Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 10-27-2006, 01:39 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default NFL Fines 3 Steelers

Steelers Notebook: NFL fines 3 for celebration
Friday, October 27, 2006

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The three receivers who took part in a touchdown celebration in Atlanta that resulted in an unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty -- Hines Ward, Nate Washington and Santonio Holmes -- each have been fined $5,000. But it wasn't by the Steelers.

The players were notified yesterday they have been fined by the NFL for excessively celebrating Washington's 10-yard touchdown catch against the Atlanta Falcons in the second quarter, a celebration that resulted in a 15-yard penalty on the ensuing kickoff and nearly led to an Atlanta touchdown.

"It doesn't sit well with me," said Washington, who said he will consider an appeal. "But I got to deal with it."

Washington is actually an innocent victim. As he was celebrating his third touchdown catch of the season, Ward came up behind him and also started to dance. They were joined by Holmes, the rookie No. 1 pick. Each player said the celebration was spontaneous.

The fine hurts Washington a little more because he will earn the second-year minimum of $385,000 this season, a lot less than Ward and Holmes.

"I need to talk to one of the coaches and see what I can do," Washington said.

It was the second time in less than a month the Steelers have had players fined by the league for an excessive touchdown celebrations. Willie Parker and Verron Haynes said they were each fined $5,000 for celebrating Parker's second touchdown in a Sept. 24 game against the Cincinnati Bengals.

"That will get your attention real fast," Parker said.

That penalty, along with Mike Logan's 15-yard taunting penalty against the Bengals, angered coach Bill Cowher and prompted him to promise such penalties would not happen again.

Porter set to return

Outside linebacker Joey Porter, who has missed the past two games with a hamstring injury, was upgraded from questionable to probable on the injury report and should start Sunday against the Oakland Raiders, Cowher said.

Porter, who never had a hamstring injury before this season, has practiced the past two days.

"He's looked very well," Cowher said. "Barring any setbacks, he should be fine."

Townsend likely to start

After starting the past two games at right cornerback, Bryant McFadden likely will return to his role as the team's nickel back against the Raiders.

McFadden started against Kansas City and Atlanta because Deshea Townsend, the starter, was nursing a hamstring injury. Townsend played on a limited basis, assuming McFadden's role as the nickel back against the Chiefs and Falcons.

"I'm back," Townsend said. "I was just resting my hamstring."

Cowher indicated earlier in the week the starting position might be up for grabs. He reiterated that stance yesterday, saying he hasn't determined which player will start in Oakland.

"Personally, I kinda thought [Townsend] was still banged up," McFadden said, explaining why he started. 'I didn't ask any questions. They just told me go with the flow, so I did. It's not up to me."

Hampton not happy

Several days after it happened, nose tackle Casey Hampton is still upset about the cut-blocking techniques employed by the Atlanta Falcons. But it was one play in particular that angered Hampton.

In the second quarter, while chasing down a pass, Hampton said Falcons guard Tyson Clabo jumped on the back of his legs from behind. Hampton got to his feet and began cursing Clabo.

"I don't mind you chop-blocking me at the line of scrimmage or in the box, but, when you run after me down the field and jump on top of my legs, you're just trying to hurt me," Hampton said. "That's personal. That's how I see it."

Hampton said he protested to an official when no penalty was called.

"I cursed the official out and [Clabo] out. How do you not see that? You're just giving in and saying you can't block someone, so I'm gonna dive at your legs."

Hampton's hamstring was injured against the Falcons, but not on that play. It happened later in the game, and he missed most of the second half. Hampton is listed as questionable on the injury report and did not practice for the second day in a row.

Hampton said he expects to play against the Raiders, but Cowher said, "I think that's his optimism and desire to get back in there. We have not upgraded him [on the injury report] and he has not practiced."

Quick hits

Outside linebacker Clark Haggans (ankle/questionable) did not practice for the second day in a row. Wide receiver Cedrick Wilson (groin/questionable) returned to practice. ... Gene Upshaw, executive director of the NFL Players Association, was at the team offices yesterday for a union meeting with the players.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06300/733403-66.stm
Old 10-27-2006, 01:40 AM   #2
FleshBomb
Water Boy

Member Number: 3530
Default Re: NFL Fines 3 Steelers

Man, that sucks. Lose the game and some change.

And I guess since no falcons were fined the NFL agrees that the KO hit on Ben was legit. Good call NFL. Nice clean jaw busting hit.
FleshBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:57 AM   #3
hellbread
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3282

well if thats the case then they need to fine every celebration call... which isnt the case and therefore i again say consistency is a problem.
hellbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:59 AM   #4
FleshBomb
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbread View Post
well if thats the case then they need to fine every celebration call... which isnt the case and therefore i again say consistency is a problem.
This celebration crap is just stupid. I had no problem with them dancing after that TD.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:00 AM   #5
Steelersfan4life0655
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2163

man, after read all this stuff , i didnt realize that atlanta was that cheap and dirty.
Steelersfan4life0655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:05 AM   #6
FleshBomb
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelersfan4life0655 View Post
man, after read all this stuff , i didnt realize that atlanta was that cheap and dirty.
41-38. Scoreboard!
Old 10-27-2006, 02:08 AM   #7
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,468 Times in 2,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleshBomb View Post
41-38. Scoreboard!
5 - 0 Superbowls Troll

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:13 AM   #8
hellbread
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3282

the score is for a different thread. but i think the celebration foul is to keep shit from gettin like it did on the movie 'basketball' with the river dancing and shit. i for one am for it. they can get to the sidelines and group celebrate. i do NOT want to see a cincy group chicken dance ANYTIME SOON. just my opinion.
hellbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:41 AM   #9
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleshBomb View Post
41-38. Scoreboard!
5-0

The only stat that counts.

Goodbye redneck.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:02 AM   #10
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Amazing that this troll has lasted this long. Brings zero to the table. Basically hijacks every thread and spews his B.S. Nice.