Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-09-2006, 06:16 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Steelers Notebook: Angry Porter will appeal fine

Steelers Notebook: Angry Porter will appeal fine
Thursday, November 09, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Joey Porter accused the NFL of picking on him after it levied a $15,000 fine on the Pro Bowl linebacker for words he said he never spoke.

"I didn't even make the comment," Porter said. "It's really the ref's word against mine, which is not a good situation."

The alleged comments were made Oct. 29 in Oakland while the Steelers were in the huddle. Umpire Steve Wilson threw a flag after he heard something in the huddle, and obviously fingered Porter as the culprit.

"What I was told in the letter, it said somebody said they were coming after him," Porter said. "That's not even what was said. When I was talking I was talking to my players."

Porter said he is appealing the fine, and compared it to a smaller one he received in 2004 when he was ejected before a game against Cleveland for fighting during warmups.

"I'm going to see how the appeal goes because they definitely got me in there for saying something I definitely didn't say," Porter said. "It's definitely because of who I am, because how do you get fined $10,000 for getting into a fight before a game and getting kicked out and you get fined $15,000 for saying something and I didn't even say it?

"It's definitely one of those who I am and why they said it -- the most-feared stuff from the cover, and they think I'm trying to live up to that rep; that's not the situation."

Porter was featured early this season on the cover of Sports Illustrated, which called him the most-feared player in the NFL.

He pointed to another incident in Atlanta as more evidence. Out with a hamstring injury, he walked the Steelers' sideline dressed in NFL-issued sweats, but with the legs cut shorter. He said he was told if he wore them that way again he would be fined by the league.

"New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick cuts his sweats on his sleeves every game, what's the difference?" Porter argued.

"That lets you know I'm a target. I'm not even playing, and they still want to fine me."

Porter said talk on a football field can get rough, but it always has been that way.

"I mean this still is a man's game. Cuss words and stuff is going to happen on a football field when you're frustrated -- winning or losing. People use those words on a football field as part of their everyday habitat. But, for them to try to attempt to fine me for that, it's definitely just because of who I am, they definitely are trying to get after 55: 'Let's get him, zero tolerance for him.' "

Porter hoped that, if what the umpire claimed was said occurred, the teammate who said it would admit it.

"I know right now it's my word against the ref's word, but I think I have some guys on the team who are standup guys who will go out there and let them know that I didn't say it, and whoever said it will stand up and say they said it because I definitely didn't say it.

"I think he just kind of flagged me for us talking to each other; there was nothing directed at the ref."

Linebacker shortage

The Steelers may soon send out an SOS for inside linebackers. Larry Foote was added to the injury report yesterday with rib injuries, joining fellow starter James Farrior (groin) as questionable. Top backup Clint Kriewaldt (back) is doubtful. Farrior and Kriewaldt did not practice, and Foote stopped early.

By the end, Rian Wallace was the only healthy inside linebacker available. Chad Brown played inside linebacker for the Steelers before he moved outside in 1996, where he has been ever since, although the Patriots did use him some on the inside last season.

Compounding the problem is that outside linebacker James Harrison, who also can play on the inside, will miss his fifth consecutive game with a high ankle sprain. Starting outside linebacker Clark Haggans (groin) is listed as probable, although he practiced.

Holmes update

Rookie Santonio Holmes shook off his two fumbles Sunday, one lost on a kickoff return and one recovered by a teammate on a punt return, and some boos from the home crowd and said he thinks he'll return to those jobs Sunday.

"You have your ups, you have your downs," Holmes said. "Sunday was one of those days you have your downs ... I'm pretty sure he'll give me another chance to redeem myself and I continue to keep my confidence up."

Holmes is the team's second-leading receiver with 22 receptions.

"I had a little talk with Santonio, and I think he's going to be OK," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. "That's the way it goes, You're going to get the crowd against you every once in a while.

"I just tell him to keep his head up because we need him on offense. He's a great asset to this offense and he's going to continue to grow because he's growing every day. He's really learning and he's making less mistakes on offense. He can be a weapon for us and we'll continue to use him because he is a good player."

Quick hits

Linebacker Justin Kurpeikis, who played at Central Catholic and Penn State, was released from the practice squad two weeks after he signed. Linebacker Ron Stanley was signed to replace him.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06313/736909-66.stm

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 11-09-2006 at 06:22 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:22 AM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Steelers Notebook: Angry Porter will appeal fine

Steelers notebook: Parker clams up

By The Tribune-Review
Thursday, November 9, 2006

Either Steelers coach Bill Cowher slapped a gag order on Willie Parker or the Steelers running back decided to do it himself. Three days after questioning the Steelers' desire and whether the players trusted one another on the field, Parker declined to speak to reporters Wednesday. A handful of the team's leaders said they weren't upset with Parker going public with his criticism following the Steelers' 31-20 loss to the Denver Broncos at Heinz Field.

"If that's what he feels, that's what he feels," wide receiver Hines Ward said. "If it applies to you, then you should learn from it. If it doesn't, then it doesn't bother me. I know I'm out there blocking my tail off for Willie. I don't have a problem with Willie saying what he had to say."

Neither did outside linebacker Joey Porter.

"If that's how he feels about it, the man is entitled to his own opinion," Porter said. "The way we go out there and fight on defense, I know nobody on my side of the ball feels like that. We fight and scratch for everything that happens out there on the football field."

Parker said, among other things, that winning the Super Bowl may have blunted the players' drive this season.

