Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-20-2006, 07:21 PM   #1
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329
Default More Najeh?

Does anyone else out there want to see the Steelers move back to pounding with the big back and then using the speed back? Kind of like they used to do with Bam Morris and Eric Pegram.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:24 PM   #2
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047
Default Re: More Najeh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatypus View Post
Does anyone else out there want to see the Steelers move back to pounding with the big back and then using the speed back? Kind of like they used to do with Bam Morris and Eric Pegram.
Yes and they will this week -- when something works, the Chin will stick with it until somebody stops it -- my prediction -- Parker 28 -115 yards carries, Davenport 14 - 57 yards, Hayes 2 -12
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:33 PM   #3
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo View Post
Yes and they will this week -- when something works, the Chin will stick with it until somebody stops it -- my prediction -- Parker 28 -115 yards carries, Davenport 14 - 57 yards, Hayes 2 -12
That is actually the exact opposite of what I was talking about. Something along the lines of Davenport w/ 28 carries and Parker filling in.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:46 PM   #4
Jacknut
Water Boy
Supporter

Member Number: 3331

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatypus View Post
That is actually the exact opposite of what I was talking about. Something along the lines of Davenport w/ 28 carries and Parker filling in.
Uh... you want to take a 1,200 rusher and replace him with someone who has never been a #1 back in his career? Davenports career totals don't match Parker's total from last year.
Jacknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:25 PM   #5
Da Steeler Soprano
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3285

Yea no way Parker is taking the back seat to 4 x 4. However I do wanna see Davenport get alot more carries on third and short and goal line. In order to start proving himself as a quality power back in Pittsburgh he has some big big shoes to fill, he maybe has a toe filled in now, and hopefully a couple more toes in after this week if you know what I mean.

"If I could live my life over I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack Lambert
Da Steeler Soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:54 PM   #6
BigDaddy36
Water Boy

Member Number: 3407

No way Davenport becomes the #1 back...That job is Parker's no doubt. But Najeh has proven he is dependable in 3rd down situations and spelling Parker when he needs a break. Also, he is surprisingly strong on kick returns too, so maybe that will be good for him to do as well, given we need stability on the return game. We need someone back there that isn't going to fumble.
BigDaddy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:13 PM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I am in agreement... Parker is our back of the future.

SPEED KILLS

There is no way any of our big backs would have taken the ball to the house in the SB last year. That is what speed does.

When you have a big back, and you substitute a speed back, it tells the defense that there is a much better chance that we are going to pass or run around the corner.

Now, when we line up on first down with Parker... We MAY pound it.. we may call a screen, we may go short to a WR or we may go deep. With a big back, either we pound it.. or throw it. If the DB's want to crowd the line, they can...and if the Big back gets through... he will get caught from behind most of the time by a CB/Safety.

When they do that with Willie... if he breaks through.. HE is GONE!

So they back away... cover the pass, and willie can break 6-10 yarders, which, with the speed difference, would be 3-5 yarders for 4X4.

Beyond this... You keep the big guy fresh for the second half. When the D is tired... you then make them face 4X4 coming at them fresh and at full speed. Then, when they where down even more... go up top to our receivers for 30/50/70 yards and put the game away.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:02 PM   #8
Btrice
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3145

I think with using Davenport more that will free up Haynes to move back into his misdirection role on third down running/screen plays. One thing that I think more teams should do more of is misdirection. Its the heart of the trick play, but it also works when you have two completely different style backs who are both competent.

Look at what Bush and McAllister are doing in N.O., McAllister is on track to put up the kind of numbers he did in 02-03, and the big reason is having Reggie in there to take focus off of the defense having to gameplay just for Deuce.

Najeh is kind of a wildcard right now. He got quite a few carries last game but he is is a relative unknown in this offense, this is obviously a good thing.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:32 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,484 Times in 3,950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btrice View Post
I think with using Davenport more that will free up Haynes to move back into his misdirection role on third down running/screen plays. One thing that I think more teams should do more of is misdirection. Its the heart of the trick play, but it also works when you have two completely different style backs who are both competent.

Look at what Bush and McAllister are doing in N.O., McAllister is on track to put up the kind of numbers he did in 02-03, and the big reason is having Reggie in there to take focus off of the defense having to gameplay just for Deuce.

Najeh is kind of a wildcard right now. He got quite a few carries last game but he is is a relative unknown in this offense, this is obviously a good thing.
interresting about deuce. giving away about 5-10 carries a game has probably added 20-30 yds to his average. i think davenport can do the same for willie.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:33 PM   #10
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

I agree in some ways.

I think that Willie Parker will stay our running back, and then Coach will bring in Verron Haynes and Najeh for third down and for Goaline. Of course, I think they'll use Najeh at the goaline more because of his size. I have no clue what they are going to use Duce for, he is a good back, but we haven't seen alot of him lately.