Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-30-2006, 02:47 PM   #1
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default A letter to the commissioner

In a letter dated Oct 30, 2006 and mailed out this afternoon....

Roger Goodell
National Football League
280 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10017

Dear Mr. Goodell:

I would like to first congratulate you on becoming the NFL Commissioner. I hope that you are able to lead the NFL into the future with greater success than Mr. Tagliabue (and he did have great success).

Now I would like to open up to you and whoever else takes the time to read letters from the fans, several areas of concern that I as a fan of the NFL have about the league.

First is tradition. There were several things that were consistent with the NFL that was looked forward to by anyone who was a fan. One of those events was Monday night football on ABC. I understand that changes take place and it most cases it?s good. However, I would argue that allowing MNF to go to ESPN is not a good change. Is the change in revenue that great that now fans that aren?t able to get ESPN or the NFL Network are no longer able to watch those games? Another one is Thanksgiving. Thursday night games on the NFL Network, sounds great (only because I have the NFL Network) but having the additional game on Thanksgiving night just isn?t right. The tradition of having the Cowboys and the Lions play on Thanksgiving is awesome; let?s not spoil that by adding hype to the league?s own station showing games on Thanksgiving night!

Second is consistency. I?ve noticed over the last several years that the referees have become more and more unreliable and inconsistent across the board. What one referee calls, another allows. I could rattle off several examples for you, but that would only waste your time and mine. However, I hope that you are aware of these inconsistencies and will take measures to correct them. Allowing officials to dictate that certain teams and/or players are allowed to get away with penalties while other teams and/or players are being flagged for what I would term, ?ticky tack? fouls sends a message that the outcome of games could be fixed and that the NFL has their favorites and if they don?t win, then it ruins the league.

Third is having fun. I remember growing up, I was always told to go out and have fun when we played games. Now it seems that the NFL no longer wants this game to be about fun. While I honestly believe that players that score TDs should act like they?ve been there before, I feel that taking away their right to express themselves in the form of a dance or show of emotion, just takes away from some of the individuality that has been enlarged due to the parity in the league. Allow the players to have fun again. Let them celebrate with other team mates or by themselves. Because from what I?ve seen (as stated up in item #2) is that officials allow certain teams and/or players to get away with it while others are not).

Finally, I want to express to you my dissatisfaction with the way that Super Bowl tickets are no longer available to the general public. Has the league sold out that much that it no longer recognizes the individuals responsible for its growth ? the fans? I know the league holds out 500 pairs of tickets to the general public for raffle by the league but that?s only 1000 tickets in stadiums that hold close to 75,000, if not more, fans. That?s just over 1%. Give the game back to the fans because the players and coaches are giving it back to the fans by selling their tickets for more than their face value or they have to be purchased at a ticket broker for even higher prices. And isn?t that just legalized scalping?

I hope you are willing to step in and make this game enjoyable for the fans again. It is a large task and one I hope you are up to handle!

Sincerely,

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917
Default Re: A letter to the commissioner

Great points, I hope SOMEBODY reads it
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:10 AM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
First is tradition. There were several things that were consistent with the NFL that was looked forward to by anyone who was a fan. One of those events was Monday night football on ABC. I understand that changes take place and it most cases it’s good. However, I would argue that allowing MNF to go to ESPN is not a good change. Is the change in revenue that great that now fans that aren’t able to get ESPN or the NFL Network are no longer able to watch those games? Another one is Thanksgiving. Thursday night games on the NFL Network, sounds great (only because I have the NFL Network) but having the additional game on Thanksgiving night just isn’t right. The tradition of having the Cowboys and the Lions play on Thanksgiving is awesome; let’s not spoil that by adding hype to the league’s own station showing games on Thanksgiving night!
I guess these things come down to opinion, its always struck me as odd that the Cowboys and Lions get an added advantage/disadvantage over the teams that play at regular times on the sunday.

Quote:
Second is consistency. I’ve noticed over the last several years that the referees have become more and more unreliable and inconsistent across the board. What one referee calls, another allows. I could rattle off several examples for you, but that would only waste your time and mine. However, I hope that you are aware of these inconsistencies and will take measures to correct them. Allowing officials to dictate that certain teams and/or players are allowed to get away with penalties while other teams and/or players are being flagged for what I would term, “ticky tack” fouls sends a message that the outcome of games could be fixed and that the NFL has their favorites and if they don’t win, then it ruins the league.
You are quite correct that the calling of the refs has been extremely inconsistent but has it become moreso?

Well I guess thats another opinion call but one factor could be the increased use of replays available to the viewing public.

However, its seems that even with the help of the replay the officials still manage to make clear cut decisions incorrectly.

Quote:
Third is having fun. I remember growing up, I was always told to go out and have fun when we played games. Now it seems that the NFL no longer wants this game to be about fun. While I honestly believe that players that score TDs should act like they’ve been there before, I feel that taking away their right to express themselves in the form of a dance or show of emotion, just takes away from some of the individuality that has been enlarged due to the parity in the league. Allow the players to have fun again. Let them celebrate with other team mates or by themselves. Because from what I’ve seen (as stated up in item #2) is that officials allow certain teams and/or players to get away with it while others are not).
I dont mind spiking the ball, and an players congratulating each other - but the 'dancing' phenomonon is unnecessary and goes against everything you talked about in your opening paragraph regarding tradition.

I have repeatedly watched players celebrate with a choreographed moves, right in the middle of their team being totally beaten down on the scoreboard - its just embarrasing to watch these self obsessed individual convince themselves that they are the main attraction.

Grown men dancing like that without the aid of alcohol is inexcusable.

Quote:
Finally, I want to express to you my dissatisfaction with the way that Super Bowl tickets are no longer available to the general public. Has the league sold out that much that it no longer recognizes the individuals responsible for its growth – the fans? I know the league holds out 500 pairs of tickets to the general public for raffle by the league but that’s only 1000 tickets in stadiums that hold close to 75,000, if not more, fans. That’s just over 1%. Give the game back to the fans because the players and coaches are giving it back to the fans by selling their tickets for more than their face value or they have to be purchased at a ticket broker for even higher prices. And isn’t that just legalized scalping?

I hope you are willing to step in and make this game enjoyable for the fans again. It is a large task and one I hope you are up to handle!

Sincerely,
That sounds like a very valid point.

Id say there were some good points and some not so good, its just a shame it takes a loss to Oakland and a potential losing season before the subject arises.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.

Last edited by Livinginthe past; 10-31-2006 at 05:13 AM.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:16 AM   #4
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

The letter has been an idea since the beginning of this season when the tradition of the Monday night games was lost and the inconsistencies began to pile up. It was actually written a week ago but never mailed.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:26 AM   #5
Chronicgaming
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 1067

I think that your points about inconsistency are definitely good. I wonder if we have been noticing the inconsistent calls more because of the celebration penalties and some of the calls made in the Colts and Seahawks games during the playoff run. It seems that this has been a big issue for some teams for a long time (Buffalo for example).
Old 10-31-2006, 10:13 AM   #6
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronicgaming View Post
I think that your points about inconsistency are definitely good. I wonder if we have been noticing the inconsistent calls more because of the celebration penalties and some of the calls made in the Colts and Seahawks games during the playoff run. It seems that this has been a big issue for some teams for a long time (Buffalo for example).
I think it has to do with a lack of accountability towards the refs. The fact that they try to sweep under the rug any time refs make a pathetic, obviously wrong call.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:29 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,080 Times in 4,583 Posts

Quote:
I think it has to do with a lack of accountability towards the refs. The fact that they try to sweep under the rug any time refs make a pathetic, obviously wrong call.
like being able to figure out what is a catch.

a catch is a catch is a catch. its one of the most fundamental plays in football yet half the officiationg crews still do not know what one is. j. wiggins had a perfectly legitimate catch ripped away last night by refs who seemed like they started watching football last week.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 02:44 PM   #8
Stillers#1
Banned

Member Number: 1082

Good points, I am right there along with you on all of them. Although, I do believe Chad Johnson should be shot in the face with a bazooka when he tried to celebrate. It's only fair.
Stillers#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 02:58 PM   #9
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,466 Times in 2,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillers#1 View Post
Good points, I am right there along with you on all of them. Although, I do believe Chad Johnson should be shot in the face with a bazooka when he tried to celebrate. It's only fair.
At least fine him a few grand---Its only fair

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:13 PM   #10
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Good Letter. Hopefully the NFL takes some of this into consideration.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote