Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-02-2006, 09:53 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Ocho Asso = $5K

Chad Johnson to cough up $5K for 'Ocho Cinco' stunt
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

He lost his golden mohawk and now, unless Chad Johnson prevails on appeal, the colorful Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver is going to lose some pesos as well.

The league has fined Johnson $5,000 for wearing "Ocho Cinco" on a Velcro nameplate across the back of his uniform jersey before last Sunday's loss to the Atlanta Falcons. "Ocho Cinco," signifying his uniform No. 85, is the name by which Johnson said he wanted to be called the day leading up to the game.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen first reported Monday evening that the league planned to fine Johnson.

Johnson wore the faux nameplate over his real surname on the uniform for pre-game warmups, and it was conspicuous when he met with Falcons cornerback DeAngelo Hall, against whom he vowed to score two touchdowns, in practice. Just before kickoff, quarterback Carson Palmer ripped off "Ocho Cinco" nameplate, revealing "C. Johnson" on the back of the receiver's jersey.

It's expected that Johnson, who has been fined repeatedly in past seasons for his end zone choreography, will appeal the league's action.

The sixth-year veteran appeared at Wednesday's practice minus the mohawk he has been sporting since training camp. Johnson said last week that he would shave his head if he didn't score at least two touchdowns against the Falcons. He scored only once.

Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2647613
Old 11-02-2006, 09:57 PM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: Ocho Asso = $5K

What was the point?? What an idiot.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:01 PM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

You have to admit, it was cute watching Carson get up behind Chad (nothing new there I'm sure) and rip off his little name tag. It's cute how those two play with each other.....

5 MORE AND YOUR TIED. UNTIL THEN....

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 11-02-2006 at 10:11 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:05 PM   #4
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

I wish I had $5000 to waste.

The league is making a killing this year.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:09 AM   #5
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

You know I don't like CJ but I think the NFL is getting a little stiff collared on the players. Why can't they have a little fun at their job? I mean how many of us go to work and joke and laugh with the things we do.

To tell you the truth if I was making his kind of greenback, I'd be having a heck of a lot more fun too!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:48 AM   #6
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648
Thumbs down Re: Ocho Asso = $5K

Chad Johnson=Attention *****

That is all....

Old 11-03-2006, 12:36 PM   #7
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
You know I don't like CJ but I think the NFL is getting a little stiff collared on the players. Why can't they have a little fun at their job? I mean how many of us go to work and joke and laugh with the things we do.

To tell you the truth if I was making his kind of greenback, I'd be having a heck of a lot more fun too!
That's what i was thinking. Honestly. Who did he hurt with this? Did he break any uniform rules? The league is pretty ridiculous at times.
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:51 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts

Probably becuase the Steelers season is shot, I actually am beginning to find 85 amusing - Ocho Cinco seemed harmless to me and the threat to punch out Ray Lewis is so ludicrous even Lewis could not keep from laughing about it. In addition, Johnson shaved the Mohawk after losing a bet to D'Aneglo Hall as to who would win the Falcons game, so he does appear to be a man of his word.

As for the fine, it is the same as the celebration rule. Zero tolerance on uni modifications prevents players from pushing the envelope. It is carzy that Peyton Manning could not wear high tops to honor the death of Unitas and that Plummer could not honor Pat Tillamn, but the league snuffed that too. At least they cannot be accused of discrimination.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:02 PM   #9
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

No
Fun
League

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:22 PM   #10
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

And in other idiot WR news:

T.O. blames disorder for mid-meeting nap

FOXSports.com

Apparently, you can add narcolepsy -- or something comparable -- to the long list of T.O.-related distractions in Dallas.

According to a report in the Dallas Morning News, Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens is blaming an undiagnosed sleeping disorder for his inability to stay awake during team meetings.
Owens spoke with the newspaper after the most recent incident Thursday.

"I don't know what it is," Owens said after Thursday's practice. "I've never been diagnosed with it. It's nothing new for me to fall asleep in a meeting. It goes back to my rookie year in San Francisco. My receivers coach (George Stewart) knew I would fall asleep. He thought I was staying up late, and sometimes I did. When I did get to bed early, I would still get to meetings and fall asleep, and it's the same thing here."

Owens reportedly told the team about the sleeping problem before he signed with the team during the off-season.

"Those are personal health issues, and we all have them in varying ways," Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said. "I don't say that as though it's something that's irritating at all."

Jones might want to check with passing game coordinator Todd Haley on that.

"Todd is a big stickler, and he kind of got offended," Owens said. "That's one of his pet peeves about not sleeping in a meeting. I talked to him one-on-one and said, 'I'm not trying to fall asleep. I've always been like that.' "

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6135704?FSO1&ATT=HMA