Galloway for seven more, and looked to flip a first down pass to fullback Mike Alstott, but it was negated by a tripping call on offensive lineman Sean Mahan.

Facing a fourth down from the Bengals 8, Gradkowski muscled it over the middle to Clayton with Bengals cornerback Keiwan Ratliff draped on him at about the 2. With strong safety Kevin Kaesviharn closing, Clayton beat the defense to the imaginary pane of glass.

The Bengals bid for the winning field goal got blown up when defensive lineman Ellis Wyms sacked Palmer on second down and Shayne Graham was forced to try a 62-yard field goal that was short and wide right. The field goal attempt was one yard shy of the NFL record of 63 shared by Tom Dempsey of New Orleans and Denver's Jason Elam.

"The challenge there is not to try and kick as hard as you can," Graham said.

Lewis said after the game he thought the field goal try was a better option than trying to throw one more pass since there were only six seconds remaining.
Is this all the Bengals players can talk about? I mean they never blame themselves for the problems they have on the field. Their defense sucks agains the run they are rated 30the in the NFL. Yet Marvin sits there and trys to talk shit about cuddling a Quarterback? get out of here with that SHI*. They blame everything on missing key players and all that dumb sh*t. We were missing our QB in the first game against Miami and Won, We were missing Joey Portor on our Defense tonight and WON!!! Ya know it's sounds like they are making excuses to keep the fans happy and hoping next season their stadium sells out! In almost every game the bungholes have been outplayed but some how manage to win off of some really big mistakes. I guess we will see how they rank up next week with Carolina because based on they way they have been playing the past few weeks Carolina is bound to have another win next week. I am sure though that Marvin and BUNGHOLES will come off with some excuse like "cuddling a QB" made them lose the game. BUH BYE SISSYNATI!!!

GO STEELERS!!
Old 10-15-2006, 07:57 PM   #4
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

From a Bungles forum.....

What best describes your feelings on the officiating in Bengals games this year??

Take off the orange-colored glasses - we've had calls go for us and against us this year [ 1 ] [3.85%]
We've had some bad luck and been on the short end of some calls, but then that's football [ 8 ] [30.77%]
The refs are *******s who don't like to see the Bengals do well and keep them down when they see a chance [ 9 ] [34.62%]
The refs are following an NFL mandate to help their higher-revenue teams into the playoffs [ 8 ] [30.77%]

Bunghole#1....The more I think about it and the more I watch the more I feel that the games are compromised, whether it be the refs or the mafia or the NFL the games are definitely compromised.

Helen Keller could see thats its fixed

Bunghole #2......I wonder how much of this is retribution for Mike Brown not voting for the new commissioner Roger Goodall?

may be a stretch but something is going on

"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 09:22 PM   #5
Tankus_Maximus
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 519

bwaa haaa haaa..I love it. Typical whinning lil bitchy Bungles. Some things never change.

"I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me." -Rorschach
Tankus_Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 09:27 PM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Awwww.....boo frickity hoo. Cry me a river.

Quote:
When I see shit like this stated by NFL HC's, it makes me all the more proud that our Steelers have a HC who doesn't make excuses for losing and places blame where blame is due.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 09:39 PM   #7
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044

Quote:
Once again, Marvin shows his true self, a whiny classless bitch. It doesn't matter if the call was good or bad, the head coach making a comment like this is pathetic. It's almost as bad as as his comments on Carson's injury after the playoff game last year. "There's no reason to cry about like their guy did." Grow up coach.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 09:48 PM   #8
Tankus_Maximus
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 519

Holy Censorship Batman!! HTG dropped an "S" bomb here!! You know she's upset when she starts swearing!!

"I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me." -Rorschach
Tankus_Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 09:56 PM   #9
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

The call in question was a completely retarded call and very well could have cost the Bengals that game. However, the Bengals should have beaten the Bucs early on in the game and they failed to do that. They also failed to keep the Bucs out of the endzone on 4th down. They had their shots and didn't take advantage of them...the Bengals didn't deserve to win that game.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 09:59 PM   #10
Dynasty
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2396

Hahahh..... they lost to the bucs. and we blew out the chiefs. and that amuses me.

Yeah... just had to get that off my chest.