Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-25-2006, 09:38 AM   #1
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313
Default Ben could practice today

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06298/732710-66.stm
I think this is complete ignorance
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:56 AM   #2
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default Re: Ben could practice today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06298/732710-66.stm
I think this is complete ignorance
I have to agree. Ben has physically had the shit beat out of him in the past 4 months why take the risk sit his ass down for Sunday's game. I found this article on MSNBC and I have to agree with what the guy says....

Steelers shouldn?t risk Big Ben?s future
Mike Celizic
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15409352/

Sit quarterback for awhile, no matter what doctors say

Bill Cowher says it?s up to the doctors, which he and the Steelers organization say is the only thing they can say. But that?s not really true. They could say something else. They could say, ?Big Ben isn?t playing this week, and maybe not next week or the week after. He?s not going to play until he?s totally healthy.?

They won?t say that, because it?s the same as saying, ?Our quarterback?s health is more important than our season ? honest.? And that, in the National Football League, isn?t the way business is conducted.

Maybe it should be, though. Because no matter how Ben Roethlisberger does on the neurological tests that will determine his fitness for a return to combat, if he gets hit hard again so close to his most recent concussion, he could be on his way out of the game. That?s the way it works: If you suffer multiple concussions in a short period of time, the odds of serious long-term problems skyrocket. And every time you get concussed, it gets a little easier for it to happen again with the next hit.

Most of us never have to worry about such things. If we have a freak accident and hit our head, we can go right back to work as soon as the doctors say it?s okay, because we don?t have to worry about it happening again. But football players are always one play away from the next big hit. And do you really want to put a player as valuable as Roethlisberger back in harm?s way so quickly?

Caution dictates that you sit him down for weeks or a month or more, let Charlie Batch, who is a pretty darned good back-up, carry the load, and see if you can get lucky. But football isn?t about caution. And no one willingly risks a season to protect a player who may or may not get hurt again and suffer serious damage to what Woody Allen called his second-favorite organ.

I?d hate to be Cowher right now, just as I?d hate to be one of the doctors who has to decide when Ben Roethlisberger?s twice-concussed brain is ready to stand up against blitzing linebackers and blind-side hits.

On the one hand, there?s the short-term prospect of a season that isn?t yet beyond rescue. On the other, there?s Roethlisberger?s long-term prospects of health and mental acuity. What?s more important, this week?s game, or living without headaches and nausea and scrambled thoughts 15 years from now?

It was a lot easier in the good old days when you cracked an ammonia cap to revive players who had been knocked out and sent them out to get whacked in the head again, joking afterwards about how goofy the old gunslinger was when he got his bell rung.

Now that we say soberly that a player was concussed ? a technical term for a form of brain damage ? rather than laughing about how he was ?dinged,? it?s not as easy to just point him in the right direction and send him back into the fray. Not this week and not next week.

But that?s the decision facing the Steelers. Roethlisberger, who the Steelers hope is their ticket to many years of contending for yet more Super Bowl titles, was knocked out Sunday for the second time in four months. He suffered the first concussion in that motorcycle accident last summer, in which his head, unprotected by a helmet, had a close encounter with an automobile?s windshield, with the windshield winning the decision. Now, four months later, he?s been knocked out again.

Doctors know now that when you suffer multiple concussions in relatively short time frames, your risk of long-term damage starts to increase exponentially. We?ve seen it happen enough to other great athletes to know it?s not a possibility to be taken lightly.

Steve Young and Troy Aikman both cut short their careers because of post-concussion syndrome. Wayne Chrebet, the Jets? receiver, retired not long ago for the same reason, just as another Jet, Wesley Walker, had done a football generation earlier. In the NHL, Eric Lindros? career was nearly ended by multiple concussions. Pat Lafontaine, a brilliant NHL forward, also had to retire early because he couldn?t afford to take another hit in the head.

Neuroscience has progressed at a rapid clip, and now post-concussion syndrome is well established as a very real danger to anyone who participates in contact sports. Part of the progress has been the development of tests to determine whether an athlete is still suffering lingering effects of a concussion.

Story continues below ↓
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
advertisement
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those are the tests that Roethlisberger is undergoing this week. If the doctors say he passes them, Cowher will put his franchise player back on the field come Sunday. And he?ll be able to say with total justification that the decision was based on sound medical science.

The science is sound. But there?s another fact that?s also undeniable: defenders are going to be primed to hit Roethlisberger just as hard as they can in the hopes of putting him on the sidelines again. And he will be hit again. And if his head bounces off the turf again, he could be out for a long, long time.

So, what do you do? You feel you can?t live without him, but if you throw him back out there, you could end up doing just that. You want him to stay safe, but you can?t protect him from the game he plays, not by sending him out to play it.

In an ideal world, you hold him out this week and maybe next week and the week after; you make sure he?s got plenty of distance between his next start and his last concussion. You do that because you don?t want him to leave early like Aikman and Young and Chrebet and Walker and so many others.

In the NFL, the thinking is you send a guy out to play if the doctors say it's OK. That?s what Cowher and the Steelers will probably do with Big Ben.

What would you do if it were your quarterback?

Or, more to the point, what would you do if he were your kid?
Old 10-25-2006, 10:00 AM   #3
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

I think its cowhers thinking of wanting to win right now. I think he's not considering the future of his quarterback. He's more concerned about today rather then tommorow
Old 10-25-2006, 10:09 AM   #4
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Doctors know now that when you suffer multiple concussions in relatively short time frames, your risk of long-term damage starts to increase exponentially. We?ve seen it happen enough to other great athletes to know it?s not a possibility to be taken lightly.
Nothing could be farther from the truth. I'm glad to see that someone finally gets it.

You just don't play around with injuries to the head and in this case, two injuries to the head/brain in a relatively short period of time. That is insane.

Quote:
What would you do if it were your quarterback?

Or, more to the point, what would you do if he were your kid?
I'd sit his ass down for not just one week, but several. The after-effects of a concussion sometimes don't present themselves for weeks - even months - after the injury(ies). We have a very viable option here in playing Batch so why throw caution to the wind, especially when it involves your franchise QB?

This past spring/summer, my 6 year old grandson had 2 concussions within 3 months of each other - one was from losing control of his scooter going down a hill and going head and face first into a wall and the other was a hard fall on his head at his Tang Soo Do dojong. His pediatrician stressed to us how important it was to hold him out of contact sports for at least 6 months and that is exactly what we did. He was less than thrilled that he couldn't play soccer or sign up for football, but his present and future health was far more important to us than his achievements in sports activities.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:15 AM   #5
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
I think its cowhers thinking of wanting to win right now. I think he's not considering the future of his quarterback. He's more concerned about today rather then tommorow
Sorry, D - I don't believe for a second that Cowher feels that way. He is a genuinely honorable man and a player's coach who truly cares about the welfare of all of his players - that is one of the reasons why so many guys want to play on a Cowher-led team. I think this is more along the lines of Ben not wanting to suck it up and swallow his pride for a few weeks, trying to convince Cowher that he is just fine, in combination with NFL-affiliated MD's walking that thin line by not wanting to piss off the athlete, but being relatively comfortable that there is nothing of immediate concern to protect their own arses. The MDs who are affiliated with the NFL aren't consulted for their long-term prognosis - more of a quick fix type of thing.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:17 AM   #6
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Sorry, D - I don't believe for a second that Cowher feels that way. He is a genuinely honorable man and a player's coach who truly cares about the welfare of all of his players - that is one of the reasons why so many guys want to play on a Cowher-led team. I think this is more along the lines of Ben not wanting to suck it up and swallow his pride for a few weeks, trying to convince Cowher that he is just fine, in combination with NFL-affiliated MD's walking that thin line by not wanting to piss off the athlete, but being relatively comfortable that there is nothing of immediate concern to protect their own arses. The MDs who are affiliated with the NFL aren't consulted for their long-term prognosis - more of a quick fix type of thing.
then why does cowher continue to rush bens comeback. He could have easily sat out the first 3 games to recoop. There isnt a reason in the world ben should start this sunday
Old 10-25-2006, 10:55 AM   #7
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

At first, and to some extent I still do feel, that Ben should play this weekend. He's getting into a leadership role and he's getting his groove back! However, the more I think about it, is one season worth this kid's future? I have to say no it's not and that if sitting him costs us this season, then so be it but not at the stake of only having him at QB for only a few years.
However, I do believe that Batch is a more than capable QB to lead us through the next 2-3 games and not just lead us but bring us to victory! He's proven that.
Regardless of who starts, the rally begins in the ally in Oakland!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:28 AM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,084 Times in 2,801 Posts

Quote:

That is why Cowher needs to step in as a player's coach. Team doctors are not going to get in the way of a player wanting to play or the teams wanting the player to get back on the field (he had issues, but does anyone else remember Barry Foster going to his own doc, who backed him up, when Foster thought the Steelers were forcing him back from an injury?) So forget the doctor sitting Ben down.

As for Ben, he obviously has no inner circle of confidants who can restrain him from engaging in self-destructive behavior, with Exhibit A being the helmetless motorcycle riding. So nobody else can tell Ben what to do and Ben is going to fight to play, for reasons that may include not only the "play hurt" NFL mentality but Cowher having questioned the extent of some of Ben's claimed injuries in the past.

So that leaves it to Cowher, who already has behaved erratically this season by allowing his coaching status to fester, not having the team ready to go in preseason (I know the games do not count but 0-4 was a bad leading indicator), failing to instill team discipline (the taunting penalty on Sunday led by team leader Hines Ward showed this team is tuning him out) , and failing to have faith in Batch by rushing Ben back for Jax.

I suppose you should never risk a player's health for one game, but this is not rushing Rod Woodson or T.O. back from leg injuries for the Super Bowl; it is a game against the dregs of the league during a season that is pretty much shot anyhow. Why you would potentially risk your franchise QB's career is beyond me and does not reflect well on Cowher's concern for his players, even if they will only be his players for a little over 2 more months.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:39 AM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Hey...

You are right. Cowher is not a put his people in jepordy like that. It may be Ben's immortality stepping in again.

It may also be the point that he really didn't have a concussion. Who knows.

I just hope that he FULLY HEALS before he plays.. and doesn't act stupid. After all, we don't need another Mike Webster on our hearts and minds 15 years from now.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:52 AM   #10
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,656 Times in 1,752 Posts

I'd at least sit him for the jokeland game, whether he could go or not. Batch should be able to handle the duties for this game.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote