Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 10-24-2006, 08:42 AM   #11
SteelPerch
Water Boy

Member Number: 3378
Default Re: I Think it's Safe to Say Kemo should Start Over Simmons

Simmons has been the weak link on the O-line for YEARS. Kemo is far better and should have been the starter since week 1.

Bet Cowher doesn't yank Simmons until Ben or Charlie gets KO'd again...
SteelPerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:48 AM   #12
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Though I think that article contains a lot of hooey, the one thing I do agree with is that Simmons needs to be riding the pine and Kemo should definitely be starting at RG. Simmons has always been the weak link on that line - in this case, they need to fix what IS broken.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 10:43 AM   #13
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

Kemoeatu should have started at the end of last year......
I think he is much better and more powerfull than simmons......
Old 10-24-2006, 10:47 AM   #14
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

I like Kemoeatu. He has proved he can do well and that he can hold his own. I wouldn't mind seeing him start at all and I think he should be starting.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:43 AM   #15
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,343 Times in 2,905 Posts

Simmons signed a six year contract in 2002; this supposedly is how it works out for cap purposes:

Kendall Simmons, OL, signed a six-year contract worth $7.1 million, which included a $3.213984 million signing bonus. This contract was signed on or around July 25, 2002 as reported by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

According to the linked site, his cap numbers for 2007 will be as follows:

Base salary Signing bonus Cap value
$900,000 $535,664 $1,435,664

In terms of dead money if he gets cut, is it just the salary bonus that will count againt the cap in 2007? I agree Simmoins is the weak link on the OL, but Faneca will not last forever. It may make financial sense to keep Simmons in 2007.

http://www.geocities.com/steelersala...allSimmons.htm
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:00 PM   #16
potter86
Water Boy

Member Number: 3501

I love Cowher bashing articles and writers who talk about how he made a terrible decision with timeouts and blah blah blah blah blah.

Hindsight is 20-20.

Imagine this scenario. Our boy Bill, with one timeout left late in the fourth quarter, decides that he'll take his chances with the kicker and his fresh legs. So he keeps the timeout in his pocket, safe and sound, just in case the guy misses.

Now, assume he misses, the Steelers go on and get a shot at winning the game (which was by no means a sure thing with what Jeff Reed has shown this season from the distance at which he would have been kicking from), they make it and win. Woo hoo! Go Steelers. Cowher is a hero.

But what if the Atlanta kicker had banged off the long fieldgoal right through the uprights. All we hear for the upcoming week is "Cowher is a fool who can't manage the clock! Fire Cowher... or give him a lesson in T.O. management."

As a head coach in that kind of situation you have one primary concern. KEEP YOUR TEAM ALIVE. Any coach in their right mind uses the timeout and keeps their team in the game. Cowher is a million dollar man in Pittsburgh. He's paid to know these things, and he knows that icing the kicker works.

What should have happened was the ref doesn't throw that BOGUS flag on Troy Polomalu for running into the kicker and the Steelers begin their drive with a timeout in their pocket and better field position. They walk downfield, call timeout, Reed kicks it in, we're 3-3.

You wanna make changes in what happened. I suggest three things.

1. Kemoatu is a better prospect than Simmons, the future will show who is really better, but give Chris a shot.

2. Get the NFL to tell the refs "when in doubt, KEEP IT IN THE POCKET!!!".

3. Get the NFL to rework their overtime. NFL OT sucks. Its pure luck. If the league can take up time to make a new rule about touchdown celebrations they sure as hell ought to be able to replace the joke-of-an-overtime that they are using now.
potter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:00 PM   #17
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

If he gets cut... it is the Signing bonus that counts, not the base. So the question is, is it worth it to have half a mil of dead money on the books with a position that needs to be filled, or is it better to have half a million riding the pine, but knowlegeable enough to step in if necessary?

The next question is, who do we need to sign back in the offseason? Also, who is available for us to go get. I know that we don't like free-agency, but dang it... WE NEED A BETTER CB.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:02 PM   #18
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedosesteelers2006 View Post
I AGREE 1000 %... I have been saying this all along for awhile now... Keomateau is the man on that right sided in my opinion

Not after watching the Jacksonville game did I think it anymore but who on the line played well that day. I was big on C.K. coming into the season. Now it looks like we are starting to see the real him. I feel very very sad for Simmons but there is life after football.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:44 PM   #19
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Keomateau is the meanest guy on our roster hands down and that means he is meaner than Porter... all your O linemen and D linemen are some of the meanest players on the field..
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote