Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-26-2006, 07:25 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Roethlisberger likely to go full tilt

Roethlisberger likely to go full tilt in full practice today

Thursday, October 26, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger took another mental test yesterday afternoon that should determine whether he returns to play quarterback for the Steelers Sunday in Oakland.

If all went well, as expected, Roethlisberger should go through a full practice today. Then, it will be up to coach Bill Cowher to decide if Roethlisberger will start against the Raiders.

"I feel good,'' Roethlisberger said before taking the indoor field with his teammates. "Just trying to get ready to get out there and help the team any way I can."

Roethlisberger suited up in pads and threw passes in the early part of drills, but he did none of the team work with the offense. That was planned, Cowher said, because he had one more test to pass before he could go through a full practice.

After practice, Dr. Joseph Maroon gave the quarterback another Immediate Post-Concussion Assessment and Cognitive Test (ImPACT) that he and Dr. Mark Lovell developed with a team of researchers at the University of Pittsburgh. The 20-minute test measures brain process, memory, speed and motor skills.

Cowher listed Roethlisberger as questionable after a concussion knocked him out of the game Sunday in Atlanta in the third quarter. Tests conducted on Roethlisberger's head and neck showed no physical damage.

In almost all cases, patients show improved results on the ImPACT test as time goes on. If that's the case with Roethlisberger, he will practice today.

"This is not my decision, it's the doctor's decision," Cowher said. "Once the doctors have cleared him and he is comfortable with that, then it comes down to working with him and seeing where he's at mentally and understanding he's OK physically."

Raiders coach Art Shell said he expects Roethlisberger to start in Oakland Sunday.

Cowher said Roethlisberger had a "mental" practice yesterday during the team drills and that he passed that one, too.

"He seemed very good out there today, going over the script," Cowher said. "He seems very positive, so we'll go from there.

"Tomorrow's practice will say a lot more than where we are today. I truly think, obviously, by the end of the week, on Friday, as we get through the week of practice we'll have a better sense of where he's at from the standpoint of his availability."

Roethlisberger was upbeat during a session with the media yesterday. He said he wanted to return to the game after his concussion in the third quarter, and he called the hit on him by Falcons defensive end Chauncey Davis clean. Roethlisberger left the field on a cart, but returned for the entire fourth quarter to stand on the sideline with his teammates.

"They didn't want me to go back out there. I tried to go back in the game but they didn't let that happen, obviously. Then, they tried to get me to leave and I said 'No, I've got to get back out there.'

"The main thing was just getting back out there on the sidelines so that the guys could see that I was out there and supporting them."

Davis' hit appeared to be helmet on helmet, which violates NFL rules and usually draws a fine.

"I don't think it was anything," Roethlisberger said. "I was trying to duck under it and I kind of got hit from every different angle."

He did say one of the Falcons uttered something derogatory at that point, though.

"The last thing I remember is throwing the ball to Hines [Ward] and seeing him, and I tried to duck out of it. As I ducked, I remember getting hit in the chin and feeling like I busted my whole jaw or something. One of their players said something to me, and that was the last thing I kind of remember."

Roethlisberger said he had headaches after the hit, but they've subsided, then joked that his head is in good shape after his June 12 motorcycle accident.

"I got my head prepared for concussions about three or four months ago. I guess I'm prepared to bounce back when I get hit hard ... wasn't worried about the front of [the jaw] because I've got all the plates. I've got a tough jaw, I can take a good shot. I was worried about the back, it was a little sore. But I think it's OK."

He declined to say whether he ever lost consciousness on the field after the hit.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:41 AM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Roethlisberger likely to go full tilt

While I continue to believe that Ben is taking an enormous risk here if he is cleared by his doctors to play on Sunday, Ben's gonna do what Ben wants to do. Though I think he is certifiably insane in not giving his head a realistic chance to heal properly, you gotta love his drive, determination and loyalty to his team.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:58 AM   #3
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I think he's still got that "I'm invincible" feeling and someone needs to sit him down and let him know that he's no longer invincible. No matter how bad he wants to play, someone has to talk to him about his future as a football or a vegetable (if he continues to put himself at unnecessary risk)!
I love the kid and his drive but he's got to recognize stupidity when it's at his doorstep!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:04 AM   #4
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

I'm preparing myself for alot of breath holding on Sunday.

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:48 AM   #5
Cry Me a River
Banned

Member Number: 3521

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Ben's gonna do what Ben wants to do.
What Ben's gonna do is leave his scrambled eggs all over the Oakland Coliseum grass.
Cry Me a River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:50 AM   #6
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cry Me a River View Post
What Ben's gonna do is leave his scrambled eggs all over the Oakland Coliseum grass.
ok troll. Would you still be in here if the falcons would have lost.
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:52 AM   #7
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cry Me a River View Post
Ok mods. Here we go. Another classless troll. This one's a flamer.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:54 AM   #8
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Old 10-26-2006, 08:54 AM   #9
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
ok troll. Would you still be in here if the falcons would have lost.
With all due respect Big D...just an opinion....if you ask a classless troll a question, it feeds him.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:58 AM   #10
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodcitygirl View Post
I'm preparing myself for alot of breath holding on Sunday.
You and me both, girl!