Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-01-2006, 05:05 AM   #1
SteelersWoman
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3077
Default PLEASE read the thread....

"Steelers start 2-5, The aftermath" that I posted at 3:13 AM. It's a VERY good (and quite interesting) article written in the Post Gazette that just may make a few people feel better--especially if you're havin any doubts at all about Big Ben
Old 11-01-2006, 06:38 AM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,221 Times in 2,863 Posts
Default Re: PLEASE read the thread....

I guess I did not catch the part of the P-G article where the similarities between Brady and Ben's post-Super Bowl seasons included Brady smashing into a windshield and then getting knocked out by what did not look like a particularly hard hit. Maybe if I had read those portions of the article it would make me feel better.

I have no clue what the lingering impacts from Ben's injuries will be, but Belichek playing Brady because he was having a rough season and Cowher playing Ben while Ben appears not to have been fully recovered from surgery (Jax) and a concussion (Oakland) are two different situations.

Ben harmed the team by riding without a helmet and Cowher has harmed the team by stubbornly insisiting that Ben play ASAP while a very competent back-up sits on the bench.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:04 AM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Ben harmed the team by riding without a helmet and Cowher has harmed the team by stubbornly insisiting that Ben play ASAP while a very competent back-up sits on the bench.
Dan - just curious here. When did Cowher ever insist that "Ben play ASAP"? I read just about every article out there on the Steelers whether on this board or a media source, and I've never read anything that even remotely resembles a comment like that coming from Cowher's mouth.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:13 AM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Dan - just curious here. When did Cowher ever insist that "Ben play ASAP"? I read just about every article out there on the Steelers whether on this board or a media source, and I've never read anything that even remotely resembles a comment like that coming from Cowher's mouth.
He had his appendix out on a Sunday and could not play against Miami that Thursday - having him play against Jax was as soon as possible because that was the next game.

Ben got knocked out of the Falcons game and played the next week; since there were no games between the Falcons and Oakland games that was as soon as possible.

It was literally impossible for Cowher to have given Ben any less time off after either the surgery or the concussion.

Coaches decide who plays - Cowher decided Ben was going to play both games. Let's just say those decisions have not gone well.

NM
Old 11-01-2006, 08:18 AM   #5
HometownGal
Living Legend

Quote:
He had his appendix out on a Sunday and could not play against Miami that Thursday - having him play against Jax was as soon as possible because that was the next game.

Ben got knocked out of the Falcons game and played the next week; since there were no games between the Falcons and Oakland games that was as soon as possible.

It was literally impossible for Cowher to have given Ben any less time off after either the surgery or the concussion.

Coaches decide who plays - Cowher decided Ben was going to play both games. Let's just say those decisions have not gone well.

NM
I will have to respectfully agree to disagree with your theory here and I'll leave it at that, though I do appreciate the explanation on your opinion.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 11-01-2006, 08:36 AM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

I terms of laying this on Cowher, I know one response is that Ben would not have played if Ben had said he could not go. Given the competitive nature of pro athletes in general and Ben in particualr, that was not going to happen.

As for the claim the doctors cleared Ben to play, there have been other lengthy threads on this board and an excellent article in ESPN The Magazine on the rich tradition of NFL doctors minimizing the consequences of concussions and signing off on players returning to the field ASAP.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:31 AM   #7
jblovein
Water Boy

Member Number: 1750

It's cool to see people be respectful of others thoughts..............

Coaches decide, players always want to play. With that said, the whole team has been horrible. How you gonna let Vick score all those points.......WE, the steelers D, let him have his best game ever!
jblovein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:12 PM   #8
HometownGal
Living Legend

Quote:
I terms of laying this on Cowher, I know one response is that Ben would not have played if Ben had said he could not go. Given the competitive nature of pro athletes in general and Ben in particualr, that was not going to happen.

As for the claim the doctors cleared Ben to play, there have been other lengthy threads on this board and an excellent article in ESPN The Magazine on the rich tradition of NFL doctors minimizing the consequences of concussions and signing off on players returning to the field ASAP.
I have read the numerous threads on this subject, Dan, as well as the ESPN article you are referring to and I still must come to the same conclusions. While there are most definitely some physicians out there who unfortunately don't give a damn, though I do have my own personal reasons for not being the president of Dr. Maroon's fan club, I just don't see him (or most other physicians) risking his license, his career or his reputation by clearing Ben to play unless he was without a doubt sure that Ben could play. As I've mentioned many times, doctors have the diagnostic tools to measure a patient's physical health, but are somewhat limited - even with verbal and written testing - to assuredly measure a patient's mental/emotional/cognitive health, especially on a subconscious level. The diagnostic, verbal and written tests all revealed that Ben was fine and had successfully recovered from his concussion, but neither Dr. Maroon or Cowher could see inside Ben's head to know if he is suffering from any mental/emotional or cognitive after-effects of his concussion or quite possibly, the accident in June.

You are correct that it is highly unlikely that Ben would tell the team or his coaches that he didn't feel 100% - that is a pride issue and I understand it all too well. There comes a time, however, when you just have to swallow that pride when you see (and feel) your level of function not where you are accustomed to seeing it and admit that you aren't "back to normal", as hard as it is to admit. I just don't see Bill Cowher putting any of his players in danger or worse, exposing himself or the Steelers to inclusion in liability issues. We won't always agree on every issue related to Bill Cowher, but I think we can all agree that he is a moral, ethical and honorable man.

The Anti-Wahoo