Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-30-2006, 10:59 AM   #11
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396
Default Re: A lesson in humility...by the Almighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
It has nothing to do with the losing season, but it is because it wasn't until the last few weeks that I have been questioned at the men's bible study.
Makes sense.
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:01 AM   #12
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
OK, I have a question. Why were you at a bar watching the game, instead of at home with your family and your little girl? I'm not religious at all, and I have that one figured out.

Tom
I'm at the bar because that's the only place in the area in which I live that I can watch Steelers games. If I could afford the NFL Sunday Ticket then I would be home. But as with any fan, I still like to watch the games and it's not possible here unless it's prime time. When it is prime time, I watch at home...but thanks for asking!

So what have you figured out?

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:11 AM   #13
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts

The Sunday Ticket is around $200 a year.

Having done the sports bar scene from the late 1980s with the Steelers until I received a dish as a Christmas gift in 1996, I would respectfully submit that when you factor in the cost of patronizing the sports bar in terms of food & drink + the advantage of watching the games in the comfort of your own home that DirecTV is worth the $$.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:19 AM   #14
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,796 Times in 2,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
The Sunday Ticket is around $200 a year.

Having done the sports bar scene from the late 1980s with the Steelers until I received a dish as a Christmas gift in 1996, I would respectfully submit that when you factor in the cost of patronizing the sports bar in terms of food & drink + the advantage of watching the games in the comfort of your own home that DirecTV is worth the $$.
I agree, Take the money you would spend at the bar and get NFL tik. I did about 8 years ago and its worth every penny. I know directv has special offers for new customers and you could probly get your first year with some sort of deal, like half price or something like that.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:23 AM   #15
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

Quote:
Originally Posted by klick81 View Post
Well, i don't think that's that bad at all. I think every person is entitled to their "own" time. If he's doing it EVERY day, then that's another thing. The fact that he's worrying about this now shows that he's a caring husband/father, trying to fix something that he may in his mind, be doing wrong. And no...i'm not religious either.
.[/QUOTE]I agree with you. In my experience balance is the key to everything.

Last evening, after the game, I went to our Children's Hospital to visit some dear friends who had twins 6 weeks ago at 2 1/2 lbs each. One is in a neonatal intensive care in the hospital where they were born. The other had to be taken to Children's for belly surgery a few weeks ago. Obviously being in that type of a crisis atmosphere, it brings to full realization what is truly important.

Life would be pretty dull and monotonous as well as stressful without entertainment and the diversion that it brings. Keeping it in perspective is the balancing act.

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:29 AM   #16
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Quote:
I'm at the bar because that's the only place in the area in which I live that I can watch Steelers games. If I could afford the NFL Sunday Ticket then I would be home. But as with any fan, I still like to watch the games and it's not possible here unless it's prime time. When it is prime time, I watch at home...but thanks for asking!

So what have you figured out?
Fair enough.

What works for me is that family is what I'm here for. But I recognize that everyone's different. I was just giving you a little tweak, I didn't mean anything by it; I should have stuck a smiley at the end.

I understand what you mean when you say you were putting the Steelers before God. It's like what I've put here a couple times, and some people don't understand. Win or lose, it's a beautiful day. Tomorrow will be beautiful, too. Yesterday, after the game, I went down to the garage and worked on the car some, came back in and watched a little TV with my wife while my daughter did her homework, wrote a little bit here, talked on the phone with my sister, and went to bed. It was a beautiful morning this morning.

It's easier to deal with taunters with this attitude; they're trying to get to the people who take all this stuff too seriously. I've noticed that when I respond seriously to them, I get ignored. they'd rather get the goat of the rabid bleeders. Fine with me, it's all good.

Perspective, perspective. Don't define yourself by your team affililation, define yourself by how well you've lived your life and by how well you are loved by others (paraphrased from the Wizard of Oz).

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:32 AM   #17
Btrice
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3145

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrabt View Post
I agree, Take the money you would spend at the bar and get NFL tik. I did about 8 years ago and its worth every penny. I know directv has special offers for new customers and you could probly get your first year with some sort of deal, like half price or something like that.
Another option would be to find a friend who is a fan of the Steelers or even another team (not the local teams obviously). Split the cost and have them over for the game and/or their game. I'm sure your wife would not want a bunch of screaming men around the house when you have a little kid but maybe 1-2 people would work.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:11 PM   #18
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrabt View Post
First, I don't drink alcoholic beverages when I go to the bar. I drink either water or coke. Second, my food is either paid for or I eat before I go (because my wife is a fabulous cook!)!

So my average tab is less than $5. Trust me, I wish I could get the Sunday Ticket. It would make it easier to teach my daughter about Steelers football. But considering I only go to the bar about 4-5 times year (not including playoffs), that's not enough savings to even attempt to convince my wife that we need satellite and the Sunday Ticket.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:18 PM   #19
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Let me clear some air here. It's not about being religious, it's about having a relationship with Christ. Christ walked and talked with people that the religious leaders thought were sinners and bad people. That's who he came to save!
Mosca, I appreciate the tweaking questions. I'm coming into a place where I am open to other's opinions about my actions.
I am here for my family but I need that break from reality. The every day and every weekend events can wear a man down! Those few hours a month that I spend watching the games is more than enough to keep me going. And when this season is over, I will go about my life, doing my honey-do list until next season when I will once again take the once a month diversion.

Old 10-31-2006, 04:24 AM   #20
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Let me give you an example of what I mean. Yesterday I was at the bar watching the game. Yelling, screaming, cheering....outraged at the lost. It hurt to watch my team give away a game they should have won.
As I got home, I get to the door and I could hear my little girl yelling, "Dad-de, dad-de". As I walked in the door, I put my things down and received a hug and kiss and gleaming smile!

Now you tell me how any man could put the Steelers or football in general before that?

That was my little girl, a blessing from the heavens above! And how was I honoring the Lord for my precious gift...I put the Steelers in front of Him!
Thanks for the reply.

Working all night so didnt get a chance to reply til just now.

You know, I think its down to each individual but personally I think everyone needs their own time, of course you dont ignore your family but I think there is a happy medium.

That happy medium is different for everyone of course, but I dont think you should beat yourself up too much because of few hours each week for a third of the year spent with friends watching a team you love play ball.

The fact that you even think about this stuff puts you above plenty of husbands/fathers.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote