Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-21-2005, 11:47 PM   #1
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86
Default Owens: 'I don't really have to play for the Eagles'

An Eagle could be taking flight.

As a war of words between Eagles president Joe Banner and Terrell Owens heats up, T.O. told CSS SportsNite in Atlanta on Thursday that he is willing to leave Philly if the team won't redo his contract, which still has six years remaining on a $49 million deal.

"It doesn't bother me," Owens said about Banner's comments. "When it all boils down to it, I'm doing what's best for my family. Not to stir anything up, but I don't really have to play for the Eagles, to be honest. I can go play with any other team and still be productive.

"If [Banner] feels that way, then get rid of me," he continued. "I have no gripes, no ill feelings toward any of the players on that team. This is business. They know how business is conducted. I've told them what I'm doing is for my family. If they can't understand that -- and if they feel like I'm a no-nonsense guy -- he wants to talk about Drew and I -- if we're problems then I feel like we can be adults about it. Trade me. Release me, and we can part ways like adults."

Owens has a specific idea of where he'd like to be traded.

"If Joe Banner can give Drew Rosenhaus permission to seek a trade," he told SportsNite, "who knows, Atlanta might be on the list of people that I could play for."

Owens' comments came after Banner criticized the receiver and agent Drew Rosenhaus in the Philadelphia Daily News.

"If we were dealing with somebody who was looking at this logically and was going to come to a common-sense conclusion, you'd say [he'll report to camp on time]," Banner told the Daily News. "But you're dealing with two people here who, frankly, don't think in common-sense terms. Anything can happen. They're not going to necessarily do what makes sense."

Rosenhaus told The Associated Press on Wednesday that the odds of Owens reporting to training camp on time are "50-50." Owens himself told CSS SportsNite on Thursday that, despite the possible fines, he likely won't attend camp. The Daily News, citing a source in the NFL players' association with knowledge of Owens' contract, reported that the Eagles could fine T.O. five-sixths of the $2.25 million signing bonus Owens received after being traded last year, meaning Owens could be out $1.87 million.

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2113696
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 12:53 AM   #2
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109
Default Re: Owens: 'I don't really have to play for the Eagles'

Want to be the man and appreciated, fine. Never tell me you can't take care of your family on $49 million. Another reason I hate TO the man, but like him as the player.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:09 AM   #3
Prosdo
Banned

The thing that bothers me about TO is in my opinion he makes a load of money between his salary and endorsements. As you said ICC how is that not enough to support your family? I'm curious about that one. I don't know exactly how much he wants, but $49 million is exactly chump change so what's the problem.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:44 AM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

I am hoping that T.O. does test the waters of free agency - and gets TOTALLY blown out by every other NFL team. As much as the Eagles are a huge rival - I am with them 100% (as I suppose are alot of NFL fans across the country) in their fight against this megalomaniac.

In another thread I said that most players are not from this planet - T.O. takes the biscuit with his crazy talk comparing himself with Jesus and saying " i'm doing it for my family "

Anyone see him after the SB last year? Anyone would think he had just single handedly won the game for the Eagles - the guy is delusional.

ITS PIG-SKIN BABY!

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 03:54 AM   #5
Prosdo
Banned

I agree Living. This guy thinks the Eagles cannot function without him. Yes the Eagles will definitely take a hit but they won't fall apart because TO left. I actually think it would do them good. He is too full of himself and thinks the Eagles entire future rides on him alone.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:33 AM   #6
bengalsfan21
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 420

He is right though he doesn't have to play for the eagles there are teams out there that will pay him more...Atlanta I don't know he might not be able to do it bc he won't be #1 regardless of who plays for them vick will be #1....But he will get paid either way it goes.
bengalsfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 12:36 PM   #7
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcitychef
Want to be the man and appreciated, fine. Never tell me you can't take care of your family on $49 million. Another reason I hate TO the man, but like him as the player.
I couldn't agree more Iron...it is disgusting to say that $49 million dollars is not enough to raise a family. I myself am doing fine as a single mother raising my son and don't even come close to six figures. As a player he is amazing and someone will pay him, but just last year he said how much he wanted to be an Eagle and in just a year...he's not satisfied.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:39 PM   #8
bengalsfan21
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbensgirl7
I couldn't agree more Iron...it is disgusting to say that $49 million dollars is not enough to raise a family. I myself am doing fine as a single mother raising my son and don't even come close to six digits. As a player he is amazing and someone will pay him, but just last year he said how much he wanted to be an Eagle and in just a year...he's not satisfied.
You guys have to think too us 49 million is plenty to live on for life, but to these guys it is a salary that they have gotten used to, they build a life style around what they make....His life style needs to be lived, also it is more his agent, if you remember Drew didn't get TO until after he signed there fore he didn't get his 3% of the deal....He won't be happy until he gets his 3%.
bengalsfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 12:58 PM   #9
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 292

I understand when you make that kind of money...your life style changes and it takes more to live that kind of life. However, $49 million is more than most of us will ever see in our life and there can be some adjustments there.
My mom does VERY well for herself and we have lived a good life and we don't have half of that. And yes, we don't get everything want, but I think that teaches people the value of a dollar-and as a mother I would want my son to grow up and understand that even if he wsa to make it big one day!
Old 07-22-2005, 01:02 PM   #10
pitt
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 474

If I was the Eagles I'd say "good riddens" "Don't let the door hit you in the a** on the way out".
pitt is offline   Reply With Quote