Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-27-2006, 07:14 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Cowher will wait to name starter

Cowher will wait to name starter
Friday, October 27, 2006

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger went through a full practice yesterday -- his first since taking a hit to the head and sustaining a concussion in Atlanta -- but coach Bill Cowher declined to say if his quarterback will play against the Oakland Raiders.

Even though Cowher said he is "very encouraged" about Roethlisberger's progress, he said he likely will wait until Sunday morning before determining if he will play against the Raiders.

"He feels better than he did [Wednesday]," Cowher said. "We'll see how he feels after traveling across the country."

Still, if Roethlisberger practices today, that means the team intends to start him against the Raiders. But the Steelers want to continue to monitor his progress for signs of any post-concussion symptoms such as nausea, headaches, dizziness or blurred vision.

Asked if Roethlisberger has passed all the tests necessary to receive medical clearance, Cowher said, "Yes, to this point."

Cowher said earlier this week that he wants to make sure Roethlisberger doesn't have any "apprehension" about being hit after a second head injury in the past four months.

In his past two games, Roethlisberger has completed 32 of 41 passes for 476 yards, five touchdowns and no interceptions. His passer rating in those games is 154.62.

"It will be on-going," Cowher said. "We'll continue to monitor his progress."
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 08:10 AM   #2
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717
Default Re: Cowher will wait to name starter

i like to hear the stat on ben, it is encouraging.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:12 AM   #3
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

whats not encouraging is that one more concussion could take him out for the season or his career
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:31 AM   #4
Tankus_Maximus
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 519

I agree with Big D...one more shot in Iron Man's grill and that could be lights out on his career.

"I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me." -Rorschach
Tankus_Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:18 AM   #5
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

I believe that we would better off leaving Ben on the bench this week against the Raiders and give him that extra time that his body is obviously needing. If we cant beat the Raiders without Ben then it is pretty sad especially the way Batch has been performing lately...
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 12:02 PM   #6
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

I tell you where my money is at on this subject - strongly in the 'Ben is going to start' camp.

I dont mind putting that out there - I could be wrong but I feel pretty strongly on the subject.

Here's why ;

Cowher has consistently let Ben make decisions on what he wants to do, not what is necessarily right for the team - this relates to decisions on whether he should be on the field and also what information is released to the media.

In the short time Ben has been the Steelers QB there have been quite a few discrepancies between 'Bens story', 'Cowhers Story' and what 'actually happened' - broken toes, off the field injuries, etc etc.

I think Bill is being too soft with the guy - sure he is an excellent talent (the way he took apart the Falcons D was spectacular) but he has maturity issues and these normally lead to him being the centre of attention.

Anyway, its clear that Ben wears the 'trousers' in this particular relationship from what I can tell - I fully expect him to have talked Bill C. into starting him sunday.

Oh, and plenty of other Steelers posters have expressed concern about Bens desire for attention and maturity issues - so I really dont need to be called a troll for speaking my own mind.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:04 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,677 Times in 2,624 Posts

LITP - I certainly do not think you are a troll and value your insights but would like to address the issue of character in a player or coach.

With an AFC championship game and Super Bowl ring in his first two years, whether Ben is undisciplined and immature frankly may be an unfortunate character flaw but has not really been a big issue until this past June as far as Ben's on-field performance is concerned.

To cite the flaws of another esteemed NFL figure, Bill Belicheck is pretty clearly an arrogant a**hole but that arrogance has not cost the Pats, so far, although Belichek's apparent belief he is such a great coach that he can win with anyone and proceed to let Branch and Vinateri go while the Pats have $10 million in cap space this year may bite the Pats in January.

My poiint is that if you win Super Bowls few if any fans care about the character traits of the coach or player. That includes me and I bet it includes you.

That having been said, while Belichek answers only to God (or maybe God answers to Belichek), if Cowher was staying after this year I think he would take a firmer stance and assert more authority over Ben, since Ben has been making enough arrogant and self-destructive decisions on and off the field that it is impacting his performance. But since I think Cowher is leaving and this season has become more of a victory lap than a defense of a championship, Cowher's view may be I told you to quit riding bikes without a helmet and look where that got you, so if you want to end your career early it is your life and will not be impacting mine after December 31, 2006.

Cowher generally appears to be cutting everyone more slack, with a loose team crossing the line into an undisciplined one. Assuming Ben does not have more injuries this season and remains a potential franchsie QB, whoever coaches this team next year is going to be dealing with the need to set tougher ground rules with both Ben and other team members.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:21 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,076 Times in 2,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post

I think Bill is being too soft with the guy - sure he is an excellent talent (the way he took apart the Falcons D was spectacular) but he has maturity issues and these normally lead to him being the centre of attention.

Anyway, its clear that Ben wears the 'trousers' in this particular relationship from what I can tell - I fully expect him to have talked Bill C. into starting him sunday.

Oh, and plenty of other Steelers posters have expressed concern about Bens desire for attention and maturity issues - so I really dont need to be called a troll for speaking my own mind.

NM
can you please expand on some of these "maturity issues"? compared to most of those 24 and younger, hes quite mature and it is unfair to lump him in the same category as marcus vick, chris henry, and pac man jones.

by ben wearing the trousers are you implying that he gets preferential treatment, and is the one calling the shots as to whether an injured j. porter or d. townsend play? cowher knows he has one of the best medical staffs in the nfl. he does not micro manage them. it is the player who knows their body the best and once they are medidically cleared to play then bill lets them play. this goes for ALL players, not just ben.

oh, and dont sweat being called a troll. even i have been called a troll on my own forum. for speaking my own mind no less.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:21 PM   #9
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
LITP - I certainly do not think you are a troll and value your insights but would like to address the issue of character in a player or coach.

With an AFC championship game and Super Bowl ring in his first two years, whether Ben is undisciplined and immature frankly may be an unfortunate character flaw but has not really been a big issue until this past June as far as Ben's on-field performance is concerned.

To cite the flaws of another esteemed NFL figure, Bill Belicheck is pretty clearly an arrogant a**hole but that arrogance has not cost the Pats, so far, although Belichek's apparent belief he is such a great coach that he can win with anyone and proceed to let Branch and Vinateri go while the Pats have $10 million in cap space this year may bite the Pats in January.

My poiint is that if you win Super Bowls few if any fans care about the character traits of the coach or player. That includes me and I bet it includes you.

That having been said, while Belichek answers only to God (or maybe God answers to Belichek), if Cowher was staying after this year I think he would take a firmer stance and assert more authority over Ben, since Ben has been making enough arrogant and self-destructive decisions on and off the field that it is impacting his performance. But since I think Cowher is leaving and this season has become more of a victory lap than a defense of a championship, Cowher's view may be I told you to quit riding bikes without a helmet and look where that got you, so if you want to end your career early it is your life and will not be impacting mine after December 31, 2006.

Cowher generally appears to be cutting everyone more slack, with a loose team crossing the line into an undisciplined one. Assuming Ben does not have more injuries this season and remains a potential franchsie QB, whoever coaches this team next year is going to be dealing with the need to set tougher ground rules with both Ben and other team members.
Hey dan,

Thanks and nice post.

I certainly agree that Bens flaws haven't cost the Steelers in any huge way during his first few years on the team, his success level is basically unprecedented.

However, every year that passes more people look to Ben to show his leadership qualities without a Bettis figure to take that role - as a QB leadership through words and actions is a must.

BB does certainly come off as an arrogant, unsociable individual - I give you that one - but I am convinced that this very rarely works to the detriment of the team.

I would suggest that Ben's need to be in the limelight has only negative connotations.

I understand and agree with the assessment of Cowhers position, although I would also add that if Ben is allowed to take the dominant position it will be a very tough job for the next guy in command to wrestle back the initiative.

Oh, and I think Ben is already a franchise QB - if he can iron out those maturity issues he could be even better than he already is - which is scary.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:27 PM   #10
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Why are you messing with troll Tony?

The best thing to do with him is add him to your ignore list because he brings nothing new to the table. Just the same old man crush on Brady and mindless anti-Steelers rhetoric.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote