Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 10-30-2006, 10:58 AM   #1
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default A lesson in humility...by the Almighty

You know last year I was blessed, bountifully. My daughter was born in June 2005 and that following football season my beloved Steelers won the Super Bowl!! I was in heaven...or was I?
The other day at a men's bible study group I was asked if I've placed the Steelers on a pedistal and made them an idol before God.
That hit me, hit me hard.
Last year after the Super Bowl and about a half hour of celebrating with friends in the fan club, I headed home to get my wife and daughter. I got to where they were at and my wife, being tired and ready for bed mumbled, "Your daughter is on the floor, get her and let's go...I'm tired!" To me I didn't care how she was, my team just won the Super Bowl. But it wasn't until these recent events at the men's group that I've realized that I put the Steelers before my family as well.
So this year, I told my wife that I would go to the bar once a month to watch the games and other than that, I'll be home to help out with whatever.
BUT, I was still putting the Steelers before God.
So now here we are 8 weeks into the NFL season and at times I have worshipped an organization and players before the Almighty God.
Don't get me wrong, I'll always be a Steelers Fan and my daughter will also be raised the same. However, I can not be a Fan that puts anything of this earth before the Lord and I will not allow my daughter to walk that path.
The Lord was with me last year when all the good things happened with the Steelers and he's with me now and I'm learning that as much as I love football, the final outcome of the season (winning or losing) isn't as important as I have made it to be!
For as much as I bleed black and gold, as much as I dislike trolls that have no or little football knowledge, and as much as I love the Steelers.....I LOVE JESUS MORE!!!!
This year, so far, has been a lesson in humility. A lesson in learning that there is more to my life on God's green earth than the Steelers and/or football in general. It's about being a great, loving husband and father! It's about teaching my family about Christ and how we should ALWAYS focus our eyes on HIM!
To all my friends in Steelers Nation - we are the best fans in the world! I pray God's blessings on all of you. To all of the trolls, I pray God's blessings on you too!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:06 AM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: A lesson in humility...by the Almighty

So God is punishing you for watching too much football by making the Steelers lose?

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:10 AM   #3
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

I didn't say that.
I'm just opening up to the fact that I have placed this team before God.
I honestly believe that God doesn't care who wins. He wants to know what we've done to further His kingdom on Earth.
It's hard to further His kindgom when I'm placing Idols in front of Him.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:13 AM   #4
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

If THAT is the jist that you got from his heartfelt post, then I really do feel sorry for you, LITP. (And yes, I know you were asking a question.)

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:18 AM   #5
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
You know last year I was blessed, bountifully. My daughter was born in June 2005 and that following football season my beloved Steelers won the Super Bowl!! I was in heaven...or was I?
The other day at a men's bible study group I was asked if I've placed the Steelers on a pedistal and made them an idol before God.
That hit me, hit me hard.
Last year after the Super Bowl and about a half hour of celebrating with friends in the fan club, I headed home to get my wife and daughter. I got to where they were at and my wife, being tired and ready for bed mumbled, "Your daughter is on the floor, get her and let's go...I'm tired!" To me I didn't care how she was, my team just won the Super Bowl. But it wasn't until these recent events at the men's group that I've realized that I put the Steelers before my family as well.
So this year, I told my wife that I would go to the bar once a month to watch the games and other than that, I'll be home to help out with whatever.
BUT, I was still putting the Steelers before God.
So now here we are 8 weeks into the NFL season and at times I have worshipped an organization and players before the Almighty God.
Don't get me wrong, I'll always be a Steelers Fan and my daughter will also be raised the same. However, I can not be a Fan that puts anything of this earth before the Lord and I will not allow my daughter to walk that path.
The Lord was with me last year when all the good things happened with the Steelers and he's with me now and I'm learning that as much as I love football, the final outcome of the season (winning or losing) isn't as important as I have made it to be!
For as much as I bleed black and gold, as much as I dislike trolls that have no or little football knowledge, and as much as I love the Steelers.....I LOVE JESUS MORE!!!!
This year, so far, has been a lesson in humility. A lesson in learning that there is more to my life on God's green earth than the Steelers and/or football in general. It's about being a great, loving husband and father! It's about teaching my family about Christ and how we should ALWAYS focus our eyes on HIM!
To all my friends in Steelers Nation - we are the best fans in the world! I pray God's blessings on all of you. To all of the trolls, I pray God's blessings on you too!
Thanks for such a heartfelt post. There aren't many people that would look at themselves that deeply or openly admit those things. I really commend you for doing that hard thing and looking at your priorities in life. It will serve you and your family very well. God's blessings right back at ya!

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:30 AM   #6
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
So God is punishing you for watching too much football by making the Steelers lose?

NM
Let me give you an example of what I mean. Yesterday I was at the bar watching the game. Yelling, screaming, cheering....outraged at the lost. It hurt to watch my team give away a game they should have won.
As I got home, I get to the door and I could hear my little girl yelling, "Dad-de, dad-de". As I walked in the door, I put my things down and received a hug and kiss and gleaming smile!

Now you tell me how any man could put the Steelers or football in general before that?

That was my little girl, a blessing from the heavens above! And how was I honoring the Lord for my precious gift...I put the Steelers in front of Him!

Old 10-30-2006, 11:44 AM   #7
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

Nice post. I do have a question...and it's just a question: Why does it take a losing season for you to come to these conclusions?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:48 AM   #8
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klick81 View Post
Nice post. I do have a question...and it's just a question: Why does it take a losing season for you to come to these conclusions?
It has nothing to do with the losing season, but it is because it wasn't until the last few weeks that I have been questioned at the men's bible study. It was only after the last few meetings that I have had to reflect back on my actions and admit where I was with the Steelers and their impact on my relationship with Christ.

I can only summize that because I was so close to the situation that I didn't see it for what it was but thanks to my friends they weren't afraid to bring it to my attention and hold me accountable for my actions.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:53 AM   #9
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

OK, I have a question. Why were you at a bar watching the game, instead of at home with your family and your little girl? I'm not religious at all, and I have that one figured out.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:57 AM   #10
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
OK, I have a question. Why were you at a bar watching the game, instead of at home with your family and your little girl? I'm not religious at all, and I have that one figured out.

Tom
Well, i don't think that's that bad at all. I think every person is entitled to their "own" time. If he's doing it EVERY day, then that's another thing. The fact that he's worrying about this now shows that he's a caring husband/father, trying to fix something that he may in his mind, be doing wrong. And no...i'm not religious either.
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote