Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-30-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942
Default Road to the playoffs in the AFC NORTH

Before reading just assume that Steelers win out the rest of their division games (it'll make a little more sense)

Cincy's remaining schedule:
@ B-more
San Diego
@ New Orleans
@ Cleveland
B-more
Oakland
@Indy
@Denver
Pittsburgh

Breakdown: As sad as it might seem, (and I remember a troll picking fun because he said we would have to root for Cincy this week) the troll is right ... kind of. B-more and Cincy have to split wins Which would put Cincy's division record at 4-2. Cincy winning the division last year might just be a little blessing in disguise given that instead of playing Indy and NE, we got Miami and J-ville. I see two games on there that the Bungholes will/should win. And with road games against Indy, Denver, B-more, and New Orleans ... cincy will definitely have their hands full.

B-more's remaining schedule:
Cincy
@ Tennessee
Atlanta
Pittsburgh
@Cincy
@ Kansas City
Cleveland
@Pittsburgh
Buffalo

Breakdown: Three games on there that B-more will/should win. That means that they will need to go 5-4 from here on out, while splitting W's with Cincy (this is necessary for division winner tie breaker record). That puts B-more's division record at 3-3 or 4-2, but B-more HAS to get one win over Cincy.

This right here is really the only thing that matters. We don't have the luxury to pick and chose which games WE "need to win" ... every game for us is a need to win. One thing is for sure. We absolutely HAVE TO sweep the rest of our division. If that happens we might be able to afford one more loss. So the road ahead of us is like so: Win out in our division. Can really only afford one more more loss (and that CANNOT happen this week against Denver for division tie break/conference record).

It's do-able ... but not likely. going 8-1 from here on out is going to be near impossible with the way we are playing. The saddest thing is, I really do believe we have the most talent on BOTH sides of the ball between any team in our division.

So let's just say (gasp!) that the steelers continue on their downward spiral and miss the playoffs. What can we look at for next year that we need to adjust via draft or FA. Well, for one thing, I think it's time for Mr. Rooney to break out his damn pocketbook and go after a big name on the defensive side of the ball. specifically a LB (unless we have plans on taking one in the draft, and the way things are looking right now, Paul Poz isn't really THAT far out of reach. Not to mention all of the other good LB's available.) However, I think that going FA for LB, picking up a solid LB on day 1, we should be pretty good at LB.

Offensive line. let's assume that hartings is on his way out (which I think he needs to be). There are some darn good offensive lineman in this draft OTHER than Thomas. So hartings, or anyone on the right side.

Running back. It's obvious to any who really watches the games that Parker is just not the long term answer to this team, although I am very glad he is on it. The first round is going to be loaded with talent at the RB position and i think any player not gone in the top ten should be available to us.
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 03:46 PM   #2
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917
Default Re: Road to the playoffs in the AFC NORTH

Thanks, I was looking for a mathematical analysis like this. I really don't think the Steelers can even win 6 out of their next 9. What I think and what I want to happen are two different things, so let's hope the Steelers prove me wrong. Secondly, I don't care if LT is our runningback, he won't get yards behind our line if they continue to play this way. Willie Parker is a good runningback, I see so much talent in him. If our offensive line starts to play like they did in 04', Fast Willie could easily be a huge part of our offense.
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:19 PM   #3
4n2t0
Team Captain

Member Number: 1112

Here's some math...

5 Divisional Games Left = Good Luck! Nothing is impossible but many things are HIGHLY unlikely.
4n2t0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

It was also unlikely that a 6th seed would roll through the playoffs and win the Super Bowl. Wait, wait a minute...we did that last year. Which means we can do something else that is "unlikely".
I think it's definitely going to be harder than what it was last year but it can be done and we can do it!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:01 PM   #5
BigDuke6
Banned

Member Number: 2238

Great post !!! I've been looking for a silver lining, somewhere, anywhere. Yesterday I was so P'd-off and frustrated, it was all over for me. Your post proves its not over yet.
As far as draft and FA is concerned, lets wait until my Mother-in-Law, I mean the fat lady is finished with the microphone.
BigDuke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:06 PM   #6
dsk1975
Water Boy

Member Number: 3631

People seem to forget running backs like Barry Sanders, Tiki Barber, Warick Dunn etc.... They are small fast backs that are/were doing well in the NFL. The OL needs to step up and make even the littlest of holes for Willie. I really believe Willie could be a consistent 12-1400 yd 12-16 td back for 5-7 more seasons. But I will agree a bigger pounding back to help wear down the D would be a huge plus.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:08 PM   #7
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

IT'S NOT IMPOSSIBLE! Looking at the records, The Steelers can definantly win the divison winning out as stated, plus If Cincy goes 10-6 and we tie Baltimore at 11-5 we can also take the divison(Head-To-Head).

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:24 PM   #8
Cape Cod Steel Head
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 545

Its not mathematically impossible yet, but if anybody wants to put money on it PM me.
Cape Cod Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:27 PM   #9
Steelers
Starter

Member Number: 2373

"Should" means nothing to me. We should've clobbered the Raiders yesterday.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:13 PM   #10
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk1975 View Post
People seem to forget running backs like Barry Sanders, Tiki Barber, Warick Dunn etc.... They are small fast backs that are/were doing well in the NFL. The OL needs to step up and make even the littlest of holes for Willie. I really believe Willie could be a consistent 12-1400 yd 12-16 td back for 5-7 more seasons. But I will agree a bigger pounding back to help wear down the D would be a huge plus.
all three of those backs were also drafted on day 1 ... barber the only not in the first round (just barely ... like the 35th or 36th pick) ... Dunn was the 12th pick and sanders the 3rd ... not that this means anything except maybe that coming out of college all of the backs were taken high for their exceptional INTANGIBLES ... sure they all have moves and speed blah blah ... but the vision and awareness that you get from being a featured running back in college is probably a little more advantageous that sitting third on the depth chart at UNC ... pish ... anyways ... last thing i wanna say is will everyone PLEASE stop comparing willie to these "small" backs

Barry sanders- 5 foot 8 200 Lbs.
Warrick Dunn- 5 foot 9 180 Lbs.
Tiki Barber- 5 foot 9 200 Lbs.
WILLIE PARKER-5 foot 10 215 Lbs. ( i believe thats the weight hes playing at this year ... regardless ... no less than 210)

... so parker has about an inch-two inces and between 15-30 lbs on all these guys ... i think parker was probably an undrafted FA out of UNC for a reason ... not becasue he is some golden treasure god-send that is going to revolutionize the steelers ground game ... he NEEDS a compliment ... you tell me the last time a good defense went "whew ... that guy sure is pounding on us" ... ha
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote