Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-26-2006, 03:59 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,099 Times in 2,383 Posts
Default Is It 2002 Or 2003?

There is a saying that "one" is an interesting example, "two" is a coincidence, but "three" is a trend.

After three terrible performances by the running game on the road and an ongoing inability to get the defense off the field on third down, a plausible case can be made that the Steelers have devolved from their power game of 2004-2005 to the pass happy offense & defense that could never stop anyone on third down (complete with having the QB knocked out of the game with potentially career altering implications) that characterized the 2002-2003 Steelers.

The 2002 team worked within its shortcomings and made the playoffs while the 2003 team arguably was Cowher's most disappointing.

I confess to be being clueless as to which outcome is more likely this season. Other views welcome as always.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:02 PM   #2
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 3,234 Times in 1,277 Posts
Default Re: Is It 2002 Or 2003?

We may find out after this weekend.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:10 PM   #3
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

We might, it's just a matter of time.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:54 PM   #4
hellbread
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3282

i dunno to compare this years team to the 2002-2003 team is really irrelevant...with different players coming in, injuries, tougher schedule...and tommy maddox not under center. this team is a hell of a lot better than those teams. we just made some mistakes with turnovers and a mistake i believe cowher will emphasize on this week going into oakland. but yes i do see the comparison on the 3rd down thing...but at mid season last year we had the same prob but we all know how that ended up.
hellbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:33 AM   #5
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I see the comparisons and it's scary, very scary (how appropriate for this time of year)!

Our defense, as is the case this year, was great on 1st and 2nd down but on 3rd down they would give up just enough yardage for a first down. It seemed they couldn't get off the field and help themselves out.

Our offense, decided that passing was a great option than the run and for whatever reason, the ball wasn't getting moved. This year may be a little different (at least the last two games) in that the WR's are catching the ball and we're scoring. But we are starting to abandon the run. Parker is not a pounder. Although he's been good at times, we need a RB to compliment Parker, one that can hurt defenses in the 2nd and 3rd quarter so that in the 4th quarter they are too tired and too hurt to catch Willie on the outside!

Our Special Teams - pathethic! In both years. Someone needs to put a fire under the Special Teamers.

But even with all that I still know that our Steelers are not the 2-4 team that the records show. They are 4-2 or 5-1. They've put themselves in a corner and I believe that they will come out fighting and will turn this season into another run, this one ending in Miami with a threepeat of the repeat!!

Who's with me?!
HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 08:03 AM   #6
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

if we lose to the raiders, we might as well retire as fans and as players....
Old 10-27-2006, 08:07 AM   #7
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ward86 View Post
couldnt agree more. I'll walk with my head down and covered by my terrible towel.
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 08:36 AM   #8
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I'll never lower my head, regardless of the outcome of a game or the season!

Doing that would lower me to the ranks of a clowns, bungles, and/or scubs fan!!

I could never bring myself to any of that!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 08:39 AM   #9
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ward86 View Post
I wouldn't go that far, 19. I never have and never will take ANY team for granted and I hope the Steelers don't either. The Raiders have pretty much sucked this season, but this week, they're not just playing any old team - they're playing the Super Bowl Champs. Every team who plays us this season has or is going to step it up a notch for that reason alone. We've had a bullseye on our backs since the season started, just like every other previous SB champion. Do I think the Raiders will win? HELL NO! The Steelers need to sit on a pit of hot coals and get that fire back under their arses.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:14 AM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post

The 2002 team worked within its shortcomings and made the playoffs while the 2003 team arguably was Cowher's most disappointing.

I confess to be being clueless as to which outcome is more likely this season. Other views welcome as always.
this team is much more like the 2002 team. it was in 2002 that the steelers had almost the exact same type of game against the falcons that ended in a tie. it was the year before that on the way to try and secure their best record of 14-2 they gave up a huge lead to the bungles to finish 13-3 (still best in the afc).

ironically these 2 games were the 2 blemmishes on cowhers record going into this year of 100-1-1 with more than a 10 point lead. i think that record has the players and coaches snakebitten in the past 4 games.

we have jumed out to such big leads early against the bengals, chargers, kc, and the falcons, i think the team has just figured they had the game in the bag, based on past record and results.

this team and the talent is far superior to that of 2002 and definitely 2003 (its probably rivals the talent of 95). the loss of jerome hurts BUT holmes and colclough still probably fumble with him on the team. willie and verron probably still get some carries and fumble. and ben still probably throws int's. jerome never prevented kordell from throwing the ball away. this team is built to win without jerome.

the offense and the st just needs to give our attacking defense a little time to rest and quit giving them a short field to defend.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote