Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-31-2006, 01:54 PM   #1
Stillers#1
Banned

Member Number: 1082
Default Mutumbo heckler banned

Quote:
Heckler banned for season after alleged racial slurESPN.com news services

The NBA and the Orlando Magic on Monday banned for the season the fan whose alleged racial slur incited Houston Rockets center Dikembe Mutombo at a preseason game last week.

Season-ticket holder Hooman Hamzehloui allegedly called Mutombo a "monkey" Thursday in the third quarter of the Rockets-Magic game. Mutombo yelled back at Hamzehloui and gestured from the court.

Hamzehloui was ejected from the game. The league said Hamzehloui is also barred from attending games at any NBA arena this season. Orlando said it will refund his season-ticket payment.

"I will not say that I am happy about it," Mutombo told Fox 26 in Houston. "It is out of my hands. I have done my job. I have forgiven him. Whatever the commissioner and the league does, that's not my area."

According to a report in the Orlando Sentinel, Hamzehloui sent the Rockets center a letter of apology. Hamzehloui was contacted late Sunday by the newspaper and said he didn't know "using the word 'monkey' was bad."

"I would like to take a moment of your time to offer a complete and unconditional apology for my poor behavior, and in particular, my poor choice of words last Thursday night while attending the Houston-Orlando basketball game," the letter reads.

"I am by no means a racist, and if you only knew me better you would never begin to have those thoughts. What I am guilty of is poor judgment in the use of words while doing what I do to many of the visiting team's players, 'heckle them.'"

Mutombo said after the game he would go into the stands next time even if he got fined for it.

NBA spokesman Tim Frank said no action was taken against Mutombo and the matter was closed.

Hamzehloui also wrote that he would not attend another Magic game until Mutombo gives the team his approval and that he would donate $5,000 to a charity of Mutombo's choice.

Hamzehloui also wrote that he wished to apologize in person.

"That meant a lot to me," Mutombo told Fox 26 of the apology letter, but added that Hamzehloui's offer to personally apologize was not necessary. "I don't need that."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
I can't say I disagree with the way they handled this. However, would the punishment be as swift if this was a black man calling a white player a ****** or cracker? I don't think it would. It has become socially acceptable to make racist comment towards white's. If the NBA is going to be serious about this, they need to crack down both ways.
Stillers#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:01 PM   #2
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: Mutumbo heckler banned

The guy was crazy to even do that in the first place.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:13 PM   #3
Stillers#1
Banned

Member Number: 1082

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
The guy was crazy to even do that in the first place.
I dunno, I have heard a lot worse, even at high school football games. I'm not sayin he is right, I agree with what the NBA did. I do think though, that had the situation been reversed, they would not have reacted in the same manner. This is kind of like the douchemanzedah "punk ass white boy" comment.
Stillers#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:20 PM   #4
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillers#1 View Post
I dunno, I have heard a lot worse, even at high school football games. I'm not sayin he is right, I agree with what the NBA did. I do think though, that had the situation been reversed, they would not have reacted in the same manner. This is kind of like the douchemanzedah "punk ass white boy" comment.
I aggree as well. The NBA made the right move. If he comes back in the 2007-2008 Season, and does like wise, he should be permanantly banned.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:30 PM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Guy deserved the banning.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:46 PM   #6
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

there is a double standard - like Paul Rodriguez said after the Kramer incident - "if you use the "N" word and you're not black, you're gonna have a lot of explaining to do.." - this is a bad slippery slope - I have heard worse than this at every professional sporting event I've been to - what are they going to do - just sift out the racial slurs that are offensive to African Americans?

"The Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ..the Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ...you wanna crown their a--, then crown'em..." Dennis Green - voted Best Damn Quote by Fox Sports and Sumo-2006
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:48 PM   #7
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Strange you brought that up Sumo. Maybe I should have posted this thread in here.....

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=12588
Old 11-21-2006, 03:53 PM   #8
steelfan 92
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2630

they should not let any racial slurs go. that's the problem. it should be unacceptable to slur any race, that is why racism will continue to exist. you have people good, bad, and indifferent of all races. comes down to judging a person based on how they treat you. i think the fan got what he deserved.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:56 PM   #9
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Strange you brought that up Sumo. Maybe I should have posted this thread in here.....

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=12588
Wow - I didn't have a chance to look at this thread yet - you make some excellent points - I also started a thread on Kramer, didn't ESPN fire Rush Limbaugh over something like this? I'm not a big fan of Rush - but what Rush said isn't as bad as what Irvin said to Dan Patrick...

"The Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ..the Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ...you wanna crown their a--, then crown'em..." Dennis Green - voted Best Damn Quote by Fox Sports and Sumo-2006
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:33 PM   #10
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo View Post
I'm not a big fan of Rush - but what Rush said isn't as bad as what Irvin said to Dan Patrick...
I remember that - Rush said that McNabb was overrated because "the NFL is desirous to have a black QB do well." Not nearly as bad as ALOT of things I've heard Barkley say on the NBA studio show on TNT on pretty much any given night it's on.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote