Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-23-2006, 03:36 PM   #21
emmysDAD
Water Boy

Member Number: 3307
Default Re: BEN REPORT: CONCUSSION

I am not tryin to incite fear or scare our fans I am just sayin they should take it slow with Ben make sure his head is ok. Remmeber the fat kid from Varisty Blue...J/K
Old 10-23-2006, 03:45 PM   #22
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysDAD View Post
So should would be concerned? I mean the man hit his head in June, and now another concussion, in less than six months...Head injuries worry me...
I'm not concerned. Any QB that sustained the type of hit Ben took yesterday would be concussed. Sandwiched between helmets (one on the jaw line) would knock a good number of QB's out. It's impossible for anybody to tell if it's going to become a trend (concussed on lesser hits in the future), but it's completely understandable why he went down after that hit yesterday.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 10-23-2006 at 03:51 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:59 PM   #23
emmysDAD
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
I'm not concerned. Any QB that sustained the type of hit Ben took yesterday would be concussed. Sandwiched between helmets (one on the jaw line) would knock a good number of QB's out. It's impossible for anybody to tell if it's going to become a trend (concussed on lesser hits in the future), but it's completely understandable why he went down after that hit yesterday.

I am just saying that it's his second concussion in 4 months. It only take like 5 or six concussions to end a players career. and while any QB could have suffered a concussion there, his last one wasn't even 6 months ago. So let's say nothing serious and back comes Ben next week and gets the same or simular type hit. boom that's three concussions in 4 months and all of the sudden you future franchise QB is worth anything. When you get a concussion you are more likely to get another before the season ends.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:02 PM   #24
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Well, then I guess it's hard to say. Willie Parker could break his leg next week (knock on wood). Ricardo Coclough might learn how to catch a ball (sorry, bad example). You get my point.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:16 PM   #25
DoctorJanSteelerFan
Water Boy

Member Number: 1126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh View Post
There's no way in hell Cowher will put Ben in and risk a much more severe consiquence.

Think about it, on the road ... in the Black Hole no less .... with a bunch of hungry street thugs looking to beat up on a dinged up QB as a way to get the win they so desperately need.

no way he plays ... that's foolish man's talk.
Blitzburgh is absolutely right.

It would be INSANE, medically negligent and potentially life-threatening if they allow Ben to play next week.
(And, sorry to say, possibly much longer.) If he lost consciousness (especially longer than 5 seconds) then it will depend on a VERY good neurologist to make a VERY thorough assessment to estimate when he can return to play. (NOT NOT NOT JUST A TEAM PHYSICIAN!!! )

Each concussion is cumulative and can have long-term effects. There needs to be a proper amount of time to recover from each incident. IMO his motorcycle accident should have kept him out of games for at least 6 months (I don't mean intense practices). Allowing an athlete to return to play too early increases their chances of more serious brain injury. Memory, reaction time and processing speed can all be affected. (Possibly why Ben looked so sluggish until Kansas City.) Is it worth jeopardizing his ENTIRE career for a few games? If he is put back in too early and suffers another severe concussion it could be the END of his football career. I hope to God they finally realize this and stop being so short-sighted.

Meanwhile, we have a perfectly good QB in Batch the Steeler Nation can rally behind and IMO we can win lots of games with him. Every real fan sees we have a great team. Whatever happens, I would rather lose this season then see a talented young guy like Ben lose his career or his life from short-sighted medical and coaching decisions.
DoctorJanSteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 04:17 PM   #26
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,801 Times in 2,682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichmondVA View Post
We are still the best team in the AFC North (and in all of Football IMO)

3. Who is the best team in the AFC North?

Allen: It seems strange right now to say this, but the best team in the AFC North is the Pittsburgh Steelers. Ignore for a moment that they lost in overtime against the Falcons and think about what this offense has done the past two weeks. They've completely dominated two good defenses with two different quarterbacks. The running game looks refreshed and Ben Roethlisberger and Charlie Batch both have an excellent grasp of this offense and are executing their play calls. This team would beat the Bengals and Ravens with Batch or Roethlisberger leading the way.

Hoge: It's the Steelers in a landslide. They have an excellent blend of offense and defense and are starting to look like the Steelers from last year. This team will be hard to beat down the stretch, even if Roethlisberger has to miss time. Backup quarterback Charlie Batch is more than capable of winning games.

Salisbury: Despite losing Sunday to the Falcons, the Steelers are back and they have fewer questions surrounding them than any other team in the AFC North. The Ravens have trouble moving the ball on offense and even with a good defense, you have to put points on the board in this division. The Bengals are having offensive line issues that have slowed their explosive offense. Cleveland just isn't ready. That leaves the Steelers, who have the right combination of offensive and defensive excellence to contend.
Well that's just dandy to hear the Steelers are the consensus favorites at ESPN.com - if this was the BCS maybe the Steelers would be ahead in the polls.

This team has coughed up 10 point leads in two of the last three games and simply gave yesterday's game away with the turnovers (for the second time in 4 games). Combine that with the defense seeming to immediately give up a TD whenever we turn it over in our end of the field (2 more yesterday to go with 2 in the Cincy game - see a pattern as to reasons for 2 gift wrapped losses?).

I was at the game yesterday and can tell you the crowd was loaded with Steelers fans and ready to have the Falcons fans turn on their own team at the start of the game (before Santonio's horrible fumble) and midway throiugh the 2nd Q (until Ben and Hartings got confused on the snap and fumbled away the start of a drive that could have ended the game in the 2nd Q).

Something about this team is simply off (another celebration penalty?!) in terms of both discipline and just getting lousy breaks (e.g. - the kicker tripping up Holmes on what would have been a TD return) and unless they go undefeated for the next six weeks I am pretty glum about their prospects as they are 2 games down to 2 teams in their division. I am beginning to be convinced the breaks even out and this team overdrew its good karma balance last January. Getting a SB makes that worthwhile to me and this season less bitter; maybe some of the players and HC subconciously feel that way too.

Until I see a replay the hit on Ben really worries me - it did not look that vicious from where I sat and for him to apparently be knocked cold makes me worry (as discusssed in another thread) of his vulnerability to future concussions after the wreck.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 04:17 PM   #27
emmysDAD
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Well, then I guess it's hard to say. Willie Parker could break his leg next week (knock on wood). Ricardo Coclough might learn how to catch a ball (sorry, bad example). You get my point.
Yeah but willie parker breaking his leg might effect us this season, but Big Ben going down with concussions could end his career, that's my point...
Old 10-23-2006, 04:18 PM   #28
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Replace his skull with a steel plate and put him back out there.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:20 PM   #29
emmysDAD
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorJanSteelerFan View Post

It would be INSANE, medically negligent and potentially life-threatening if they allow Ben to play next week.
(And, sorry to say, possibly much longer.) If he lost consciousness (especially longer than 5 seconds) then it will depend on a VERY good neurologist to make a VERY thorough assessment to estimate when he can return to play. (NOT NOT NOT JUST A TEAM PHYSICIAN!!! )

Each concussion is cumulative and can have long-term effects. There needs to be a proper amount of time to recover from each incident. IMO his motorcycle accident should have kept him out of games for at least 6 months (I don't mean intense practices). Allowing an athlete to return to play too early increases their chances of more serious brain injury. Memory, reaction time and processing speed can all be affected. (Possibly why Ben looked so sluggish until Kansas City.) Is it worth jeopardizing his ENTIRE career for a few games? If he is put back in too early and suffers another severe concussion it could be the END of his football career. I hope to God they finally realize this and stop being so short-sighted.

Meanwhile, we have a perfectly good QB in Batch the Steeler Nation can rally behind and IMO we can win lots of games with him. Every real fan sees we have a great team. Whatever happens, I would rather lose this season then see a talented young guy like Ben lose his career or his life from short-sighted medical and coaching decisions.

That's what I am saying...Hold him out for at least 2-4 weeks is my vote...
Old 10-23-2006, 04:22 PM   #30
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,801 Times in 2,682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorJanSteelerFan View Post

I agree he sits until he gets a complete work-up that clears him - the box I was in at the game had a TV and Simms said Ben forgot the snap count on one play and someone had a brain cramp on the fumbled snap in the 2nd Q - that normally would mean nothing but maybe not.

Batch has the confidence of the team - hindsight is flawless but Ben should not have been rushed back for Jax. Rushing him back for a season that appears to be heading down anyhow at the risk of a career is madness.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote