Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 10-29-2006, 11:17 PM   #11
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290
Default Re: What Is The Core To Rebuild/Reload This Team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Upgrade the OL, particularly the right side, and the running game improves. Guaranteed. This is a team whose passing game feeds off their ability to run effectively - too many times this season, we have been unable to get into any kind of rhythm running the football, which leads to more passes and more pressure on the QB.

Anyone else notice that we have always seemed to have a problem on the right side of the line, particularly RT? Why is that never addressed adequately?
Max Starksn just isn't a good RT. Plus for man his size he needs to dominate more then he should. The Steelers might as well give Essex a shot at RT.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:56 AM   #12
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32 View Post
Max Starksn just isn't a good RT. Plus for man his size he needs to dominate more then he should. The Steelers might as well give Essex a shot at RT.

Max's height seems to work against him in "space" against shorter more explosive cats. With that said,..... i think it's a problem that can be corrected with experience and hard work in regards to technique. Not ruling out Trai (may the fittest prevail),.....but i think Max can get it together.

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:58 AM   #13
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
This discussion obviously is open ended, but in terms of what parts of this team are the foundation for the future (since the present sucks), my list includes:

QB - Ben and Batch
RB - everything is up for grabs
OL - Faneca and Smith
WR - Ward and Holmes
TE - Miller

DL- Hampton, Smith and Keisel
LB - Foote, Haggans, and James Harrison (age a concern w/Porter & Farrior)
DB - Troy, Taylor and McFadden

Coaches - Whiz & LeBeau

A lot of this team has been around since 2001; with Cowher going it may be time for a major retool
I think you have to include Willie on that list, too.

Sure he didnt have a great game against one of the leagues worst run defenses, but he has been one of the very few consistent parts of this team this year.

The O-Line has been over-rated for quite some time, its getting old all at once - I would imagine the Steelers would be able to utilise some lower round draft picks to improve this area.

WR is a weak link, I know I have kept on about this all year but Ben needs a little more help than he is getting at this time.

Miller is obviously a keeper at TE, but I wonder why the Steelers aren't utilising him properly this year - he appeared ready to make a real step up.

The D looks ok for the most part, nothing major that can't be addressed through the draft - as you say you may lose some 'marquee' names at LBer but if the Steelers are good at one thing its finding LBer talent.

To be honest, its still a mystery to me why this team is struggling so much - especially when you outline the amount of proven talent they have on board.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:34 AM   #14
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

You're right, with all the talent, they shouldn't be this bad. But it's been proven that regardless of the talent level of your players if they don't play as a unit, then you won't get the W!!!
I definitely want to keep Parker. It's not his fault he doesn't have holes to run through. And even if we had The Bus, he wouldn't be doing much either. The line has been sub-par all year. There's no excuse for it.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:38 AM   #15
blitzburgh5
Water Boy

Member Number: 3586

It's not the running back, it's the line. Our line this year is hideous, as evidenced by 5 sacks by the sorry Raiders. Furthermore, big bruising backs can be over-rated. The Giants do well with Tiki, the Falcons do well with Dunn, the Eagles do well with Westbrook; you just have to realize that your back should not be used as if he were a big punishing back. By that I mean dump him the ball on screen passes like the Eagles do with Westbrook. Westbrook catches 7-10 passes a game off of screens. The Eagles then utilize his speed, quickness, and shiftyness. I think Parker could be every bit as good as Westbrook, if they just quit using him up the middle on such a regular basis like they did Bettis. Just look at yesterday, they toss him a screen and he runs 25 yards for a TD.
blitzburgh5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:39 AM   #16
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
I think you have to include Willie on that list, too.

Sure he didnt have a great game against one of the leagues worst run defenses, but he has been one of the very few consistent parts of this team this year.

The O-Line has been over-rated for quite some time, its getting old all at once - I would imagine the Steelers would be able to utilise some lower round draft picks to improve this area.

WR is a weak link, I know I have kept on about this all year but Ben needs a little more help than he is getting at this time.

Miller is obviously a keeper at TE, but I wonder why the Steelers aren't utilising him properly this year - he appeared ready to make a real step up.

The D looks ok for the most part, nothing major that can't be addressed through the draft - as you say you may lose some 'marquee' names at LBer but if the Steelers are good at one thing its finding LBer talent.

To be honest, its still a mystery to me why this team is struggling so much - especially when you outline the amount of proven talent they have on board.

NM
Very good post LITP. I agree with you about Parker. He is a keeper and proven he can get the job done a fulltime starter. Your right about the Oline. Jeff Hartings is done and he now hurt for extended period of time. So the Steelers will get a look at his backup Chucky Okobi. The whole right side of the Steelers Oline is terrible. But Kemoeatu their young RG did start vs the Raiders and has been getting more time over Kendall Simmons. So thats good to see. I think Max Starks who is young is just an average RT. The Steelers starting LT Marvell Smith still has some years left. But the Steelers would be smart to draft or somehow aquire a LT. I also thought Smith was better suited for RT. Where orginally he played. I think Alan Faneca is slowing down some. But I think Hartings short comings could be effecting Faneca's play. I agree the Steelers should address the Oline with a very high draft pick.

I do think the Steelers WR's will be fine. You still have Hines Ward. Plus Washington and Holmes are still young and are coming around the past few weeks. Plus you still have Willie Reid. Another young WR. But if the Steelers land a top five pick and if Georgia Techs Calvin Johnson is there. Then the Steelers have to draft him. He reminds of T.O. without the head aches.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:41 AM   #17
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCzar76 View Post
Max's height seems to work against him in "space" against shorter more explosive cats. With that said,..... i think it's a problem that can be corrected with experience and hard work in regards to technique. Not ruling out Trai (may the fittest prevail),.....but i think Max can get it together.

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"
You might be right bro. You make solid points. I just think Starks is a average RT at best. For a man his size he should dominate more. But that was his knock at Florida also. Now Joe Thomas from Wisconsin would be the perfect tackle prospect for the Steelers. But the Steelers might need a top five pick to draft him.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:48 AM   #18
Need4spd
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1707

An effective running attack is every bit as much about the offensive line and the system as it is the HB who's actually carrying the ball. The Denver Broncos are a perfect example of this. Willie is a more than capable running back, he has already proven that. The player on that list that I'm not sold on is Holmes. I just can't seem to get the images of him muffing punts and fumbling the ball out of my head. Plus, some of the things that I've heard about him as person away from football concern me as well. I know this isn't a popular theory these days, but character does count for something. I have a great deal of faith in the Steelers when it comes to drafting quality talent, but I think the jury is still out on this guy.
"The nature of a man who has a competitive spirit will be to inevitably live a life which involves that man overcoming obstacles. But the sport of football is too physically and emotionally difficult to play simply for money or success. Personally, I have been inspired by God."

- Troy Polamalu, Media Day at Super Bowl XL
Need4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:25 PM   #19
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,965 Times in 3,515 Posts

Holmes has made two sweet catches for big gains down the left sideline the last 2 weeks and was subject to borderline interference on the 4th down throw into the end zone.

He had offseason issues but I think he was a good draft pick.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:48 PM   #20
Need4spd
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Holmes has made two sweet catches for big gains down the left sideline the last 2 weeks and was subject to borderline interference on the 4th down throw into the end zone.

He had offseason issues but I think he was a good draft pick.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06179/701601-66.stm

Read that article and I think you'll agree with me that what he has had are more than just "issues."
"The nature of a man who has a competitive spirit will be to inevitably live a life which involves that man overcoming obstacles. But the sport of football is too physically and emotionally difficult to play simply for money or success. Personally, I have been inspired by God."

- Troy Polamalu, Media Day at Super Bowl XL
Need4spd is offline   Reply With Quote