Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 11-06-2006, 07:32 AM   #11
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604
Default Re: Colts 27 Patriots 20

13 rushes a piece for both Dillon and Maroney for a combined total of a little more than a 100yds.

WTF????

Something tells me if the Pats get one or both of those guys 20+ touches running the ball against the Colts there could have been a different outcome.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:00 AM   #12
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Member Number: 992

the Colts still need to do it in a championship Game. But for right now, the Colts and Broncos are the best teams ive seen with the Bears #3 then

4. Patriots
5. Ravens
6. Chargers
7. Giants
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:25 AM   #13
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 to be 4 View Post
the Colts still need to do it in a championship Game. But for right now, the Colts and Broncos are the best teams ive seen with the Bears #3 then

4. Patriots
5. Ravens
6. Chargers
7. Giants
You're pretty generous having the Bears at #3.
Chicago got exposed yesterday against the Phins which pretty much confirms that the bad game they had against Arizona wasn't a fluke.

I'd put the Bears at #7 and move every other team up one spot.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 01:16 PM   #14
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Colts now win home field tiebreakers over Denver and the Pats, so Indy probably has home field advantage in the playoffs.

The Steelers beat them last January and they still are soft against the run, but that is a team built for the dome in which they probably will be playing in January. Pats and Chargers can give them a game; Denver will lose by at least 10 points in Indy.

With Chicago having issues these days the Colts look like the class of the league at the halfway point.

As for the NFC, who knows? If the Giants beat the Bears next Sunday night they may be the team to beat in the NFC (and might even get home field) and I can begin to dread the media hype surrounding an Eli-Peyton Super Bowl match up fueled by the New York media.
I think you are right regarding the potential match ups - the Colts are built for dome football and the Bronco's would probably be exposed in that type of arena.

However, any team that can play with a lead of 7 points of more will be able to commit to the run and have the Colts watch in vain as the clock runs out while they try and stop it - Indy were never behind against New England - thats when Manning tries to force things - just like Brady did last night.

The Colts ALWAYS seem to look the class of the NFL at the half way point.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 01:20 PM   #15
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambridge View Post
13 rushes a piece for both Dillon and Maroney for a combined total of a little more than a 100yds.

WTF????

Something tells me if the Pats get one or both of those guys 20+ touches running the ball against the Colts there could have been a different outcome.
I had a hard time understanding why the coaches went away from the running game and into the spread formation they showed against the Vikes who were 100 times better at stopping the run.

Was it a double bluff? trying to win mind games ahead of a potential playoff match up?

Who knows, by us losing that one Manning gains a little more confidence and gets a little closer to HFA throughout that posseason.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:32 AM   #16
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,830 Times in 3,705 Posts

good read courtesy peter king

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...mqb/index.html

The eight points I learned about 8-0 Indianapolis and the fumbling Patriots on Sunday night:

1. The Patriots are continuing an annoying little habit of playing lousy when the lights are brightest. They're 1-3 in biggies in the last 12 months. A year ago they stunk it up in a 40-21 loss to Indy at home. They beat Jacksonville 28-3 in a wild-card game at home, not a surprising accomplishment against a team with a gimpy quarterback on a frigid night. Then they stunk it up again in the 27-13 divisional playoff loss at Denver. And on Sunday night, with the Colts again in their house trying to remain the only unbeaten team in football, the Patriots committed five turnovers, missed a chippy field goal and let Indy's receivers run like Colts in a meadow. I know three of Tom Brady's interceptions were tipped, but the Patriots were still too careless with the ball. That Corey Dillon fumble was a fumble, by the way, so no carping on that one.

2. Peyton Manning looks like he's ready to win the big one to me. I'm not saying the Colts will necessarily. Turnovers are funny things, and I could see New England winning a game in the RCA Dome in January, even a game in which Manning plays well. But I would like to put that annoying he-can't-win-the-big-one story to bed. A quarterback just can't play better than Manning's playing.

My favorite Manning play from Sunday night: New England was desperately trying to keep the Colts within seven late in the fourth quarter so the Pats could have one more shot at tying the game. On second-and-8 from the New England 46, Manning took a short drop and looked for tight end Ben Utecht up the right seam. Just as he threw, he was sandwiched by two Patriot rushers, and he managed to fling his arm forward. The ball fluttered out toward Utecht. He dove for it, caught it and made a first down. Gain of 13. That was Manning's ugliest completion of the night. It was also his prettiest.

3. John Madden was absolutely right midway through the second half when he wondered, incredulously, why the Patriots were running all this trick horsecrap instead of just pounding away at a bad run defense. New England ran it well -- 33 times for 148 yards -- and maybe it wasn't as good as they thought at 4.5 yards a clip, but it was still plenty good to keep the chains moving.

4. Sometimes Bill Belichick outsmarts himself. Very rarely, but this was one of the nights.

5. If Indianapolis free safety Bob Sanders is still hurt, then he's going to be Ronnie Lott when healthy. He was a big factor in an improved run defense, and he gave the Colts a hammer in the secondary that they'd been missing. Eleven tackles, an interception, a pass deflection. Not bad for a guy who hadn't played in seven weeks.

6. The Patriots aren't the same team without Rodney Harrison. They lost him three plays into the game with what appeared to be a right shoulder or arm injury, and there went the physical game they knew they had to play in the secondary. I guarantee you this: If Harrison had played four quarters, you wouldn't have seen the Colts running unencumbered through the secondary like that. That was part of New England's plan -- have Harrison nail everything that moved back there. Chad Scott's just not anywhere near the physical presence Harrison is.

7. Marvin Harrison was supposed to be a nonfactor in this game, but he played at a Jerry Rice level. Which, by the way, will be a good comparison when he retires. Harrison's 21 catches from becoming the fourth receiver to catch 1,000 balls in his career, and he'll pass both Tim Brown and Cris Carter in 2007, if he remains injury-free. When Rodney Harrison went out, up stepped Marvin Harrison, with 145 yards worth of impact. And his one-armed, balancing-act catch in the end zone ... That one had better be shown in Canton in August 2019, when he's enshrined.

8. This is the best matchup in football today. Only the Red Sox and Yankees, for sheer drama, match it. When the Colts and Patriots play, all I can think of is one of those Red Sox-Yankees playoff games from 2003 or 2004. You can't turn away from a single play. I'm praying we see a replay on Jan. 21, even if it has to be in the hermetically sealed confines of the RCA Dome.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote