Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-30-2006, 01:02 PM   #1
Stillers#1
Banned

Member Number: 1082
Default Ben is going to be fine

This kind of goes along with all of the "Quit Crying" type of threads I have seen latley, but I thought this subject deserved its own thread.

Everyone seems to be dumping on Ben, the media, fans, and fans of other teams. They say he isn't on the same level of the other QB's drafted with him. They say Eli is more mature, has better athletic ability, and Philip was given the time to grow into a better QB by sitting his first two years. I say BS. I say Ben never had to go through any type of growing pains (except the '05 playoffs), Ben was put into a position where, anyone could have won a game with the team he had around him. Ben made the few plays a game he was expected to make, and that was that. Now, this year, he is supposed to be out leader. He is being expected to play at a level where, he never had to be at before. Now we are asking him to throw the ball 25+ times per game. In my eyes, Ben is still a rookie QB. He doesn't have the experience of losing, like Carson Palmer went through, all Ben has known so far, is winning. With any QB, there will be growing pains, Ben just happened to get a Super Bowl ring before he went through his. Ben will be fine.

This season is not over yet. Not by a long shot.
Stillers#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:07 PM   #2
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86
Default Re: Ben is going to be fine

You know I have been getting very angry with fans saying get rid of Ben and such. In Ben's 3 years in the league. Season 1 takes us to AFC Championship game. Season 2 wins a Superbowl. Season 3 has a bad season. Umm... I'm not ready to give up on him yet lol.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:09 PM   #3
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

That's what I'm talking about!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:14 PM   #4
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,437 Times in 1,669 Posts

He'll be fine, he just kinda got thrown into the fire this year. With out much of a running game, He's being asked to carrie the team and trying to do to much and making stupid bonehead mistakes.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:32 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,150 Times in 2,647 Posts

eli manning hasnt exactly been lighting it up. heres what he did yesterday 16/31 154 1 0

and p. rivers? 15/23 206 1 0. both players had wins and ironically their stats and seasons are mirroring what ben was able to do his 1st 2 seasons.

many are perhaps unfairly expecting him to look like tom brady or p. manning in just his 3rd season. one difference is you never see their knee bent backwards or see them laying motionless on the ground.

ben is playing alot like brett farve who was trying to do too much last year when he led the league with 27 int's. sure there are alot of farve bashers but im one who firmly believes he doesnt suck and his downfall was forcing the ball. heres farves numbers from yesterdays gb win: 17/25 180 1 0.

anyone see the trend here? ben practically begged for more passing in the offseason and hes not hidden that he would like to put up mvp and hall of fame numbers. hes confident he can do just that. but he can also just put up mediocre numbers, not turn the ball over and win games.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:36 PM   #6
VolatileMan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 329

First off, Ben is our future PERIOD.

Second, we can attribute several losses DIRECTLY TO HIM.

We kicked Cincy's ass up and down the field, yes the D could have played a little better but the INT's were HUGE!

We played Jacksonville tough enough to win, Ben was totally ineffective.

Oakland, my god what was he thinking on some of those throws??

Bottom line Ben is playing like a rookie, physically he still has all the skills but his decission make is absolutely pathetic. Review all of his interceptions and I gaurentee Batch doesnt even throw half of those, Id even bet Ben in his first season doesnt make half of those throws.

Ben know looks more like Brett Fareve (current version) when he needs to be playing more like Ben in his first year.

If you dont believe 2 major concussions and some assorted surgeries over the last year doesnt affect someone, your crazy.

Damit, we could ruin this guy if we dont give him the time he really needs to recover, both physically and MENTALLY.

I truly believe if Batch palyed yestarday we would have one, hell we would have won with Ward playing QB. Because those guys wouldnt have tried to put this team on its shoulders and forced the issue. For Gods sakes the Raiders couldnt even generate 100 yard of total offense.

Ben needs to get his head on straight, he is not quit right (and this franchise needs to give him the time to do this).

just my $.02
VolatileMan
VolatileMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:59 PM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
eli manning hasnt exactly been lighting it up. heres what he did yesterday 16/31 154 1 0

and p. rivers? 15/23 206 1 0. both players had wins and ironically their stats and seasons are mirroring what ben was able to do his 1st 2 seasons.

many are perhaps unfairly expecting him to look like tom brady or p. manning in just his 3rd season. one difference is you never see their knee bent backwards or see them laying motionless on the ground.

ben is playing alot like brett farve who was trying to do too much last year when he led the league with 27 int's. sure there are alot of farve bashers but im one who firmly believes he doesnt suck and his downfall was forcing the ball. heres farves numbers from yesterdays gb win: 17/25 180 1 0.

anyone see the trend here? ben practically begged for more passing in the offseason and hes not hidden that he would like to put up mvp and hall of fame numbers. hes confident he can do just that. but he can also just put up mediocre numbers, not turn the ball over and win games.

I would only add to that the inexplainable subpar performance of our Offensive line.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:05 PM   #8
gregstephens
Water Boy

Member Number: 3097

I would add that these points are exactly what I brought up in my column last month about not giving up on Ben. However, read my latest column "Time to Stop the Madness", and you'll see why I support sitting Ben a game or two to get him back on track.
gregstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:17 PM   #9
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917

I would not have minded sitting him against the Raiders so he could heal up a bit
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:19 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,150 Times in 2,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregstephens View Post
I would add that these points are exactly what I brought up in my column last month about not giving up on Ben. However, read my latest column "Time to Stop the Madness", and you'll see why I support sitting Ben a game or two to get him back on track.
very good column
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote