Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-02-2006, 08:44 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Plummer throws his support to Big Ben

Thursday, November 02, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Denver quarterback Jake Plummer, who has been in the middle of debates about whether to sit him or play him, said those who want to see Ben Roethlisberger benched make no sense.

"It's a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately kind of league," Plummer said yesterday. "The guy took them to the Super Bowl and won it last year. Now, he's had a little struggle, and they want to bench him."

A poll conducted on the Web site for WTAE-TV produced 65 percent of voters in favor of backup Charlie Batch over Roethlisberger. A post-gazette.com poll showed 54 percent in favor of Roethlisberger. Neither professed to be scientific.

""He's a great quarterback," Plummer said. "He can easily go quiet everybody, and in three weeks no one will be saying any of that. Keep his head, keep pushing and his teammates around him -- that's what you have to do if you're struggling."

Coach Bill Cowher said Tuesday he has no intention of changing quarterbacks. But Roethlisberger said if his coach wants Batch, he would support his decision.

"I want what's best for the team. If that's Charlie Batch being in there, then that's Charlie Batch being in there," Roethlisberger said. "I want what's best for this team to help it win.

"I'm not going to cry and complain about getting pulled. My job is to go out and play good football, so that there isn't even a decision to be made."

Roethlisberger, though, disputed his coach's words a day earlier that he was trying to do too much.

"Not really. You have confidence. You ask any quarterback out there. Charlie will laugh with me when I come off the field. He'll say, 'I can tell you're feeling it. You're making throws that normally, most people don't throw.'

"I felt that good against Kansas City and against Atlanta. You get into a rhythm and you feel good ...

"People forget that the last two years we were pretty good. Last year, we won a Super Bowl, I think. It worked out for us. The coaches call a good game plan that we put together and we do a good job of preparation all week. It's time for me to start transitioning that to Sunday."

Bad bounces

At 2-5, the Steelers are tied at the bottom of the AFC North Division and one victory above the teams with the worst record in the league.

"We didn't become a bad team overnight," Hines Ward said.

What, then, happened to put them on the bottom?

"It's just we're not getting the breaks we were getting last year. And that's the case for a lot of teams. A lot of teams are right there in it, but there's a play here or there that's at a crucial point and it seems like this year we're not coming up with those plays. The ball is not bouncing our way."

Kuhn is pumped up

John Kuhn, the latest running back from lower central Pennsylvania to make the roster, had the typical reaction for someone promoted from the practice squad after two seasons there.

"I'm ecstatic," Kuhn said.

Kuhn signed as an undrafted rookie from Shippensburg University in 2005 after he set 27 school records. The Steelers cut him before the season, then signed him Nov. 30 to their practice squad. He stayed there the rest of the season and received a Super Bowl ring.

He returned to training camp, but again was cut before the season. This time, though, they signed him to their practice squad right away with some words of advice.

"When they cut me at the end of camp, they just said be ready, stay in the playbook, keep your head up," Kuhn said. "You're one play away and that's basically what it ended up being."

Kuhn, a York native who played at Dover High School, follows former fullback Jon Witman, another native of York, and current fullback Dan Kreider, a native of Mount Joy in Lancaster County, as central Pennsylvanians on the Steelers in this century.

His value comes in his ability to play halfback, fullback, third-down back and on special teams.

"I'll do whatever they ask me to do," Kuhn said.

Quick hits

Linebacker Clark Haggans lost half of a sack yesterday when NFL statisticians gave it instead to end Aaron Smith. Haggans, who now had 1 1/2 official sacks in Oakland, still leads the team with 4 1/2. Smith has 1 1/2 sacks. ... Haggans (ankle) and nose tackle Casey Hampton (hamstring) practiced yesterday; each is listed as questionable . . . Kuhn will wear No. 42 and new linebacker Marquis Cooper will wear No. 95.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:37 AM   #2
BigDuke6
Banned

Member Number: 2238
Default Re: Plummer throws his support to Big Ben

I've always liked Plummer. Especially after the AFC Final last year when he took the blame for the Broncos loss squarely on his shoulders, as opposed to certain other AFC QBs who preferred to blame their upset loss on "protection issues".
BigDuke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
"It's a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately kind of league," Plummer said yesterday.
Wow - Jake and a couple of us around here think alike. How many times have I and others said those same words here?

I've always liked Jake, too, though he is as inconsistent as the day is long. When he's on, he'll burn you, but when he's off, he's out in lala land. Let's hope he has his ticket to lala land bought this Sunday.

Good to see one of Ben's peers telling it like it is.

Thanks for the good read, LLT.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:40 AM   #4
Btrice
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3145

Quote:
A poll conducted on the Web site for WTAE-TV produced 65 percent of voters in favor of backup Charlie Batch over Roethlisberger. A post-gazette.com poll showed 54 percent in favor of Roethlisberger. Neither professed to be scientific.
Those polls dont make any sense unless they ask the reason WHY those people want Batch in. Before last weeks game, around here we probably would have had a high % of people calling for Batch because of Ben's concussion, not because of bad play.

I'm not happy about his play last week at all, I think he played like he was in a fog, but benching him this week after not benching him last week would be idiotic. Now if he starts throwing more interceptions this week, ONLY THEN think about sitting him mid game.

I've never been a fan of Jake from a player standpoint, he is too inconsistent (though when he's on he's got a guided missle launching arm) but I've always thought him to be very intelligent and a good sportsman, so this article does not surprise me.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:45 AM   #5
Steelers
Starter

Member Number: 2373

I'm surprised he didn't just advise Ben to start flippin' the bird to the "fans."

<----------- Jake, lol.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:58 AM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers View Post
I'm surprised he didn't just advise Ben to start flippin' the bird to the "fans."

<----------- Jake, lol.
Jake and Gardocki are going to get together before the game and work on their bird flippin' techniques.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:20 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,504 Times in 3,739 Posts

In terms of the bizarro aspects of this season, reading that Plummer is telling people to lay off Ben, after their respective performances in the AFC Championship, sums up as well as anything how far the mighty have fallen.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:07 PM   #8
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

BIG BEN WILL BE FINE... FORGET THE BENCHING AND BATCH... LETS PLAY BALL.. DOES EVERYONE REALLY THINK THAT ALL THE STEELERS PROBLEMS ARE BECAUSE OF BENS MISTAKES? IF YOU THINK THAT THEN MAYBE YOU PEOPLE CAN SHOW ME THAT FACT!! PARKERS FUMBLES.. HAYNES FUMBLES... HOLMES FUMBLIN' EVERY OTHER PUNT RETURN, HOW MANY DID HE FUMBLE AGAINST THE CHIEFS THAT WE WERE JUST LUCKY TO RECOVER AND NOT LOSE? OUR O LINE COULDNT BLOCK ME AT TIMES, SO I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY BEN HASNT GOT TIME TO GET THE PASS AWAY. GIVE BEN A BREAK AND GET THE DAMN O LINE TO BLOCK SOMEONE FOR A CHANGE!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Elvis; 11-02-2006 at 05:15 PM. Reason: SORRY...JUST TIRED OF PEOPLE DITCHIN ON OUR GREAT QB!!
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:10 PM   #9
PirateSteeler
Banned

Member Number: 3364

ugh, Jake the Mistake is not who we want our QB being paralleled to... I don't like the fact that a mediocre at best QB is relating to our QB.
PirateSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:49 PM   #10
Btrice
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3145

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateSteeler View Post
ugh, Jake the Mistake is not who we want our QB being paralleled to... I don't like the fact that a mediocre at best QB is relating to our QB.
Um, I didn't read anything in that column comparing Jake to Ben, the closest thing is the comparison between the calls for benching the two.