Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-29-2006, 11:21 PM   #11
PAMillerGrrl83
Starter

Member Number: 3274
Default Re: For the "Football" people amongst the Fam,......(no newly accuired Ben Groupie's

....Granted I'm not as old as some of you guys and gals who've been here longer than me but I am a Steelers fan through and through, yes Ben is my fave player, he and Hines but I am by no means a "Ben Groupie". I've said it before and I'll say it again I've watched Ben through his college days and therefore I am a Ben fan and supporter. So dont think that just because people are "Ben Fans" that they are "Ben Groupies" or "Bandwagon Fans". Sorry if this comes off as harsh or uncalled for but I just feel the need to take up for myself.

~*Heath Miller: Honakers Finest*~
PAMillerGrrl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:45 PM   #12
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290
Default Re: For the "Football" people amongst the Fam,......(no newly accuired Ben Groupie's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines86Ward View Post
I don't really want to have a Top 10 pick, but if we did have one, I would take DE Gaines Adams. I'm a fan of Keisel, but I don't think he's starter material. He's more suited as a guy that can come in when someone is tired & get the job done consistantly. I think the WR's are fine, they're just young & still developing. I think that we could get a RB in the 2nd round, and he'd be sufficient. I think LB is fine, Farrior still has 2-3 good more years in him. The O-Line is alright IMO, they just need to get things together.
You better rethink your Gaines Adams pick for the Steelers. He only weighs in at 265. Thats way to light for a 3-4 DE. In case you havn't noticed. The Steelers DE's usually weigh 290-300 pounds. True Adams could gain the weight. But I think he is better suited for the 4-3 defense as a DE. Now he could be athletic enough to move OLB in the 3-4 defense.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:46 PM   #13
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerSteel View Post
if we draft top 5 (i hope not): Joe Thomas, OT Wisconsin
around 10-15th: Jake Long, OT Michigan

need fresh new meat in that o-line very badly. if not available, a cb will be needed too: Zack Bowman, CB Nebraska, or Leon Hall, CB Michigan.
I second the Joe Thomas pick. But the Steelers might need a top five pick to land Thomas. Max Starks is just terrible at RT.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:06 AM   #14
PirateSteeler
Banned

Member Number: 3364

still to early to tell who is going to be a top 10 pick... people will emerge later in the year/combine. What the hell makes you think KC would trade LJ? Have you heard something that makes you think they will give him up? In that case why dont we trade for Shaun Alexander?
PirateSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:00 AM   #15
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateSteeler View Post
still to early to tell who is going to be a top 10 pick... people will emerge later in the year/combine. What the hell makes you think KC would trade LJ? Have you heard something that makes you think they will give him up? In that case why dont we trade for Shaun Alexander?
I said ATTEMPT to trade the pick to K.C for L.J (You never know,...until you try)
Oh yeah,.....and you can knock it off with the sarcasm.
(Christopher Walken voice...) "The way your talking to me,....the tone,.......it's all wrong" LOL

"Hail Caesar,........HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:27 AM   #16
SteelCzar76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR7SteelersBabe86 View Post
....Granted I'm not as old as some of you guys and gals who've been here longer than me but I am a Steelers fan through and through, yes Ben is my fave player, he and Hines but I am by no means a "Ben Groupie". I've said it before and I'll say it again I've watched Ben through his college days and therefore I am a Ben fan and supporter. So dont think that just because people are "Ben Fans" that they are "Ben Groupies" or "Bandwagon Fans". Sorry if this comes off as harsh or uncalled for but I just feel the need to take up for myself.

Actually Ma,.....i was not speaking of those whom have been longtime Steeler "Fans" and just so happen to regard Ben as their favorite Player.
I was refering to those whom really don't know much about the game and have just recently become "Steeler" faithful within the last two years. (Which is not neccessarily a "bad thing")
I'm not trying to "check anyone's oil" (so to speak),.....but you just can't really talk "STEELER" football with them,...... from the standpoint of what's best for this
ORGANIZATION.
With that said,.......if i take the context of your post correctly,......i don't think you would fall into such a catagory. And thereby should take no offense, or feel any need to defend yourself. (Though i do appreciate your fire)

"Hail Caesar,........HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"
Old 10-30-2006, 01:35 AM   #17
SteelCzar76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32 View Post
You better rethink your Gaines Adams pick for the Steelers. He only weighs in at 265. Thats way to light for a 3-4 DE. In case you havn't noticed. The Steelers DE's usually weigh 290-300 pounds. True Adams could gain the weight. But I think he is better suited for the 4-3 defense as a DE. Now he could be athletic enough to move OLB in the 3-4 defense.

Exactly.
Good call 32. Whom as a "tweener" would you look for in the later round's ?

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"
Old 10-30-2006, 02:04 AM   #18
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCzar76 View Post
If you've posted here for a reasonable amount of time LoveJoy,....you know exactly how i feel in regards to our secondary outside of Troy. (LOL) However,....i don't think any of the corners in this year's crop warrant "top ten" value. (Though they're are some good prospect's like Daymeion Hughes out of Cal.)
S Laron Landry out of Lsu is a blue chip kid,.....but he's more of "Box" safety. (and i think Anthony Smith could very well be the physical Ballhawk we need at F/S.)
Though i am in Favor of picking up Sabby Piscitelli out of Oregon State later in the Draft to back up Smith. And let Clark backup Troy.

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"
I would prefer to trade our draft pick for a proven CB... now the quesiton is, is there a proven CB that we would want? Regardless of what he said.. I like DeAngelo Hall.. He can provide return speed on kickoffs and punts.. plus he won't (Probably) get burned deep. The real problem is, can whoever we pick as a DB play in the Lebeau system? Which brings up a deeper question....

Is the Lebeau zone blitz system as effective as it once was. Teams can drive on us with the short pass. So I guess the better question is... Do we build our defense for this system? or do we go get pure athletes that can adapt to whatever sytem may come (don't forget, Lebeau is up there in age... retirement or um.... nature's retirement (hopefully not) may be coming over the next few years.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:46 AM   #19
SteelCzar76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I would prefer to trade our draft pick for a proven CB... now the quesiton is, is there a proven CB that we would want? Regardless of what he said.. I like DeAngelo Hall.. He can provide return speed on kickoffs and punts.. plus he won't (Probably) get burned deep. The real problem is, can whoever we pick as a DB play in the Lebeau system? Which brings up a deeper question....

Is the Lebeau zone blitz system as effective as it once was. Teams can drive on us with the short pass. So I guess the better question is... Do we build our defense for this system? or do we go get pure athletes that can adapt to whatever sytem may come (don't forget, Lebeau is up there in age... retirement or um.... nature's retirement (hopefully not) may be coming over the next few years.

Very interesting post Preach. Good questions.
In regards to our system,.... i'm in favor of coach Lebeau's system becoming a staple here.
What i mean to say is,.... it should be ran here by someone he's taught it to before he decide's to move on.
I say this because it's somewhat less difficult to find and groom "tweener" collgiate DE's into dynamic Lb's,....... than it is to build a dominant base 4-3 front. The 3-4 actually gives you the flexibility of having more athleticism on the field. (Making it extremely difficult to run against)
The reason teams are killin us underneath passing is because coach Lebeau is giving them cushion's to protect our corners. If he felt we had the guy's to press oppossing Wr's and not get beat,.....please believe he would do it. (A player like Hall would do much to change this,.....good call)
In short i think the scheme is exceptional,......but we have yet to see it's maximum effectiveness with our current personel.
Picture it (our system) with someone of Aaron's equal abilty at Keisel's spot along with Hamp. A stud F/S and two corners talented and consistent enough to play press coverage in the secondary with Troy. With our L/b's,......such a Defense would be an absolute MACHINE.
But hey that's just my opinion,......what do i know ?LOL

"Church"

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"
Old 10-30-2006, 03:03 AM   #20
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCzar76 View Post
Very interesting post Preach. Good questions.
In regards to our system,.... i'm in favor of coach Lebeau's system becoming a staple here.
What i mean to say is,.... it should be ran here by someone he's taught it to before he decide's to move on.
I say this because it's somewhat less difficult to find and groom "tweener" collgiate DE's into dynamic Lb's,....... than it is to build a dominant base 4-3 front. The 3-4 actually gives you the flexibility of having more athleticism on the field. (Making it extremely difficult to run against)
The reason teams are killin us underneath passing is because coach Lebeau is giving them cushion's to protect our corners. If he felt we had the guy's to press oppossing Wr's and not get beat,.....please believe he would do it. (A player like Hall would do much to change this,.....good call)
In short i think the scheme is exceptional,......but we have yet to see it's maximum effectiveness with our current personel.
Picture it (our system) with someone of Aaron's equal abilty at Keisel's spot along with Hamp. A stud F/S and two corners talented and consistent enough to play press coverage in the secondary with Troy. With our L/b's,......such a Defense would be an absolute MACHINE.
But hey that's just my opinion,......what do i know ?LOL

"Church"

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Good thoughts.

However, do we have to run a zone blitz with a 3-4 defense? I absolutely agree it is great to pick up the tweeners.. But from what I have heard, the reason we are getting beat short is because the CB's HAVE TO play off the receivers, so that they can pick up other areas of responsibility based on the play. That is what makes me wonder if the zone blitz is showing its age. Once a coach exams enough tape and sees who has what responsibility, you throw to that receiver that is in the open zone.

Then again, I am on my second Super big gulp of the night... DRUNK ON DIET COKE!

I gotta stop these Diet coke drunken escapades!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote