Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-27-2006, 06:12 PM   #1
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751
Default Question for LITP

Nigel,

What got you interested in American football? And are you something of an anomaly in England, or is there enough interest in the game that people will get together to watch it broadcast?

Thanks,

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:07 PM   #2
BBC
Team Captain

Member Number: 2109
Default Re: Question for LITP

And, on average, how many cups of tea do you drink a day?

Last edited by BBC; 10-27-2006 at 07:15 PM.
BBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:55 AM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

There was me expecting my Director of Communications to handle this enquiry - I open the thread and find he has made a tea drinking joke at my expense - his employer!

BBC you better come up with some mighty fine uses for that paper clip to turn this back round!

Ok Tom back to your question,

Its hard to say what attracted me to American football in the first place - there is alot of razzmatazz, big hits and big ego's - thats the type of thing that caught the eye back when I was 10/11 (1986/7).

Back then we used to get one game live on terrestrial TV on a sunday night and one highlights package - that was a peak time for NFL in the UK - the Dolphins were the team to follow with glory boy Marino shredding opposition D week after week.

I picked New England to support because they had the word 'England' in their name - I was a simplistic but honest boy.

These days we get an early and a late game on cable on sunday evening and MNF live aswell - but I doubt if there is enough supporters grouped together in one part of the UK to actually get together to watch a game - none of my friends have any interest in it.

Of course there is a huge deal about the Superbowl and dedicated parties to watch it in major cities, but 95% of those present wouldn't know Joey Porter from Joey Harrington.

Hope that answers your question.

Nigel

ps about 4 cups a day give or take
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:13 AM   #4
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Nigel, your not going to jump up on the couch and grab Mosca's wrists are you? We don't need you going "Tomcat" on us during this interview.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:27 AM   #5
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Nigel, your not going to jump up on the couch and grab Mosca's wrists are you? We don't need you going "Tomcat" on us during this interview.
LOL....actually LITP, I do have a question....we used to trade food with the Brits while overseas...I once got my hands on some gawdawful fish in marinara sauce...is that something that your army concocted in violation of the Geneva convention..or do people actually enjoy it?
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:12 AM   #6
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
LOL....actually LITP, I do have a question....we used to trade food with the Brits while overseas...I once got my hands on some gawdawful fish in marinara sauce...is that something that your army concocted in violation of the Geneva convention..or do people actually enjoy it?
Can't say I have ever had that.

Fish (normally cod or haddock) and chips is still a tasty staple of a Brit's diet

Up north (Newcastle) they put the batter you would normally find on a fried fish on mars bars.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:13 AM   #7
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Sorry, that one has gone right over my head!

What do you mean?

NM
Old 10-28-2006, 10:16 AM   #8
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Sorry, that one has gone right over my head!

What do you mean?

NM
Old 10-28-2006, 10:24 AM   #9
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:

Wow..just WOW!

Ha. I'd heard he pulled some crazy shit on the show but I hadn't actually seen it til just now.

Looks like he is having some type of mental breakdown.

Rest assured, I wont go crazy or leap on the sofa.

NM
Old 10-28-2006, 10:27 AM   #10
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Wow..just WOW!

Ha. I'd heard he pulled some crazy shit on the show but I hadn't actually seen it til just now.

Looks like he is having some type of mental breakdown.

Rest assured, I wont go crazy or leap on the sofa.

NM
Tom has that look in his eye.