Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-23-2006, 04:44 PM   #1
Football Freek
Water Boy

Member Number: 3258
Default I Think it's Safe to Say Kemo should Start Over Simmons

Here's an article from SteelCityInsider:

http://steelers.scout.com/2/582340.html

I knew Bill Cowher?s head wasn?t in the game when he got mad over the first-half official?s review of Santonio Holmes?s catch. Cowher didn?t realize, I surmise, that the booth called for the replay instead of the timeout-less Falcons, and upon realization still played it out by menacing the review of a pass Holmes did indeed bobble before pulling in.
Cowher recovered in the second half to make his best decision of the year. He allowed line coach Russ Grimm to yank Kendall Simmons. His last play at right guard was Willie Parker?s fumble. Simmons appeared to take his first step right, as if he was supposed to pull, and Justin Babineaux steamed right through the opening and blew up the play. Parker tried to reverse field and coughed it up. That was it for Simmons, who was replaced ? probably for the rest of the season ? by Chris Kemoeatu.

Now, Kemoeatu didn?t blow open holes or get out in front of any screen passes the rest of the way. In fact his best contribution came on the tying 17-yard touchdown pass to Hines Ward. Kemoeatu grabbed the 286-pound Babineaux and flung him to his right, where he spilled into Max Starks and the man Starks was blocking. The aerial replay of this ?block? showed Kemoeatu bowling with Babineaux and picking up the spare. Not that it had much effect on the play. Or did it? It did help create that big pocket for Charlie Batch. There was room, something Simmons rarely helped with.

So, I say to Cowher, good move, even if you were only overseeing your kingdom. Of course, that?s part of your job. The wise head coach allows his assistants to coach while you run over to share jokes with opposing quarterbacks on potential game-winning drives.

Did you ever play with a star who before games would slide over to the other team and talk to their star? It?s a disgusting bit of pre-game ego-massaging in my book. Well, the game has evolved to the point where you can do it in the midst of a last-minute drive. You, too, can put yourself on the same level as other stars with a smile and a joke above and beyond the fray ? the fray in which the players are spilling blood and guts.

So, anyway, where was this cool dude when it came time for him to do his most important job?

Clock management had been a notorious Cowher problem until last season, but it reared its ugly head again. Cowher had squandered one timeout by ordering a review of an easy touchdown run by Warrick Dunn. Maybe it wasn?t such a bad move; perhaps the coach saw something.

He did not, and in a game he was trailing he was now down a timeout.

The second timeout saved the game. Was it genius that Cowher waited to ice the kicker before a 56-yarder with 30 seconds left? I don?t know. He was in a frantic first-half rush to call a timeout when the Falcons had 12 men on the field and were trying to call their own timeout, so I?ll assume his head was somewhere else again and assume he forgot to call this timeout, too. Either way, good result. The good kick was blown dead.

Down to his last timeout, Cowher blundered. A missed field goal from 52 yards would give the Steelers the ball at the 42. With 25 seconds and one timeout, the Pittsburgh Steelers had an opening to steal a game that they were otherwise giving away. What a way to get out of this mess!

But Cowher burned the last timeout to freeze the kicker, a kicker who?d been on and off the field so many times that another stoppage of play would only provide rest. He was tired -- according to TV analyst Phil Simms -- from his other two long attempts.

Not that I agree with Simms on this, but what was the point of the timeout? If there?s no time left and you won?t need it, fine, throw it away.

This is where Cowher lost his head again. This is the point in the game where the head coach must be thinking clearly. The Steelers did get the ball and did complete one pass and were in line for a 50-yard kick at the gun that was Jeff Reed?s destiny on this kicker?s day in the NFL. He?d boomed his previous kickoff, and you could sense that the struggling kicker, who will not admit to slumps, was going to come out of his. But you know the rest of the story: illegal procedure, Nate Washington, flinch, drained clock, mad coach, mad owner.

So, with Rooney running to Cowher?s rescue this game will be remembered for an official?s incompetence and not Coach Clockenstein?s.

Sure, this team should?ve tackled Vick on third-and-nine, and sure their corners should?ve gotten around Alge Crumpler?s big butt and broken up a pass or two, and sure they could?ve held onto the ball better, but the Steelers were in their third ferocious road battle against a desperate team, and that team was playing well, as the others have done against the Super Bowl champs. While it?s easy to cast blame on the entire team for not responding with ferocity in return, is it asking too much of the head coach to perform his only true task on game day?
Football Freek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:00 PM   #2
CrimsonSteeler3443
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3022
Default Re: I Think it's Safe to Say Kemo should Start Over Simmons

As long as we win I dont care who is blocking.
CrimsonSteeler3443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:04 PM   #3
emmysDAD
Water Boy

Member Number: 3307

I like this guy Kemowhatevathef*ck his name is...I'd let simmons go after this season...
Old 10-23-2006, 05:05 PM   #4
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Chris Kemoeatu should start at RG over Kendall Simmons.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:27 PM   #5
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

I AGREE 1000 %... I have been saying this all along for awhile now... Keomateau is the man on that right sided in my opinion
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:01 PM   #6
BigDuke6
Banned

Member Number: 2238

I have to agree with a lot of what was said by SteelrInsider. Cowher allowed this one to slip away with some bad judgement calls. But when you really think about it, hasnt he made a reputation for that over the years ? Really, the only thing that has allowed that rep to fade was SBXL and the run up to it.
BigDuke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:17 PM   #7
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Kendall Simmons has been stinking up the field this season and it's well over due for this move to be made.

We could see Chris maybe get a match-up or two against his brother Maake who is a defensive tackle for Carolina when the Steelers play the Panthers later in the season.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:52 PM   #8
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

i really like kemoeatu and im not a big fan of simmons but this is a hard decision for me anyway. kemoeatu is probably our strongest guy on our line, and he has perfomed well when we decide to run a lot in a game(cheifs game-we rushed 42-43 times).
Old 10-24-2006, 08:37 AM   #9
Tankus_Maximus
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 519

Kemoeatu is a MONSTER.

"I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me." -Rorschach
Tankus_Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:39 AM   #10
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

While I don't see it happening (Cowher likes his vets not matter what the case), I would like to see them play Kemo more often to see what he brings to the table.