Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-18-2006, 01:44 PM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Kemoeatu, Harrison play solid game

Found this story on-line....I was looking for media coverage of how well Kemoeatu did...I kept my eye on him during the game and thought he did well and even dominated at times. The article stated that Starks was explaining some things to him...but I sure couldnt see any hesitation of misread assignments from my viewpoint.

By: Chris Harlan - Times Sports Staff
10/16/2006

PITTSBURGH - Chris Kemoeatu was relieved when teammate Willie Parker was tackled for a loss on the game's first play.

The football was snapped.

The play was run.

And, most importantly in Kemoeatu's mind, he didn't jump off-sides.

"That first play is always nervous," said Kemoeatu, who had months to think about his first start and three days to prepare. "You think you're going to jump off-sides but you tell yourself to come off the ball - right or wrong - just to get that first play out of the way.

"After that, it was just like practice."

The second-year lineman started at right guard Sunday for the Steelers, his first action in a couple dozen games, and helped dominate the Kansas City Chiefs in a lopsided 45-7 victory at Heinz Field. Led by Parker with 109 yards, the Steelers rushed for 219 yards and three touchdowns.

Now, Kemoeatu has to wait.

The 23-year-old from Hawaii was playing in place of injured starter Kendall Simmons, who suffered a frostbite-like burn on his ankle when he fell asleep treating an injury with a cold pack. Simmons was walking gingerly in the Steelers' locker room after Sunday's game, and his availability next week in Atlanta is still uncertain. Simmons is diabetic, leaving trainers even more cautious with his health.

Kemoeatu (6-foot-3, 344 pounds) would start if Simmons were still healing, having showed coaches Sunday he's a reliable replacement. Otherwise, if Simmons is ready, Kemoeatu would likely return to the team's inactive list where he spent 23 of his 24 games with the Steelers. He dressed for last December's game against Cincinnati but didn't play. Kemoeatu said he's not going to fret, but admitted Sunday's game made him eager to keep playing.

"It was great out there," Kemoeatu said. "And to be honest, I had a lot of fun."

The second-year lineman wasn't told he would be starting until Thursday when team trainers realized Simmons' condition wouldn't be healed in time to play the Chiefs.

And Kemoeatu was excited.

"Ah, man, as soon as he told me that (I was going to play), I almost fainted," Kemoeatu said. "But it turned out pretty good. I was nervous at first when I went out there, but everyone did a good job helping me."

Right tackle Max Starks helped Kemoeatu with understanding assignments.

"Chris did a great job," Starks said. "He was a little tense at first, but we talked to him. If he had any questions, he asked us, and we got him in the right position. He performed very well."

Outside linebacker Arnold Harrison, also making his first start, had three tackles. Harrison once fought through the block of tackle Jordan Black to tackle running back Larry Johnson for a loss.

The 24-year-old was pleased with his performance.

"There are 53 men on this team and at any given time every one has to be ready to step up," Harrison said. "It was my turn. You are only as strong as your weakest link, and if I was the weakest link, we were a strong team tonight."

Harrison, like Kemoeatu, might not start another game this season if Joey Porter soon returns from his hamstring injury. But both new starters met the expectations of coach Bill Cowher.

"I feel like they did OK today," Cowher said. "I didn't see anything negative from them. Arnold is probably easier to judge. With Chris, if you're able to run for over 200 yards, obviously he's doing something right. ... I thought Arnold played fine."
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:59 PM   #2
Dynasty
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2396
Default Re: Kemoeatu, Harrison play solid game

I think we should keep Kemoeatu in definately. He performed much better that Simmons has been this season. I know some of it is that our whole team was amazingly intense, but He did a great job. I think Harrison did well, and if Peezy isn't 100% or close to it, keep him in.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:14 PM   #3
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

i would rather be safe than sorry about peezy, and i think it is funny that i knew kemoeatu was playing but couldnt tell the difference between him and steve hutchingson.....one of the best if not the best. he might of not shown dominant strength but i dont recall too many guys coming up the gut to sack ben...
Old 10-18-2006, 07:53 PM   #4
steelcurtain09
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2880

im glad about this cause it shows we have ample backups for Porter who more and more seems like he will be gone after this season