Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 06-07-2007, 03:37 PM   #121
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding
Default Re: Offical 2006-2007 National Hockey League Thread.

Props go to the Mighty Ducks for stomping the Sens in 5.

The Ottawa Senators fail once again. How many years in a row has it been now?

I take great joy in this for obvious reasons.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #122
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
How many years in a row has it been now?
Ten years in a row.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:49 PM   #123
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Well, scratch Scott Hartnell off the list of possible Penguin FA signees - he, along with defenseman and captain Kimmo Timonen have been acquired by the Flyers:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=211182&hubname=
Old 06-19-2007, 08:55 PM   #124
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:33 PM   #125
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedosesteelers2006 View Post
Old 06-19-2007, 09:47 PM   #126
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:18 AM   #127
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Just trying to figure out what the yawn was all about.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:31 AM   #128
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Anyways.....

Found this story pretty entertaining......

NHL Draft: Rangers' fan worth taking a flyer on
Wednesday, June 20, 2007

By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Being a New York Rangers fan is not necessarily in James vanRiemsdyk's blood.

But it's at least encoded in his DNA.

And that could add a layer of intrigue to the first round of the NHL draft in Columbus, Ohio, Friday night.

For vanRiemsdyk, a power forward and second-generation Rangers partisan, is universally regarded as one of the top prospects available, and Philadelphia, perhaps the Rangers' most fierce rival, has the No. 2 choice.

Which means there is a very real possibility that vanRiemsdyk will end up on the depth chart of a team he likely has despised for most of his 18 years. And that he might be in the market for a new family if Philadelphia claims him.

"[My father] has told me that," vanRiemsdyk said, smiling. "But I'm sure he'll come around and I'm sure he'll be one of those guys wearing a Flyers jersey at the game."

Well, that might be pushing it a bit, but Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren did point out to vanRiemsdyk a few weeks ago that going to Philadelphia would sever any emotional ties he has to the Rangers.

"I said, 'If the Flyers draft you, you'll have to change that,' " Holmgren said. " 'And it will take you one game as a Flyer going into New York to recognize that you hate the Rangers, just like everybody else involved with the Flyers.' "

If vanRiemsdyk develops the way many scouts believe he will, fans of 28 other clubs won't care for him much, either, because he could become the kind of guy who does terrible things to their team of choice.

The consensus is that vanRiemsdyk is several years from competing for a job in the NHL, but people who evaluate talent for a living are confident he'll mature into a true impact player.

"It probably will take him a little bit of time to develop, because of his size [6 foot 3, 200 pounds]," said Chicago general manager Dale Tallon, whose team owns the No. 1 choice. "[Highly regarded prospects Kyle Turris and Patrick Kane] are smaller, and the coordination is there at a younger age.

"They're probably more coordinated, and a little more ready [for the NHL] that way. But the bigger kids take a little longer."

To his credit, vanRiemsdyk recognizes that he is not ready to contend for a job in the pros right away, and intends to honor a commitment to attend the University of New Hampshire, regardless of what transpires at Nationwide Arena Friday.

"I think I'm going to head for college, at least for a year or so to keep developing my game, to keep getting better and stronger and going from there," he said.

E.J. McGuire, head of NHL Central Scouting, heartily endorsed that approach, stressing that vanRiemsdyk and the team that gets his rights must resist the temptation to have him turn pro before he is ready.

"The NCAA will do him well," McGuire said. "Development-wise, he's going to be a power forward, but right now, he's a skinny, great-framed kid. He'll be a power forward in the NHL. Just not next year."

Of course, it's possible that none of the premier prospects in the Class of 2007 will be able to play in the NHL this winter, which is understandable when you're dealing with 18-year-olds.

"We've all got to be patient," St. Louis president John Davidson said.

"How many [Jordan] Staals are there, where he stepped right in?"

Although vanRiemsdyk is not the favorite to be claimed by the Blackhawks with the top choice in the draft, he gets favorable reviews from Tallon, particularly for his work at this spring's under-18 world championships.

"His game got better, and he improved with each game over there," Tallon said. "He's improved with each tournament. He's big, a pro-type player. He's got good skills, good speed and he seemed to play well when the game was on the line."

Should the Blackhawks decide to invest the No. 1 choice in Kane or Turris, vanRiemsdyk will be on the board when it's Philadelphia's turn to select. And if the Flyers decide he's their man, vanRiemsdyk insists that shifting loyalties won't be difficult.

"When I get drafted, I don't really care who it is," he said. "I know it's just going to be an exciting thing to get drafted."

NOTES -- The Penguins signed winger Connor James, who had 12 goals and 20 assists in 70 games with their farm team in Wilkes-Barre last season, to a one-year contract. ... The Penguins hope to learn by July 1 whether defensive prospect Alex Goligoski will turn pro or return to the University of Minnesota for his junior season. ... The Penguins promoted pro scout Dan McKinnon to director of pro scouting and re-signed pro scout Kevin Stevens, amateur scouts Brian Fitzgerald, Chuck Grillo, Jim Madigan, Wayne Meier, Darryl Plandowski and Matt Recchi and European scouts Patrik Allvin and Robert Neuhauser. Pro scout Bill O'Flaherty, who spent one season with the Penguins, has joined Florida as its director of pro scouting.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07171/795546-61.stm
Old 06-20-2007, 10:28 AM   #129
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Just trying to figure out what the yawn was all about.
that confused me as well. I figure I'd just add my 2 cents with the off topic.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:34 PM   #130
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

HAHAHA!!

Balsillie out as prospective owner
Jim Balsillie

Bob McKenzie

6/22/2007 7:07:55 PM

Nashville owner Craig Leipold has advised the NHL to no longer consider Jim Balsillie as a prospective owner of the team.

Sources say Leipold told the league the absence of a finalized sale agreement and Balsillie desire to move the franchise to Hamilton are the reasons for his decision.

Details to follow.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=211577&hubname=nhl