Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Blast Furnace

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-22-2005, 10:34 AM   #11
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 292
Default Re: Big Ben is da man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
I think you will find that a bit of arrogance is a pre-requisite for a professional sportsman - everyone (including fans) is looking for a chance to lay a bit of smack on em, and they need the self belief to go out and perform week in week out.

Its becoming amusing now looking at these debates about who is the best QB when they have a combined 2 seasons playing time between them.

Both are talented - both have got a lot left to prove.

ITS PIG-SKIN BABY!

NM
I actually couldn't agree more. I can definately understand where BB2W is coming from, considering we live in Dayton, OH and are surrounded by Bengals and Browns fans. They can really get under your skin at times. I still really wish the debates would end, at least until the season starts! And really we won't know who has a more sucessful career for years to come! BB2W did do a great job and brought up something that I have not seen any other posters in any boards bring up, so at least something new was brought to the table...GOOD JOB BB2W.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:10 AM   #12
bengalsfan21
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbensgirl7
I actually couldn't agree more. I can definately understand where BB2W is coming from, considering we live in Dayton, OH and are surrounded by Bengals and Browns fans. They can really get under your skin at times. I still really wish the debates would end, at least until the season starts! And really we won't know who has a more sucessful career for years to come! BB2W did do a great job and brought up something that I have not seen any other posters in any boards bring up, so at least something new was brought to the table...GOOD JOB BB2W.
I didn't even know there was still Browns fans.... :D
bengalsfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 05:12 PM   #13
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalsfan21
As a homer I have to say Palmer will kill in stats this year....And well thats it, O wait you guys just wish you had CJ too throw to.

Stats, stats , stats. . Stats aint shit. How about this stat. wins 15-1. Led us to the AFC championship game. Yes led! Do we have a great running game. Yes , you bet your ass we do. Does this help Ben , damn staight. Do we have a great O line , Damn staight we do. Does this help ben, Of course it does. We have damn good receivers too, and they help ben win.
Does are defense kick ass. Damn straight it does. It also helps win games.

All I every here out of you Cinci fans is " Ben didn`t win those games, it was the running and the defense" You pretenders need to stay home! You guys would give your left nut, if you had one, to win 15 games and go to the AFC championship game.

Recent Superbowl winners. Pats last three of four. Good passing game great defense. The Ravens a few years back, no qb, and great d, and great running game. I`ll take that anyday.

Will Ben beat the Bungholes all by himself? Not everytime, sometimes he will, sometimes our defense will stove your asses in the ground, sometimes will run the ball down your throats, but we win, and will continue to win. With a 15 year drought since your last playoff game, you guys are starting to see a mirage " Oh look its a playoff game and the Bungles are in it" Ooops NO not really its just a mirage, its the Steelers and Pats, my bad.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:40 PM   #14
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Ben was more efficient than Palmer last season.

However, Carson Palmer has raw talent...if he can cut down on his mistakes and bad decisions, then he will be fine. For this reason I think Palmer will have a better career than Roethlisberger when it's all said and done.

Palmer really broke through during the ravens game last year when he basically put up 21 points on them in the fourth quarter. After that game he really started playing more comfortably and with more poise.

He has no reason not to throw for 3,500+ yards and 30 TD's next season barring injury with the guys surrounding him on offense. The key will be cutting down on those bad decisions and forced throws leading to interceptions. I think he will be OK in that department, also. Reason being? During the second half of the season he actually started to realize that he had more than one receiver who could make plays, hence the second half surge of TJ Houshmandzadeh. In the first half of the season he would force a lot of throws to Chad whenever he got in trouble, later in the season he started spreading the ball out more to the other receivers.

Now with Peter Warrick healthy in the slot and the rookie Chris Henry as the 4th receiver and additional deep ball threat, Carson has all the tools, he just needs to make better decisions. Oh yeah, a healthy Chris Perry helps too...he's a great pass catching back for third downs.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 08:15 AM   #15
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

But it's not just about the QBs like has been said before. You guys have a good offense but no D and it was proven many times last year. The Steelers pride themselves on their D (usually one of the best in the league year after year) and notice in the past 4 yrs. we have missed the playoffs once when we took a different approach on offense. Look at Brady, he is a great QB, and is surrounded by talent on offense, but the big key is he has a good D too and that is why they win Championships!!!

Last edited by bigbensgirl7; 07-23-2005 at 08:20 AM.
bigbensgirl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 11:35 AM   #16
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

No, it's not just about QB's...but I thought that this thread was.

You don't absolutely need a superstar QB, but you do need an efficient one. Very rarely can a defense carry a team by itself...just ask the ravens. If the ravens had anything that resembled a QB behind the line of scrimmage, then they would be a consistent super bowl contender.

The Bengals have a young defense right now. This year they will be starting 2 rookies and 2 second year players on defense, not to mention a 2nd year cornerback in Keiwan Ratliff and 2nd year linebackers in Landon Johnson and Caleb Miller coming off the bench. They really have only 4 veteran players on defense...Kim Herring, Brian Simmons, Tory James, and Bryan Robinson.

Last year Cincinnati was ranked 17th overall in total yards allowed per game, 26th in rushing yards allowed per game, 12th in passing yards allowed per game. The year before they were ranked 28th in total yards allowed per game. The defense has upgraded since last season and become a little more experienced overall, so there's no reason they shouldn't take another step forward.

But, I'll give you the biggest reason why the defense will be improved this season....Chuck Bresnahan, the new defensive coordinator. Leslie Frazier as a defensive coordinator was laughable at best. During one game in the season Marvin Lewis had to take over and start calling defensive plays because the defense was doing so horrible. Then, the defense magically started making stops! Imagine that.

In my opinion, the coaches make the biggest difference on defenses, not the players. You don't believe me? Look at the patriots. They lost basically their entire secondary and even had a wide receiver playing cornerback. Did they miss a beat? No. Why? Because of Romeo Crennel and Bill Belichick's coaching abilities.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 12:00 PM   #17
Go_Cats
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 418

Quote:
To me, I dont see how we can get on your nerves atleast we're not bandwagon Steeler or Patriot fans
Old 07-23-2005, 12:11 PM   #18
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBen2Ward
The only reason for this thread is I was wearing my "Got Ben?" shirt to school taday. I live in Dayton, so I was getting bashed by Bengal and Browns fans. They are really bitter towards Ben, and the Steelers.

Dude, that shirt is freekin schweet! I love it !
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 12:14 PM   #19
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Cats
To me, I dont see how we can get on your nerves atleast we're not bandwagon Steeler or Patriot fans
It gets on my nerves because I live in Dayton OH and EVERY year (yes even in the 90s) I hear the crap from the Bengals fans in the offseason. Then slowly (with the exception of the past 2 yrs.) I can hardly find a Bengal fan anywhere when the season gets underway and reality hits! Oh yah, how come in Dayton (1 hour tops from Cinci) there were never any Bengal things in any stores around here (again exception of past 2 yrs.) It was ALL Steelers and Browns stuff. Not to mention, you guys talk your crap every year, but never used to sell out your games (I think it was 2 yrs. or 3 yrs. ago when you guys were supposed to be so improved...you didn't even sell out your HOME OPENER) So lets talk about Bandwagoners...for the most part the Steelers have some of the most devoted fans in the NFL...hell it shows even at away games...we have fans every where and we stick by them no matter what!
Now on the positive note, this is not referring to all of you by any means...but you have to admit, all of a sudden there are a bunch of so-called Bengals fans coming out of the wood work. I have met some great devoted fans of the Bengals (esp. at the lair) that seem to be completely devoted to the team through everything (and that includes you). And all those people have the right to be excited and proud of the improvements and recent accomplishments. I just can't stand people that talk their crap, but then hide when things don't go as expected!
Old 07-23-2005, 12:43 PM   #20
Go_Cats
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 418

Quote:
It gets on my nerves because I live in Dayton OH and EVERY year (yes even in the 90s) I hear the crap from the Bengals fans in the offseason. Then slowly (with the exception of the past 2 yrs.) I can hardly find a Bengal fan anywhere when the season gets underway and reality hits! Oh yah, how come in Dayton (1 hour tops from Cinci) there were never any Bengal things in any stores around here (again exception of past 2 yrs.) It was ALL Steelers and Browns stuff. Not to mention, you guys talk your crap every year, but never used to sell out your games (I think it was 2 yrs. or 3 yrs. ago when you guys were supposed to be so improved...you didn't even sell out your HOME OPENER) So lets talk about Bandwagoners...for the most part the Steelers have some of the most devoted fans in the NFL...hell it shows even at away games...we have fans every where and we stick by them no matter what!
Now on the positive note, this is not referring to all of you by any means...but you have to admit, all of a sudden there are a bunch of so-called Bengals fans coming out of the wood work. I have met some great devoted fans of the Bengals (esp. at the lair) that seem to be completely devoted to the team through everything (and that includes you). And all those people have the right to be excited and proud of the improvements and recent accomplishments. I just can't stand people that talk their crap, but then hide when things don't go as expected!
I agree, but its easy for you guys to be devoted when you are one of the most winningest franchises in the league. You guys havent had to face a 10 year playoff drought and being considered the laughing stock of the NFL. I realize you guys have had alot of disappointments yourselves though, probably even more than us, becuase we havent had high expectations for our team in a while. I thought our attendence has been pretty good ever since we got Paul Brown stadium, considering how bad we have played in recent years, alot of our most loyal fans gave up. It also hurts that we're never on nationalized television, people like myself who don't live in ohio have trouble watching the games.