Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 10-19-2006, 12:41 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,517 Times in 3,750 Posts
Default SI Dirtiest Player Poll - Peezy #2/Hines Tied For #5

For the second time in three years, Patriots safety Rodney Harrison tops Sports Illustrated's list of dirtiest players in the NFL.

Of the 361 NFL players polled during the preseason, 23 percent of them pointed to Harrison. Second on the list were Joey Porter of the Steelers and Jon Runyan of the Eagles at 6 percent each.

"Do I take perverse pride in this?" Harrison told the Boston media. "All I can say is as many guys as say I'm a dirty player, just as many come up and tell me they admire how I play, the hard work, the commitment, the toughness. That's the pride you're looking for. I take pride in that.

"But dirty? I don't think you guys can look in my eyes and say I'm a dirty player."

Rounding out the list were Warren Sapp of the Raiders (5 percent), Kyle Turley of the Chiefs (4 percent), Hines Ward of the Steelers (4 percent), Sean Taylor of the Redskins (3 percent), John Lynch of the Broncos (3 percent), Kevin Mawae of the Titans (3 percent) and Olin Kreutz of the Bears (2 percent).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2631666

I bet it was the Ravens & Bengals who voted for Hines - I guess anytime a WR blocks it is regarded as a dirty play.

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 10-19-2006 at 12:46 PM.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:44 PM   #2
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875
Default Re: SI Dirtiest Player Poll - Peezy #2/Hines Tied For #4

Hines a dirty player? Give me a break. That's the funniest thing I've ever heard.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Other players are just hating on Hines because he's THE BEST ALL AROUND WR in the league! They don't like it when a WR comes at them and pancakes them or blocks them long enough for the RB to scoot into the end zone!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:57 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,082 Times in 4,584 Posts

hines only got 4%??? i demand a recount! a couple of years ago he was second behind harrison.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:09 PM   #5
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFanInCA View Post
Hines a dirty player? Give me a break. That's the funniest thing I've ever heard.
Stlrtruck is right on the money...Defensive backs put the dirty player label on Ward because he is one of the FEW WR who understand that if the ball doesnt come to hime he is one of the primary downfield blockers and will flat out knock you on your butt.

His label is more a product of being percieved differently because he is agressive enough to block..I have heard DB's complain about being "blindsided" by Ward....uh, yea...he blocked you. Pull your panties out of your crack and read teh rule book.

As far as Porter...he is a trash talker and makes people mad before the game even starts...he is under the microscope because of his outrageous statements and what might slide with one player will get him called dirty. But that is part of talking trash and he needs to live with that. Personally I think he reads these articles and smiles...this type of story plays right into the image he wants to portray to other teams offensives.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:30 PM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Stlrtruck is right on the money...Defensive backs put the dirty player label on Ward because he is one of the FEW WR who understand that if the ball doesnt come to hime he is one of the primary downfield blockers and will flat out knock you on your butt.

His label is more a product of being percieved differently because he is agressive enough to block..I have heard DB's complain about being "blindsided" by Ward....uh, yea...he blocked you. Pull your panties out of your crack and read teh rule book.

As far as Porter...he is a trash talker and makes people mad before the game even starts...he is under the microscope because of his outrageous statements and what might slide with one player will get him called dirty. But that is part of talking trash and he needs to live with that. Personally I think he reads these articles and smiles...this type of story plays right into the image he wants to portray to other teams offensives.
What a great post and I concur 100%. There are few wideouts in the NFL that have anywhere near the sharp defensive skills that Hines Ward possesses. Hines is just plain aggressive and gritty, not "dirty". I'm sure it grates his ass to be put on the same list as Jabba the Sapp - ughhhh.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:36 PM   #7
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

Haha...that is ****ing ridiculous.
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:37 PM   #8
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

Hines is a bad a-- mother f------ ... most of the time when you see him smiling it's because he just got thru smokin somebody on a running play...I guarantee every DB that has played against him voted for Hines
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:51 PM   #9
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I'm sure it grates his ass to be put on the same list as Jabba the Sapp - ughhhh.
he commented on it a year or 2 ago, in an article, when he was named 2nd dirtiest. he was laughing and saying how can a 6 foot 200 lb. wr be dirty? he said he really took it as a sign of respect from his peers of how hard he plays the game. i think he was kind of proud to be on the list.

2004SI Players Poll
Based on a survey of 354 current and former players. Players were not allowed to vote for members of their own team.
Who is the dirtiest player in the NFL?

Rodney Harrison (S, Patriots).... 15%
Hines Ward (WR, Steelers) ........ 9%
Jon Runyan (T, Eagles) ................ 8%
Dan Neil (G, Broncos) ................... 8%
Kyle Turley (T, Rams) ................... 6%
Frank Middleton (G, Raiders) ...... 4%
Kenoy Kennedy (S, Broncos) .......4%
John Welbourn (T, Chiefs)............ 3%
Tom Nalen (C, Broncos) ............... 3%
Chris Hovan (DT, Vikings) ............ 3%

i think i found it. great (old and long) h.w. article: http://insider.espn.go.com/proxy/pro...3fid%3d1909641

...Which is why a recent SI poll of NFL players highlights the Ward Paradox. Despite his jocular attitude and self-made status, he was voted the second-dirtiest player in the NFL, and right now he can't decide whether to be offended, flattered or, as a third option, insulted that Patriots safety Rodney Harrison won the vote by a safe margin.

"I'm not a dirty player, but it's unheard of to have a wideout on a list of dirtiest players," he says. "A wideout? That's crazy." Ward, sitting on a bench near the Steelers' practice field, motions in the direction of the room behind him, where most of the team's linemen are grunting and flexing their way through weight workouts. "Look, a six-foot, 205-pound guy is the second-dirtiest player in this league? Come on. I'm going to block you 'til the whistle blows, and if that's dirty, I'm a dirty player."

Ward has been fined by the NFL just once in his seven-year career, for taunting after he flattened Browns safety Earl Little with a block in a game three years ago. The Steelers threw a pass into the flat, and Ward caught Little with a perfect shot. Ward stood over the unconscious Little and enjoyed the moment a bit too much. He immediately apologized, but he says, "Two plays before, he tried to take my head off, then looked at me and said, 'You Chinese bitch.' "I've heard that stuff all my life," Ward says. "Usually it doesn't bother me. But if you're going to talk stuff and try to take me out, I'm coming at you. Cleanly and fairly. But I'm coming."...
Old 10-19-2006, 01:55 PM   #10
tony hipchest
Supporter

heres another old article i found posted on a board:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rod Woodson laughed when he was asked if he thought Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward deserved to be named the second-dirtiest player in the NFL.
"When he hit me inside my ear a couple times, yeah," Woodson, a former All-Pro defensive back, said. "But, I told him, I believe he is one of the top four wide receivers in the league, with Terrell Owens, Randy (Moss) and Marvin Harrison."

Ward, who combines aggressiveness with productivity as well as any player in the NFL, was surprised when he heard Thursday that a Sports Illustrated poll of 354 former and current players listed him second among the dirtiest players in the league. He received 9 percent of the vote, behind only New England Patriots safety Rodney Harrison, who got 15 percent.

"Thats tough," Ward said. "Is that something to be proud of? No, not really, because I don't play the game dirty."

But he admits that his insistence on blocking until the whistle blows angers many defensive backs.

"I get under their skin and really (make them mad)," he said. "I guess I'm the most-hated wideout in the league."

Ward remembers belting Woodson in a game against the Ravens in Baltimore, but he said he was within the rules.

"He just never expected a wideout to go after a defensive back," he said. "A lot of defensive backs don't expect to get blocked like I do (it). The way I approach the game, I'm going to hit you before you hit me.

Ward said he doesn't look at the defensive backs when he's running across the middle to make a catch. He also doesn't expect the defensive backs to look for him when theyre trying to tackle the ball carrier.

"I think it's fair. If you're going to hit me when I'm not looking, I'm going to hit you when you're not looking," Ward said. Steelers defensive end Travis Kirschke, who played in San Francisco last year, said 49ers coaches warned their players to watch out for Ward.

"You're not worried about (fullback) Dan Kreider putting the hit on you or (guard) Alan Faneca coming around the corner?" Ward said. "You're worried about a 200-pound wideout coming to knock your head off? I take that as a compliment."

Ward has been fined by the NFL, but he said it was only for taunting -- not for hard hits. Rodney Harrison, on the other hand, has paid $300,000 in fines in his career.

Ward said he hit Harrison hard one day, but it had little effect on him.

"He looked at me and shrugged his neck and said, 'I like that,'" Ward said.

Ward didn't vote in the SI poll, but he said all defensive backs play dirty.

"When I come across the middle, they are all trying to take my head off, so I have no sympathy for anybody else," he said.

Jerry DiPaula