Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-25-2006, 12:04 PM   #11
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648
Default Re: Ben could practice today

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrabt View Post
I'd at least sit him for the jokeland game, whether he could go or not. Batch should be able to handle the duties for this game.

AMEN!!
Old 10-25-2006, 12:29 PM   #12
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
then why does cowher continue to rush bens comeback. He could have easily sat out the first 3 games to recoop. There isnt a reason in the world ben should start this sunday
Could you please provide me with a link to any story out there in which Bill Cowher gives any indication, or states directly, that he wants to "rush", expedite, hurry up, etc. Ben's comeback, either before the start of the season, after his appendectomy or this week after the hit on him in the Atlanta game. I'd appreciate it - thanks!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:58 PM   #13
HometownGal
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
That is why Cowher needs to step in as a player's coach. Team doctors are not going to get in the way of a player wanting to play or the teams wanting the player to get back on the field (he had issues, but does anyone else remember Barry Foster going to his own doc, who backed him up, when Foster thought the Steelers were forcing him back from an injury?) So forget the doctor sitting Ben down.

As for Ben, he obviously has no inner circle of confidants who can restrain him from engaging in self-destructive behavior, with Exhibit A being the helmetless motorcycle riding. So nobody else can tell Ben what to do and Ben is going to fight to play, for reasons that may include not only the "play hurt" NFL mentality but Cowher having questioned the extent of some of Ben's claimed injuries in the past.

So that leaves it to Cowher, who already has behaved erratically this season by allowing his coaching status to fester, not having the team ready to go in preseason (I know the games do not count but 0-4 was a bad leading indicator), failing to instill team discipline (the taunting penalty on Sunday led by team leader Hines Ward showed this team is tuning him out) , and failing to have faith in Batch by rushing Ben back for Jax.

I suppose you should never risk a player's health for one game, but this is not rushing Rod Woodson or T.O. back from leg injuries for the Super Bowl; it is a game against the dregs of the league during a season that is pretty much shot anyhow. Why you would potentially risk your franchise QB's career is beyond me and does not reflect well on Cowher's concern for his players, even if they will only be his players for a little over 2 more months.
Dan - while I appreciate the time and thought you took to post the above, I cannot make a legitimate response to your post at this point in time. "May haves" just don't cut it with me. We don't know that Bill Cowher played any part in "rushing" Ben back and until I see concrete evidence of the same, I can't realsitically address anything on this subject that relates to Cowher. Let me say for the record, though, that on your points concerning Ben, I agree with the majority of them, again - with the exception of your opinion regarding Cowher "questioning Ben's injuries". That is your opinion and while I respect it, I simply do not agree with it as I've never heard anything coming out of Bill Cowher's mouth to substantiate your beliefs. Also for the record, I disagree that Bill Cowher has behaved "erratically" this season - just my opinion.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 10-25-2006, 01:14 PM   #14
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,084 Times in 2,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Dan - while I appreciate the time and thought you took to post the above, I cannot make a legitimate response to your post at this point in time. "May haves" just don't cut it with me. We don't know that Bill Cowher played any part in "rushing" Ben back and until I see concrete evidence of the same, I can't realsitically address anything on this subject that relates to Cowher. Let me say for the record, though, that on your points concerning Ben, I agree with the majority of them, again - with the exception of your opinion regarding Cowher "questioning Ben's injuries". That is your opinion and while I respect it, I simply do not agree with it as I've never heard anything coming out of Bill Cowher's mouth to substantiate your beliefs. Also for the record, I disagree that Bill Cowher has behaved "erratically" this season - just my opinion.
Hometown Gal - thanks for the thoughtful reponse.

I specifically am referring to Cowher and Ben having public differences of opinions on: "broken toes" after the AFC championship loss; the extent of Ben's knee injury that sideline him last November, and whether or not Ben's thumb was broken in December or January last season. I could dredge up the articles but Ben and Cowher were explicitly in disagrement on the extent of those injuries and it was not Cowher who was claiming the injuries were greater than Ben was claiming.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:31 PM   #15
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

If Ben is cleared to play he plays. I think if Ben had a major concussion then I don't think there would be no chance in hell of Ben playing this Sunday or next Sunday for that matter. But from all that has been reported. It sounds that Ben had a slight concussion. Yes its not an injury to take lightly. But I trust the doctors and the Steelers organization are acting in Ben's best interest.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:49 PM   #16
steela fan 4eva
Water Boy

Member Number: 3461

I heard that right after Ben's motorcycle accident he was fitted for a special helmet like the one Troy has. He didn't like the way it fit. Wonder if he regrets that now?!!!
steela fan 4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:08 PM   #17
HometownGal
Living Legend

Quote:
Hometown Gal - thanks for the thoughtful reponse.

I specifically am referring to Cowher and Ben having public differences of opinions on: "broken toes" after the AFC championship loss; the extent of Ben's knee injury that sideline him last November, and whether or not Ben's thumb was broken in December or January last season. I could dredge up the articles but Ben and Cowher were explicitly in disagrement on the extent of those injuries and it was not Cowher who was claiming the injuries were greater than Ben was claiming.
Thanks, Dan - and a hearty thank YOU for being so respectful in return.

I do remember the differences in opinion between Ben and Cowher on the broken toes, knee and thumb injuries, but I also clearly remember many people, including the sports media and fans, as well, questioning the extent and validity of those injuries, so at this point - who knows what is fact and what is fiction? I really wasn't referring to those incidents - I am referring more to yours and Big D's inferences that it is Cowher who was and is "rushing Ben back" after his serious accident in June and most recently, his second concussion suffered on Sunday afternoon. Witnessing Bill Cowher's closeness with his players, as well as his concern for them not only as athletes, but as human beings over the last 15 years, tells me in my gut that there is no way this man would rush anyone back from any injury until they themselves felt they were ready or led him to believe they were ready to jump back in. In addition, If Cowher hadn't played the game himself at one time, it is possible I might be swayed here, but again - I just don't see Cowher rushing anyone back from an injury - especially not the franchise QB - to win a football game. That would skate along the lines of immoral, unprofessional and unethical, three things that Bill Cowher definitely is not, imho.

Being a cancer survivor several times (I'm like a cat with nine lives - LOL!) I know the frustration Ben surely feels in being "down", taking one step forward and two steps back. I couldn't wait to resume my career - other than my family - it was my life and made me feel whole. I had this huge goal of furthering my career by attending law school - and I had the mindset that nothing was going to stop me - nothing. I didn't listen to my doctor's advice and he became so exhausted from my pleas to return to work, that he finally signed my work release "against medical advice", which I lived to regret. I wasn't ready physically or mentally and within a month, I had regressed to where I couldn't return to my career and had to apply for SSD, something that horrified me as I had worked all of my life up until that point and the idea of any type of "handout" sickened me. My employers specifically told me to take as much time as I needed, but I didn't listen to them or anyone else. I was hard-headed and my pride wouldn't allow me to give myself the time (I found out the hard way that I should have taken) to get myself totally in balance again. The biggest reason why I so adamantly state that I feel Ben is the one who is pushing to return to his career before he is ready, and not Bill Cowher, is because I've been there and done that. We had similar surgeries, though for different reasons, but we had the same obstinance. I pray every night for Ben that he comes to his senses, doesn't make the same mistakes that I did and gives himself time to completely heal from everything this guy has been through in a 4 month period of time.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 10-25-2006, 02:48 PM   #18
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,084 Times in 2,377 Posts

I agree Ben is pushing the most - that is why I think Cowher is the only one in a position to slow this down
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:58 PM   #19
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

I think they're trying to rush him back, I wouldn't risk it especially if they get back in the hunt for the playoffs he can be healthy and ready to roll.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 03:27 PM   #20
DoctorJanSteelerFan
Water Boy

Member Number: 1126

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Want-Troy's-Hair View Post
I found this article on MSNBC and I have to agree with what the guy says....

Steelers shouldn?t risk Big Ben?s future, Mike Celizic
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15409352/
Sit quarterback for awhile, no matter what doctors say....let Charlie Batch, who is a pretty darned good back-up, carry the load.....Doctors know now that when you suffer multiple concussions in relatively short time frames, your risk of long-term damage starts to increase exponentially. We?ve seen it happen enough to other great athletes to know it?s not a possibility to be taken lightly.
Great article, I-Want-Troy's-Hair. I've made too many posts already on this subject and feel like I'm >>
Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
You just don't play around with injuries to the head and in this case, two injuries to the head/brain in a relatively short period of time. That is insane.

I'd sit his ass down for not just one week, but several. The after-effects of a concussion sometimes don't present themselves for weeks - even months - after the injury(ies). We have a very viable option here in playing Batch so why throw caution to the wind, especially when it involves your franchise QB?
Insane, YES.
Quote:
That is why Cowher needs to step in as a player's coach. Team doctors are not going to get in the way of a player wanting to play or the teams wanting the player to get back on the field So forget the doctor sitting Ben down.

As for Ben, he obviously has no inner circle of confidants who can restrain him from engaging in self-destructive behavior, with Exhibit A being the helmetless motorcycle riding.....So that leaves it to Cowher.....
I agree if the doctors have ANY backbone then they will say Ben MUST sit this week... (and longer... but let's take a game at a time.) I'm HOPING all this talk of Ben playing is a smokescreen to keep the opponents guessing. If not, then Cowher, even Rooney himself??, must step in and say no way.
If they don't then I believe the Steeler Nation needs to rise up and say:

SAVE BEN. PLAY BATCH.
DoctorJanSteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote