Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-31-2006, 03:55 AM   #11
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: Patriots/Vikings

That was one of the most awesome displays by a Patriots team I have seen in a long while.

It was a clever game plan, but execution is everything and Brady was near on perfect.

It was amusing listening to those goons on MNF procrastinate about whether Arizona and GreenBay would come out and use the same idea - well, they may try to implement it but have they got the coaching and talent to carry it through?

Its not often you see a defense so sold on the pass that your full back runs for 35 yards on a single carry.

Maroney showed some beautiful moves, but I was most impressed with his strength after the first hit - he just kept ploughing forward.

Looks like the WRs are getting into sync with Brady which can only be bad news for the rest of the NFL.

The D showed they can do the bend-dont-break thing and also mix in some heavy blitzing - what they did to Bollinger ought to be illegal.

Brad Johnson made some poor decisions (for a QB who has done something in the league), but one of the more perecetive comments from the booth noted that he is far from the first QB to be bamboozled by the Patriots schemes on D - and he wont be the last either.

BB will be preaching - just another win - and thats exactly what it is - steady improvement to peak form by the post season.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:34 AM   #12
Chronicgaming
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 1067

Congrats on the win LITP. I have to admit, it was fun watching some of the drives that New England put together. Nice victory (even though I was hoping the Vikings would get the win... haha).
Old 10-31-2006, 09:37 AM   #13
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,654 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Brad Johnson made some poor decisions (for a QB who has done something in the league), but one of the more perecetive comments from the booth noted that he is far from the first QB to be bamboozled by the Patriots schemes on D - and he wont be the last either.

NM
dont get hung up on me correctly pointing out that they were facing a qb who has accomplished significantly more than harrington, losman, and the likes of noodlearm and noodleknee. it is ironic they got another chance to tee off on bollinger yet again.

but like i said, johnson would have to throw the ball (and be successful in doing so) 40-45 times in order to pull out the win.

as good as the execution was i think last night was where belichick was at his best. his gameplan was like that of a champion poker player or chess player. in poker you have to play the cards close to your vest and even fold on a good hand or 2 to keep you opponents off guard and set them up.

the vikings had seen nothing on film to suggest the patriots were gonna come out and throw for 250 yds in the 1st half. this same strategy (along with us serving the ball up on a platter) was what helped the falcons and chargers beat the steelers through the air. with recent weak opponents 'chick had the liberty to not show his hand or play some good cards.

now, like a great chess player, this move was really to set up the next one, which is the colts who are undisputedly the best team they will face to date. half of the coaching for next weeks game is done. you have to think the colts have been focusing on how to stop the patriots run. last night thats exactly what they wanted and expected minnesota to do. didnt work out too well. while i think the colts will win, the biggest obstacle they will face starts today. paralysis by overanalysis.

these 2 games will be ones that the bears study heavilly for their upcoming matchup, so as you can see, last nights game will go a long way. bills offensive philosophy has always been to keep the defense guessing, and guessing wrong. the only way to combat this is to gamble and send the house and keep blitzing, because playing on your heels or playing a prevent defense doesnt work against the pats.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:44 AM   #14
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
the vikings had seen nothing on film to suggest the patriots were gonna come out and throw for 250 yds in the 1st half.
Anyone who didn't know the Pats were going to pass, pass, and pass somemore last night has been following the league from Mars. The fact that they did it so well shouldn't really surprise anyone either except those who are wishing Brady and the Patriots would just go away.
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:53 AM   #15
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Believer View Post
Anyway, HW - am curious to hear your impression Taylor after you watch this game. He seems a bit underated to me.
Fortunately we/I didn't get a chance to see him that much last night.
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:20 AM   #16
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronicgaming View Post
Congrats on the win LITP. I have to admit, it was fun watching some of the drives that New England put together. Nice victory (even though I was hoping the Vikings would get the win... haha).
Thanks Chronic,

It was exciting stuff most of the game - major props to the O-Line, Brady had alot of time to make some of those throws.

It doesnt surprise me that Pittsburgh fans root against the Patriots, but its good to see someone give them credit!

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:48 AM   #17
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,264 Times in 3,630 Posts

NBC has to be ecstatic with Colts-Pats followed by Giants-Bears the next two Sunday nights.

Congrats to Belichek & Brady for not being satsfied with past accomplishments, unlike a certain other coach I watch every Sunday.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:50 AM   #18
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
NBC has to be ecstatic with Colts-Pats followed by Giants-Bears the next two Sunday nights.

Congrats to Belichek & Brady for not being satsfied with past accomplishments, unlike a certain other coach I watch every Sunday.
Cheers AtlantaDan!

NM
Old 10-31-2006, 03:24 PM   #19
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Hardwork, LITP your team looked real sharp and good last night. That was very impressive. LITP, You know I always give the Pats their just due. Again last night that team showed they are one of the best teams in the NFL. Before the season I still thought the Pats were the best team in the AFC East and a top 3-4 in the AFC. But last night the Pats showed they are top five or better in the whole NFL.

I agree with you LITP the WR's seem to be finding a rythem with Tom Brady. Both Gabriel and Caldwell had good games. Plus Chad Jackson and Troy Brown both scored TD's. Then you have the freak at TE in Ben Watson. I havn't even mentioned the Pats running game yet. The Pats didn't need their combo at RB last night. I bet this week with the Colts struggles at stopping the run. I see Dillon and Maroney having big games against the Colts. Plus we all know who Peyton Manning's daddy is. Its Bill Belichick.

Hats off to your organization. As long as number 12 is healthy and under center the Pats will be a force in the NFL. I won't bet against the Pats come playoff time. I'm calling it right now. The Pats will beat both the Colts and Bears.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:26 PM   #20
Cape Cod Steel Head
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 545

As much as I hate to admit it The Patsy's looked very good last nite. Then again they have only really been tested once, and we know how that turned out!

Last edited by Cape Cod Steel Head; 10-31-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Cape Cod Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote