Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

View Poll Results: Should Big Ben sit out this next game?
Yes, let him rest. 46 85.19%
No, play him. 8 14.81%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2006, 05:17 PM   #1
Texasfan
Draft Prospect
Supporter

Member Number: 2904
Default Should Big Ben sit out this coming game?

I'd hate to rush him back in and chance another concussion. As we know too many concussions leads to early retirement.
Texasfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:41 PM   #2
pittsburgh$teelersfan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1466
Default Re: Should Big Ben sit out this coming game?

Yes me to let batch recieve some time.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:51 PM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

I have the same opinion after his bike accident and after his surgery.

If the doc says it's not smart. If coach says it's not smart. Then don't play him.

If the doc gives him the thumbs up. If the coach gives him the thumbs up. If Ben feels fine. Then play him. The kid is finally getting/is hot.

Eitherway, if this team loses to the Raiders with Batch, we don't deserve the playoffs.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 10-24-2006 at 05:58 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

If he's cleared, he'll play. I agree we don't need him for the Oakland game....... but he may need one game to clear his head again. Denver will out for revenge.....remember that target on our backs?
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:15 PM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,517 Times in 3,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
I have the same opinion after his bike accident and after his surgery.

If the doc says it's not smart. If coach says it's not smart. Then don't play him.

If the doc gives him the thumbs up. If the coach gives him the thumbs up. If Ben feels fine. Then play him. The kid is finally getting/is hot.

Eitherway, if this team loses to the Raiders with Batch, we don't deserve the playoffs.
With regard to getting clearance from the medical staff, I am linking to an article in ESPN The Magazine ("Doctor yes") that claims the NFL's doctor in charge of its studies on the impact of concussions (a rheumatologist, not a neurologist) is cooking the books with his studies regarding the long term impact of concussions. Anyone interested in whether or not Ben should play next week may want to read this article and consider if the NFL is spewing happy talk to minimize the consequences of multiple concussions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...t&lid=tab3pos1

As a pro athlete, Ben is conditioned to "playing hurt." Team doctors are notorious for rushing players back. Cowher rushed Ben back once already this season; Cowher needs to sit Ben regardless of whether Ben and the team doc think it is OK for him to go. In addition, Ben's mentors Jim Kelley and Dan Marino need to have Ben talk with Steve Young and Troy Aikman.

Ben was knocked out Sunday and it was a scary sight; we do not know all the consequences of the accident but getting knocked out again 4 months later can't be anything positive.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:56 PM   #6
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

Yes. I would sit him out this next game. Batch should be able to run the offense well enough to crush Oakland.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:06 PM   #7
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

in my opion i think we f...ed up when we brought ben back for the 2nd game of the season he was not rdy to come back yet and his first good game was against the cheifs... i think since we won the first game against the dolphins with batch we should've of let batch played more and let ben rest from his injuries, it's not like batch sucks, he is a very good qb for us

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:01 PM   #8
DoctorJanSteelerFan
Water Boy

Member Number: 1126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
With regard to getting clearance from the medical staff, I am linking to an article in ESPN The Magazine ("Doctor yes") that claims the NFL's doctor in charge of its studies on the impact of concussions (a rheumatologist, not a neurologist) is cooking the books with his studies regarding the long term impact of concussions. Anyone interested in whether or not Ben should play next week may want to read this article and consider if the NFL is spewing happy talk to minimize the consequences of multiple concussions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...t&lid=tab3pos1

As a pro athlete, Ben is conditioned to "playing hurt." Team doctors are notorious for rushing players back. Cowher rushed Ben back once already this season; Cowher needs to sit Ben regardless of whether Ben and the team doc think it is OK for him to go. In addition, Ben's mentors Jim Kelley and Dan Marino need to have Ben talk with Steve Young and Troy Aikman.
Ben was knocked out Sunday and it was a scary sight; we do not know all the consequences of the accident but getting knocked out again 4 months later can't be anything positive.
Did I say I agree? Thanks for the link, Dan.
It is completely true about some team doctors being unscrupulous, unscientific idiots.

I can't stress it enough: It would be INSANE, medically negligent and potentially life-threatening if they allow Ben to play next week. (And, sorry to say, IMO much longer because this is his 2nd concussion AND he lost consciousness.) He also needs clearance from NON-NFL neurologist(s). Multiple concussions DO have cumulative effects. Prior concussions lower the threshold for subsequent concussion injury and increase symptom severity in even seemingly mild subsequent concussions. Post-concussion symptoms can be quite subtle and may go unnoticed by the athlete, team medical staff, or coaches. (Like Ben's 3-game sluggishness)

Is it worth jeopardizing his entire career for a few games? In other words, let's say Ben played this week against Oakland, was sacked, hit his head on the ground. The chances are much greater now not just that he would have a concussion but that he could sustain permanent brain injury and never play football again. So, let?s hope and pray NFL-affiliated and NON-NFL-affiliated neurologists will think of him as their own son or brother and not a money-making ?Star-QB? machine.

BASIC INFO ON CONCUSSIONS, if anyone is interested:
http://www.neurosurgery.pitt.edu/trauma/concussion.html
http://concussion.upmc.com/Treatment.htm
DoctorJanSteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:26 PM   #9
clarient
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1742

THANK YOU, DOCTOR JAN! I thought all along they brought him back too early, but bit my lip and let him play... if they bring him back too soon this time, I'm afraid that one more hit like that and he won't be getting up under his own power.

*holds candlelight vigil*
Old 10-24-2006, 09:28 PM   #10
Stillers#1
Banned

Member Number: 1082

I say sit him out th rest of the season. Not b/c he is playing bad, but b/c Charlie is playing so good. Let Ben revover fully from his injuries. I don't think we would be throwing away the seasosn by letting Batch take the snaps the rest of the way.
Stillers#1 is offline   Reply With Quote