Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 11-06-2006, 09:05 PM   #1
steelcity58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3251
Default Ben's mistakes are so simple

Ben is trying to do too much.

He's a kid...he felt he let his team-mates down by almost killing himself this past summer, so he feels he has to prove that he is 100% back, (which he's not) and he tries to do too much himself.

He just needs to calm down...let the other players help him win games...

Anyone yelling for Batch must have had 20 helmetless accidents.
steelcity58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:23 PM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts
Default Re: Ben's mistakes are so simple

And of course nothing is going to help Ben get back to playing under control better than telling him to go out and repeat the game plan the Colts put in for Peyton Manning to run against Denver.

It appears the plan in the offseason was to put more of the load on Ben and go away from the 60/40 run/pass ratio of 2004-2005 that started to shift more to the pass in the playoffs.

Apparently there was no turning back after the accident - Ben's accident obvioulsy started the snowball down the hill but his coaches have not served him well this season.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:51 PM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
And of course nothing is going to help Ben get back to playing under control better than telling him to go out and repeat the game plan the Colts put in for Peyton Manning to run against Denver.

It appears the plan in the offseason was to put more of the load on Ben and go away from the 60/40 run/pass ratio of 2004-2005 that started to shift more to the pass in the playoffs.

Apparently there was no turning back after the accident - Ben's accident obvioulsy started the snowball down the hill but his coaches have not served him well this season.
You know... there are those who I disagree with as much or more then I agree with... but I always enjoy reading thier posts anyways... This is a perfect example... I disagree with ya Dan... But thank goodness you don't spout... Ben sucks.. Start Batch!!

Here is what I actually think is going on...

Last two years. we have not HAD TO pass, because we have been winning almost every game. Check the stats in the first half, then project those stats for both halves. If we were losing or tied most of the time, we would have HUGE pass stats. However, because we were winning those games, the offense SHUT DOWN... or should I say, we decided to take a bus to the finish line.

This year, it is different because we are losing almost every game. Thus, we have to keep passing to try and get back into the game. I really don't have a problem with that because once we have the ability to hit the pass wherever we want (and yes, Ben is going to be just like that), then the DB's will have to keep dropping back. That opens up 10, 20 yard runs for Willie. ANd with his speed... well...
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:18 AM   #4
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,269 Times in 2,306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
You know... there are those who I disagree with as much or more then I agree with... but I always enjoy reading thier posts anyways... This is a perfect example... I disagree with ya Dan... But thank goodness you don't spout... Ben sucks.. Start Batch!!

Here is what I actually think is going on...

Last two years. we have not HAD TO pass, because we have been winning almost every game. Check the stats in the first half, then project those stats for both halves. If we were losing or tied most of the time, we would have HUGE pass stats. However, because we were winning those games, the offense SHUT DOWN... or should I say, we decided to take a bus to the finish line.

This year, it is different because we are losing almost every game. Thus, we have to keep passing to try and get back into the game. I really don't have a problem with that because once we have the ability to hit the pass wherever we want (and yes, Ben is going to be just like that), then the DB's will have to keep dropping back. That opens up 10, 20 yard runs for Willie. ANd with his speed... well...
The problem with that is they cant run on a consistent basis, plus with all the to's ben has to try and play catch up and the D"s can tee off on the pass. What we need is a big bruising back that cant be arm tackeled and bust people in the mouth, wear down defences and willey just not able to do that.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:22 AM   #5
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

IMHO, the problem with Ben is that he's trying to hit the quick strike, ala Peyton Manning but he's more like the current rendition of Favre. When he checks down to his TE or the under WR or out of the backfield RB he does great. I think the Whiz needs to take the long ball away from him!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:06 AM   #6
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917

Yeah your right the Whiz needs to take his long ball away except for 1 or 2 plays a game
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:39 PM   #7
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

Ben is trying to hard that's the only problem with Ben in my opinion. He is a very good quarterback, but it seems he is feeling like he must make things happen. Once he relaxes he will be fine. I also agree Ben is our quarterback and people yelling for Batch just need to quit.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:53 PM   #8
BigDuke6
Banned

Member Number: 2238

Most of Ben's problems can be attributed to the poor play of the O-Line. How many sacks/hits/hurries has Ben taken this year ? How 'bout this....can Nate Washington and Cedrik Wilson get open on a consistent basis ? I think the Denver game showed that when Ben moved the pocket around and scrambled for extra time, he was scrambling to allow his recievers to get open and it worked quite well. Its enough to say our receiver corps does nothing to cause any lost sleep to DCs around the league. Just drop into coverage and let the front 4 eventually get the proper pressure.
Whew !!!!! Boy.....I'll place the blame just about anywhere but on Ben.
BigDuke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:10 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDuke6 View Post
Most of Ben's problems can be attributed to the poor play of the O-Line. How many sacks/hits/hurries has Ben taken this year ? How 'bout this....can Nate Washington and Cedrik Wilson get open on a consistent basis ? I think the Denver game showed that when Ben moved the pocket around and scrambled for extra time, he was scrambling to allow his recievers to get open and it worked quite well. Its enough to say our receiver corps does nothing to cause any lost sleep to DCs around the league. Just drop into coverage and let the front 4 eventually get the proper pressure.
Whew !!!!! Boy.....I'll place the blame just about anywhere but on Ben.
The rookie is right. The problem is that Ben doesn't have the time in or out of the pocket. Furthermore... When teams only have to rush 3 or 4, and can still sack the quarterback, what is the sense of rushing 6 and only dropping 5 back in coverage?

That is what is happening. Our O line needs to step up. Period. Then, we can start talking about whether Ben is playing well or not. Until he is protected, I will give him a pass.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:28 PM   #10
RodWoodson26
Water Boy

Member Number: 3489

Ben just needs to get back to fundamentals. Take the underneath route if you see double coverage downfield. Take the field goal,if nobody is open. Don't be afraid to simply punt the football away and trust your defense.
RodWoodson26 is offline   Reply With Quote