Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-17-2006, 11:01 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,111 Times in 2,390 Posts
Default Fassel Out As Ravens O-Coordinator

Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator Jim Fassel has resigned, ESPN.com's John Clayton reported Tuesday.

The team will make the announcement official at a noon news conference.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2629319

Sounds like the panic is officially on in Baltimore. Glad to see "offensive genius" Billick is acting with typical class by blaming the coordinator for teh terrible offense since Billick's own job is on the line.

Add this to a McNair/Boller QB controversy and this team could be heading into a steep dive. I continue to be amazed by the number of commentators that remain on the Ravens bandwagon.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:10 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,099 Posts
Default Re: Fassel Out As Ravens O-Coordinator

i wonder if this gives the ravens a spark with nuhiessel calling the plays?
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:14 AM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,111 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i wonder if this gives the ravens a spark with nuhiessel calling the plays?
My take is that Billick did not run Fassel off in order to allow someone else to take over play calling. Billick is fired if the Ravens do not make the playoffs; if he is getting fired I assume he wants to be in control of his own destiny and hands on with play calling. Given the Ravens' offensive futility since Billick has been HC that is fine with me.

Of course, after watching the second half of the Panthers game the offense is not the only problem; contrary to all the hype, that defense is not going to remind anyone of the 1976 Steelers, 1985 Bears or 2000 Ravens.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:32 AM   #4
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

Yeah Steve Smith seemed like he was open all day long.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:01 PM   #5
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
My take is that Billick did not run Fassel off in order to allow someone else to take over play calling. Billick is fired if the Ravens do not make the playoffs; if he is getting fired I assume he wants to be in control of his own destiny and hands on with play calling. Given the Ravens' offensive futility since Billick has been HC that is fine with me.

Of course, after watching the second half of the Panthers game the offense is not the only problem; contrary to all the hype, that defense is not going to remind anyone of the 1976 Steelers, 1985 Bears or 2000 Ravens.
welp, you were spot on. i just listenend to part of his conference where billick announced that he fired fassel and that he would be taking over playcalling.

good call.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:59 PM   #6
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482

Well since I live in the land of the Rat-birds I was able to hear a few things.

1) Billick originally said that it was a mutual thing. And that he approached Fassel with the idea that Billick take some play calling duties and Fassel didnt like it and the 'mutually' agreed on the departure. Now it seems that is not the case that he did get fired

2) Billick claimed in the preseason that he has over 700 pages of offensive plays and that the reason they were so stagnant in the preseason is that he didnt want to give those plays away.

3) People want to know if he is being like his mentor Dennis 'They were who we thought they were' Green and firing the O-Coordinator to take some of the blame from himself.

4) A few people were actually calling for Kyle Boller...yes Boller to take the helm to see if he gets the Offense rolling

5)This one coming from Karl across the hall from me at work...'Billick better pray to god McNair doesnt get hurt again because they cant win with him so they sure as hell cant win without him. And if so...Billick is gone at seasons end.'

There ya have it. In the past 2 weeks they went from running the table and winning it all to being lucky to win another game according to a few fans.
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:39 PM   #7
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz05 View Post
5)This one coming from Karl across the hall from me at work...'Billick better pray to god McNair doesnt get hurt again because they cant win with him so they sure as hell cant win without him. And if so...Billick is gone at seasons end.'

...good ol karl!