"I think being as close as we were for so many years, (winning last year) did satisfy that hunger a little bit," guard Alan Faneca said. "But at the same time, I think myself and everyone came back in here ready and hungry to get another one."

• Santonio Holmes said he is hopeful he will be back returning kickoffs and punts Sunday when the Steelers host the New Orleans Saints at Heinz Field. The rookie first-round pick got yanked from both after losing a fumble on a kickoff return and then fumbling on a punt return. Cedrick Wilson replaced Holmes on punt returns, while Ike Taylor took his place on kickoff returns.

"I'm pretty sure (Cowher) will give me another chance to redeem myself and continue to keep my confidence up," Holmes said.

• Larry Foote injured his ribs during practice yesterday, and the inside linebacker has been listed as questionable for Sunday's game. The Steelers will be without outside linebacker James Harrison (ankle) and wide receiver Willie Reid (foot) for the 4:15 p.m. game, and center Jeff Hartings (knee) and linebacker Clint Kriewaldt (back) are doubtful. James Farrior, who also starts at inside linebacker, is questionable with a groin problem.

• For the Saints, starting offensive tackle Jammal Brown (ankle), starting wide receiver Joe Horn (groin) and starting cornerback Fred Thomas (hamstring) are questionable as is tight end Nate Lawrie (back). Tight end Ernie Conwell (knee) is out, and running back Reggie Bush (ankle) is probable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Digits

2 - Wins in three games this season for the Steelers when they run that ball at least 35 times.

27 - Saints' NFL rank out of 32 teams in rushing yards per game.

92.3 - Saints' rushing yards per game.

136.7 - Passer rating Saints quarterback Drew Brees had last Sunday after throwing for 314 yards and three touchdowns in a 31-14 win over Tampa Bay. Brees won the NFC's Offensive Player of the Week Award.

- Scott Brown

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_478934.html
Old 11-09-2006, 07:00 AM   #3
ncoolong
Water Boy

Member Number: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Steelers notebook: Parker clams up

By The Tribune-Review
Thursday, November 9, 2006

Either Steelers coach Bill Cowher slapped a gag order on Willie Parker or the Steelers running back decided to do it himself. Three days after questioning the Steelers' desire and whether the players trusted one another on the field, Parker declined to speak to reporters Wednesday. A handful of the team's leaders said they weren't upset with Parker going public with his criticism following the Steelers' 31-20 loss to the Denver Broncos at Heinz Field.

"If that's what he feels, that's what he feels," wide receiver Hines Ward said. "If it applies to you, then you should learn from it. If it doesn't, then it doesn't bother me. I know I'm out there blocking my tail off for Willie. I don't have a problem with Willie saying what he had to say."

Neither did outside linebacker Joey Porter.

"If that's how he feels about it, the man is entitled to his own opinion," Porter said. "The way we go out there and fight on defense, I know nobody on my side of the ball feels like that. We fight and scratch for everything that happens out there on the football field."

Parker said, among other things, that winning the Super Bowl may have blunted the players' drive this season.

"I think being as close as we were for so many years, (winning last year) did satisfy that hunger a little bit," guard Alan Faneca said. "But at the same time, I think myself and everyone came back in here ready and hungry to get another one."

? Santonio Holmes said he is hopeful he will be back returning kickoffs and punts Sunday when the Steelers host the New Orleans Saints at Heinz Field. The rookie first-round pick got yanked from both after losing a fumble on a kickoff return and then fumbling on a punt return. Cedrick Wilson replaced Holmes on punt returns, while Ike Taylor took his place on kickoff returns.

"I'm pretty sure (Cowher) will give me another chance to redeem myself and continue to keep my confidence up," Holmes said.

? Larry Foote injured his ribs during practice yesterday, and the inside linebacker has been listed as questionable for Sunday's game. The Steelers will be without outside linebacker James Harrison (ankle) and wide receiver Willie Reid (foot) for the 4:15 p.m. game, and center Jeff Hartings (knee) and linebacker Clint Kriewaldt (back) are doubtful. James Farrior, who also starts at inside linebacker, is questionable with a groin problem.

? For the Saints, starting offensive tackle Jammal Brown (ankle), starting wide receiver Joe Horn (groin) and starting cornerback Fred Thomas (hamstring) are questionable as is tight end Nate Lawrie (back). Tight end Ernie Conwell (knee) is out, and running back Reggie Bush (ankle) is probable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Digits

2 - Wins in three games this season for the Steelers when they run that ball at least 35 times.

27 - Saints' NFL rank out of 32 teams in rushing yards per game.

92.3 - Saints' rushing yards per game.

136.7 - Passer rating Saints quarterback Drew Brees had last Sunday after throwing for 314 yards and three touchdowns in a 31-14 win over Tampa Bay. Brees won the NFC's Offensive Player of the Week Award.

- Scott Brown

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_478934.html
Umm...I'm sure the writer is just trying to not use the same words over and over, but read the injury part again about Farrior. A groin "problem??" I've strained that muscle before, but never had a "problem." Did he go to Mexico after the game or something?
ncoolong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:36 AM   #4
melroseplace
Team Captain

Member Number: 520

I believe Joey...he's not the kind of guy who's going to say something and then deny it. also him getting fined for cutting off his sweatpants? that's a little unnecessary
Old 11-09-2006, 09:50 AM   #5
Btrice
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3145

Quote:
Originally Posted by melroseplace View Post
I believe Joey...he's not the kind of guy who's going to say something and then deny it. also him getting fined for cutting off his sweatpants? that's a little unnecessary
This whole league is a little unnecessary anymore. I am so tired of all the BS fines and crap. Just play football.