Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-30-2006, 08:55 PM   #1
lex m
Water Boy

Member Number: 3118
Default What's with that ACCENT?

Like, I lived in Pittsburgh for a few years. What's with the accent? I know every city has its regional accents, and that's a great part of local color. But I've always been curious-- Is it a put-on? Can a real Pittsburgher NOT speak with an accent? Like, why wouldn't you just say the words correctly?

I remember all the locals saying "Burr" instead of beer. It's beer. Beeeeeer. Rhymes with near. You don't say "Nurr." So why do the locals say BURR? HASSS? It's House. Surely everyone in town knows this.
lex m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:41 PM   #2
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784
Default Re: What's with that ACCENT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex m View Post
Like, I lived in Pittsburgh for a few years. What's with the accent? I know every city has its regional accents, and that's a great part of local color. But I've always been curious-- Is it a put-on? Can a real Pittsburgher NOT speak with an accent? Like, why wouldn't you just say the words correctly?

I remember all the locals saying "Burr" instead of beer. It's beer. Beeeeeer. Rhymes with near. You don't say "Nurr." So why do the locals say BURR? HASSS? It's House. Surely everyone in town knows this.

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:50 PM   #3
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Like, are you for real???
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:04 PM   #4
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

Yer kiddin n'at right?
Old 10-30-2006, 10:33 PM   #5
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 3,279 Times in 1,290 Posts

Quote:

thats funny.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:37 PM   #6
stillers4me
Living Legend

Like, yinz guys think he's from California n'at?

Seriously, you have a Big Ben avatar so I don't to diss a Steeler fan, but do you really think a whole region of the country is faking an accent????. Hass IS the way we say house in western Pee-ay.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
Old 10-30-2006, 11:59 PM   #7
lex m
Water Boy

Member Number: 3118

I didn't say anyone was FAKING it; I lived there for YEARS, however, and never picked up a Pittsburgh accent. I was wondering why people don't just turn it on and off. Like, I get if you're around the fellas or tailgating or whatnot, but I had TEACHERS who had a Pittsburgh accent. ENGLISH TEACHERS. Like, SURELY they should know the proper way to pronounce words.

More what I'm asking is, don't Pittsburghers watch movies and TV shows or TV news, and notice that none of the actors or reporters pronounce the words like they do in The Burgh?

A while back, I showed some friends some of my old Date Night TV tapes, and they couldn't even UNDERSTAND what was being said. It was like a foreign language.
lex m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:52 AM   #8
stillers4me
Living Legend

Quote:
I didn't say anyone was FAKING it; I lived there for YEARS, however, and never picked up a Pittsburgh accent. I was wondering why people don't just turn it on and off. Like, I get if you're around the fellas or tailgating or whatnot, but I had TEACHERS who had a Pittsburgh accent. ENGLISH TEACHERS. Like, SURELY they should know the proper way to pronounce words.

More what I'm asking is, don't Pittsburghers watch movies and TV shows or TV news, and notice that none of the actors or reporters pronounce the words like they do in The Burgh?

A while back, I showed some friends some of my old Date Night TV tapes, and they couldn't even UNDERSTAND what was being said. It was like a foreign language.
Welcome to the 'Burgh.

Actually, I grew up about and hour and a half or so north of Pittsburgh and can attest to the fact that the accent extends up and down the whole of western Pennsylvania.......the thickest being in the city itself.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:03 AM   #9
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

Sadly, I've lived away from Pittsburgh for so long that I've lost alot of my accent. Though a few months ago, someone did ask me if I was from western PA after only a few sentences of conversation. It was a little freaky actually.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:09 AM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,099 Posts

have you never heard a texan drawl or new mexican twang? they have accents down south, in ny, boston, etc. its not just a pittsburgh thing.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote