Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-20-2006, 10:30 AM   #21
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Re: And after Cowher there was....Wannstedt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
And I just got my call from the Rooney's. I'm 6th on the coaching list, right under Whineystedt! But they wouldn't tell me who the top 4 were!!!

And I love Da 'Burgh too! Who wants to be my assistant coaches?
Can I be head of the drive to bring in cheerleaders?!!!....I hate cheerleaders and promise to tell them all they are not qualified....But getting paid to watch sweaty ladies bouncing around for seven weeks sounds like a job I may get up early for.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:42 AM   #22
clarient
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1742

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Can I be head of the drive to bring in cheerleaders?!!!....I hate cheerleaders and promise to tell them all they are not qualified....But getting paid to watch sweaty ladies bouncing around for seven weeks sounds like a job I may get up early for.
My University band was asked to play for the Saints when they were stationed in San Antonio last season - and the cheerleaders were right in front of us. Let me tell you, they are not attractive close up.

I would hate to see cheerleaders in Black and Gold... I think they're fairly useless in an NFL game (different story in high school/college... but NFL?! No way...) and we don't need to pay a bunch of girls to wear our colors and cheer for our team when we've got a stadium full of people who are doing that already.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:01 PM   #23
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Before we get too deeply into why the Steelers are too good for Cheerbabes.....let me ask you guys what you think about the 'minority quota' issue?

Do you think its right that there should be a deliberate push to get more coaches of a wider ethnic diversity into the NFL?

If that doesn't grab you then how about picking one current HC from the NFL that could theoretically step in after Cowher - dont worry too much about contracts and other realistic stuff - if you could have one guy who would it be?

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:39 PM   #24
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Before we get too deeply into why the Steelers are too good for Cheerbabes.....let me ask you guys what you think about the 'minority quota' issue?

Do you think its right that there should be a deliberate push to get more coaches of a wider ethnic diversity into the NFL?

If that doesn't grab you then how about picking one current HC from the NFL that could theoretically step in after Cowher - dont worry too much about contracts and other realistic stuff - if you could have one guy who would it be?

NM
Breakdown of United states demographic

White American, 80.4%, or about 238.3 million, (the definition of White includes Hispanic people who are White or reported "some other race" in the 2000 census)

Black or African American 12.8% or 37.9 million,

Asian American 4.2% or 12.4 million,

American Indian 1% or 2.9 million

Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander 0.2% or 0.6 million,

Two or more races 1.5% or 4.5 million

With 32 teams...if my calculations are correct, 6.2 jobs would go to minorities with roughly 4 jobs going to Black Americans...currently we have...
1)Lovie Smith/Bears
2)Herm Edwards/Chiefs
3)Tony Dungy/Colts...
4)Dennis Green/Cardinals.
5)Romeo Crennel/Cleveland
6)Art Shell/Raiders

There are also 5 GM jobs held by Minorites....(all of this should be credited to the "Rooney Rule" of 2002)

Seems like a non-issue unless someone is complaining that we dont have enough Hispanic or Asian coaches.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:47 PM   #25
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,826 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote:

NM
what i think is wrong is a deliberat attemp by the good ol boys to prevent minorities from obtaining these positions. kinda like the glass ceiling in the business world that prevents women from ascending the corporate ladder.

lovie smith, tony dungy, or jon gruden could be the successor to cowher.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:51 PM   #26
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
Living in Tampa, you wouldn't want gruden as a coach. Ever since the Super Bowl, he has pretty much demolished the scubs. He might be good for a season or two but not someone I want at the helm for a very long time. He would send our team back to the good ole days of the 30's and 40's!!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 01:15 PM   #27
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

Quote:

NM
It doesn't matter what anybody thinks - Rooney pushed as hard as any of the other owners for their current policy - he will take a beating if he doesn't hire a minority - people like the Reverend Jackson will paint him as a hypocrite - doesn't matter if there are already 10 or 20 other African American coaches...
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:09 PM   #28
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
what i think is wrong is a deliberat attemp by the good ol boys to prevent minorities from obtaining these positions. kinda like the glass ceiling in the business world that prevents women from ascending the corporate ladder.

The good ole boy system is alive in well in most aspects of corporate America...but I think that the NFL can legitamatly argue that they have been very proactive in bringing in very talented competant minorities
Old 10-20-2006, 02:14 PM   #29
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

IMHO, I think giving a minority the opportunity (aka the interview) to prove himself worthy of the position is ok but to offer him the position just based on that fact alone can be destructive to the organization as a whole!

I'm sorry I'm more of a proponent of the "IF HE'S THE BEST MAN FOR THE JOB GIVE IT TO HIM" school - regardless of anything else!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:42 PM   #30
steelcurtain09
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2880

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Nahhhh - you're both wrong. Billick is going to get the boot this year and become the next Steelers HC. *ducks from cyber rocks being thrown my way*

If the Steelers want to hire a minority - why not promote Mean Joe Greene from his current position as special assistant for player personnel?
cyber rocks?
how bout cyber bullets/grenades/rockets/tactical nuclear warheads
Quote:

u r 2 creepy.
tht was just on my PSAT i took on wednesday