Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-22-2006, 10:17 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,926 Times in 3,001 Posts
Default it was a great game

as shitty as the final results were. it would be much easier if there were 1 play or mistake that you could pin the loss on but there were atleast a dozen. i couldnt believe cowher challenged the dunn td thinking we were gonna need that time out. i couldnt believe we didnt drive for a quick fg when we had 40 + seconds at the end of the half and were moving the ball at will. and i couldnt believe that when we had been shutting opponents tight ends down all year (including gates, gonzalez, mcmichael) we let crumpler run wild. dont blame the secondary for thir best receiver going off. i said in an earlier thread that the steelers needed to be more wary of vick throwing the ball. i thought he could have a field day if polamalu was playing spy and focussed on shutting down the run. but i guess that is the double edged sword vick possesses. if troy doubles crumpler vick runs.

as good as washington is, he needs to leave the dancing to hines.

atleast we got morey on st. otherwise it could be real bad.

parker and holmes are trying to hard to make something out of nothing. they should learn from ben and verron. when you try to do that, you turn thre ball over. theres no need for any steeler to try and win the game all by themselves. theyve got good teammates.

porter looks just as focused on the sidelines as he does when he is in the game. he is missed on the field. underpaid or not, sacks/ big plays or not, he is gonna give it his all while he is out there. losing him will have the same affect as losing jerome.

mcfadden is like glue. he could (should) be given a suprise early extension next year.

hines ward burned and outran one of the best and quickest cb's in the game...with 1 shoe!

ben is one of the best 1st half qb's out there. going into the half i felt hes gonna throw for 400+ yds and 4-5 td's. (i had a feeling they werent gonna be able to grind out the clock or have a big enough lead to do so). i wasnt worried with batch but i was bummed for ben losing what was gonna be a career day. a day he would prove all doubters wrong (again).

if i were an atl fan i'd be giddy. if i were a non commited nfl fan i'd feel like i witnessed the game of the year. as a steelerfan i am pissed. we were killing the birds. 3 seconds away from possibly kicking a game winning fg and hearing how great the sb champs are, instead we get to listen to all the media and opposing fans shovel dirt on our team.

playoffs or not, i look forward to watching the steelers play as hard as they did today. this year and beyond.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:25 PM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: it was a great game

AMEN Tony! Great post babe!

The only thing I disagree with you on here is the Steelers not continuing the drive before the half with 40 secs left on the ticker. With the contagious fumbilitis the team seemed to have and the Steelers on their own 23, I think Cowher's decision to have Ben take the knee(s) to end the half was the best decision. We came out of the half ahead 24-21 and starting the second half on offense.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:38 PM   #3
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

GREAT post Tony! You've summed up my feelings pretty well. That was a tough one....let's move on.

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:49 PM   #4
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
AMEN Tony! Great post babe!

The only thing I disagree with you on here is the Steelers not continuing the drive before the half with 40 secs left on the ticker. With the contagious fumbilitis the team seemed to have and the Steelers on their own 23, I think Cowher's decision to have Ben take the knee(s) to end the half was the best decision. We came out of the half ahead 24-21 and starting the second half on offense.
thanks. i understand that school of thought, but ive always felt thats not playing to win, but playing to lose. the fumbleitis is just as likely to strike the 1st drive of the 2nd half. we cant kneel on the ball then.

ive always felt that time is a prescious commodity in the nfl and i hate wasting it. at the end of the game we sure couldve used (or wish we had) those seconds to win it. at the end of the year those seconds could be the difference of the playoffs or going home.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:15 PM   #5
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044

Great post Tony. I remember your comment about the Steelers needing to stop the pass first, and making the Falcons play into our strength of stopping the run. I was thinking about it most of the game. We focused on stopping the run against the Chargers, and forcing the QB to beat us. Only problem is, he did. That gameplan only works if the QB can't beat you, which is what happened against KC.

As for the few seconds we needed at the end of the game, those were seconds that we should have had. I won't say it's the reason we lost, because it was just one of many, and we don't know if Reed's FG would have been good. But there is still an unanswered question. How do you run into the kicker if you're lying on the ground facing away from him?
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:24 AM   #6
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post

I mean, just look at the final field goal sequence in regulation, for chrissakes. That alone was pretty much a microcosm of the game. You can't be happy about losing, but it just happened
im glad you said that, cause todays game could very well be a microcosm of the whole season