Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 11-03-2006, 08:00 AM   #1
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Colts vs Patriots - Your Thoughts

Steeler fans,

What are your thoughts on this key week 9 match up in the race for No.1 AFC seeding?

Rather than a match up of equally strong units in a battle for supremacy, it looks like it could be a case of which teams takes advantage of potential mismatches.

Peyton vs New England Secondary

Peyton is having yet another excellent regular season, capped by what many pundits think was his best ever performance last week against the previously dominant Bronco's D.

Last year, Peyton et al absolutely took the Patriots DB's to the cleaners - both Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne put up over 120 yards and the Colts scored 4 TD's on their 1st 5 possessions.

This year the Patriots DB's are alot more settled, and having a healthy Rodney Harrison back there raises the performance levels of those around him.

Maybe, just maybe, the genie is out of the bottle as far as Mannings troubles vs the Patriots goes - maybe that one game will prove to be a watershed and Manning can perform against New England as he does against most other teams.

Dillon, Maroney vs Colts Run D

The Colts rank flat last against the run this year, badly missing the presense of wide body Corey Simon on the D-line.

Teams have run at will against this defense - Jax put 177 yards on them, Tennessee put 171 on them, the Giants run for 160+.

The Patriots currently rank No.8 in rushing offense, the numbers dropping off after New England decided to go with Brady and 43 passing attempts on MNF against the Vikes.

Dillon has been allowed to stay fresh by averaging only 12 carries per game so far but has already looked more effective than last year and he averages just under 4ypc.

Maroney has brought real dynamic playmaking ability to the New England backfield - its been a while since the Patriots had a guy capable of taking it all the way on a regular basis.

As is typical the rookie has struggled against good run D's, but I expect the New England line to do an increasingly good job of opening lanes for him as the season progresses.

Conclusion

I happen to believe that a team that can consistently run the ball on their opponents becomes a fairly large favorite.

Not only are they moving the ball, but they are doing it in a clock consuming way - Manning has a history of trying to do too much when he feels under presure from the TOP match up.

The Colts havent been beaten up too badly in pass defense this year, but I figure that to be mostly down to teams not needing to actually go to the air to move the rock.

David Carr and Texans did chew them up to the tune of 219 yards and 3 TD's, when they becamse one of the few teams unable to move the ball in a dominating fashion against the Colts run D (they still racked up over 100 yards though).

Home field advantage at Foxboro shouldn't be discounted, especially as we move closer to the latter half of the season.

Manning is going to have to win this one through the air, the Colts run game is improving but still ranks only 17th - they wont be allowed to run on the leagues 3rd best run D.

The Patriots have shown the ability to win games on the ground and now through the air - the Colts dont have enough on D to stop them consistently.

Prediction

The Patriots should win this one by a TD or more.

Manning will pass for a boat load of yards but wont find the endzone as much as he needs to.

The Patriots will mix it up on offense (this isn't the Vikes rush D) and will use the Colts run D against them to take large chunks off the game clock when they are leading.

Final score.

Patriots 27 Colts 14

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.

Last edited by Livinginthe past; 11-03-2006 at 08:05 AM.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:13 AM   #2
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: Colts vs Patriots - Your Thoughts

Unfortunately, I believe the Patriots will once again prove that Peyton Manning has difficulty when under pressure. I believe Belichick will do what he does best - GAME PLAN!

Side Note: Do you think Cleveland kicks themselves in the arse every time they hear Bill's name?

I digress, Bill, for the most part, does a great job of preparing his team to play. Especially in big games. I think Manning will be confused (once again) and the Pats will win it probably 31-17.

HOWEVER, there is a chance that Peyton has finally learned the error of his ways with the Pats. As I've seen, it's difficult to get the long ball on them but they do (at least in the games that I've really paid attention to) give up the under routes. The little short yard dinks that can turn into long gains and eventually 7 points.

But I personally think that Manning would rather have those quick strikes against a team that has consistently beaten him down! That will be his downfall once again!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

I think it will be the patsy with the win as well. Peyton Manning has struggled in big games since college. Yes he did beat the pats last year but i think laurence moroney was a huge pick up for the pats and the colts loss of edge will hurt the colts chances this year
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:27 AM   #4
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

This should be a close game....decided by 10 points or less...but even with Peyton putting up big #'s, I have to give the edge to the Pats.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:07 PM   #5
Hines0wnz
Living Legend

Member Number: 3085

Colts win by.......

an Adam V. FG. Doh!
Old 11-03-2006, 12:21 PM   #6
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Well I think its simple the Colts cant stop the run so bound the rock with Dillon/Maroney. That way it keeps Peyton Manning off the field. But Peyton Manning's daddy is Bill Belichick. So even with the likes of Chad Scott at corner. I'm sure Little Bill will have something cooked up to confuse Manning like always. I say 27-17 Pats.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:48 PM   #7
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32 View Post
Well I think its simple the Colts cant stop the run so bound the rock with Dillon/Maroney. That way it keeps Peyton Manning off the field. But Peyton Manning's daddy is Bill Belichick. So even with the likes of Chad Scott at corner. I'm sure Little Bill will have something cooked up to confuse Manning like always. I say 27-17 Pats.
Exactly!!
Run the hell out of Maroney and Dillon and try and play keep away from "Pumpkin Head".

The Patriots still have Chad Scott???? OMG!!
I would think Manning will be licking his chops anytime he sees him on the field.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:53 PM   #8
LarryNJ
Starter

Member Number: 2857

The Pats will run the ball effectivly, as long as they can end those time consuming drives with a TD and not a FG they will win. I think it will be a high scoring game. 35-24 Pats.
LarryNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:11 PM   #9
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

I was gonna say something smartassed, but then I figured what the hell why not!

Who cares? Is it possible for both teams to lose?

/me prays for a TKO. :P

On a more serious note...

I too think the Dolts are going down at the hands of the Patsies. I'll take Brady over Manning anyday.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:18 PM   #10
PAMillerGrrl83
Starter

Member Number: 3274

I'm gonna hope the Colts win. My fiance` and his entire family is from Indy but Id really like to see Manning and the Colts win.

~*Heath Miller: Honakers Finest*~
PAMillerGrrl83 is offline   Reply With Quote