Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2006, 04:33 PM   #1
sumo
Team Captain
 
sumo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Asotin, WA
Posts: 891
Gender: Male
Member Number: 3047
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Steelers and Steroids

I posted a comment about the Steelers and Steroids in the 70s early 80s yesterday on one of the threads because lately I'm hearing the Steelers won all of their SBs in the 70s because of Roids - granted I live in a Seahawk infested area - but I just had another guy on my lunch break say "hey, everybody knows the Steelers dominated in the 70s because of steroids - where have you been dude?!! - it's common knowledge" - maybe this sentiment has always been there and I just never noticed it -- but what the h*** is this all about? - and why is it surfacing now? - or has it always been floating around? - I completely disagree with it for a lot of reasons, but I want to hear from the SF....
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:15 PM   #2
skinart82
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Johnstown, PA, but Chattanooga, TN now
Posts: 339
Gender: Male
Member Number: 3485
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Re: Steelers and Steroids

***NOT TRUE*** I have never heard this before
skinart82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:17 PM   #3
PirateSteeler
Banned
 
PirateSteeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Da Burgh
Posts: 126
Gender: Male
Member Number: 3364
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Steelers and Steroids

It is pretty widely known in the sports world that the linemen were on roids. Its kind of unspoken though... you know?
PirateSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:21 PM   #4
PirateSteeler
Banned
 
PirateSteeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Da Burgh
Posts: 126
Gender: Male
Member Number: 3364
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Steelers and Steroids

Quote:
Courson exonerated the Steelers' defensive linemen -- "In those days, few defensive linemen did [steroids]," he wrote -- which is why L.C. Greenwood could go on a national radio show the other day and say, with good conscience, that Haslett's assertion was the damnedest thing he ever heard.

But Courson wrote that 75 percent of the Steelers' offensive linemen took steroids at one time or another and would sit around as a group discussing their usage the way other men might discuss their wife or girlfriend, a night at the bar or a good hunting trip.

"Disgruntled players throughout the league called us the 'Steroid Team,' as if performance-enhancing drugs were the sole reason for our success," Courson wrote, adding how maniacal the Steelers' linemen were in the weight room.

"The fact is, our [steroids] usage was the same -- give or take -- as most of the NFL teams at that time."
Courson played for the Steelers from mid 70's to early 80's
PirateSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:31 PM   #5
silver & black
Team President
 
silver & black's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Massillon, Oh.
Posts: 2,459
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1836
Thanks: 6
Thanked 262 Times in 107 Posts
Default Re: Steelers and Steroids

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo View Post
I posted a comment about the Steelers and Steroids in the 70s early 80s yesterday on one of the threads because lately I'm hearing the Steelers won all of their SBs in the 70s because of Roids - granted I live in a Seahawk infested area - but I just had another guy on my lunch break say "hey, everybody knows the Steelers dominated in the 70s because of steroids - where have you been dude?!! - it's common knowledge" - maybe this sentiment has always been there and I just never noticed it -- but what the h*** is this all about? - and why is it surfacing now? - or has it always been floating around? - I completely disagree with it for a lot of reasons, but I want to hear from the SF....
While there might be some small truth to the alleged use of steroids by some players, I doubt that most were involved with it.

The Steelers of the 70's were badass because of the players they had, not because of anything those players were allegedly taking. I have read similar things about the 70's Raiders. Again, I'm sure some players were using steroids, but I doubt that most were. They were also a badass buch because of the players, not because of steroids. Yeah, I know Alzado used them, but he didn't play for us in the 70's.

Every team has players that use steroids... always have and always will. Steroids don't win championships... great players and great teams do. The 70's Steelers had great players on great teams... simple as that.
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:35 PM   #6
sumo
Team Captain
 
sumo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Asotin, WA
Posts: 891
Gender: Male
Member Number: 3047
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Steelers and Steroids

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateSteeler View Post
Courson played for the Steelers from mid 70's to early 80's
I remember watching an ESPN special and seeing Jack Lambert - he said something like "it's obvious I never took them - I was always the skinniest guy on the field - I played middle linebacker in the NFL at 212 lbs..."

I also know Joe Greene disliked weight training - I'm assuming all these allegations are aimed at the offensive line?
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:43 PM   #7
sumo
Team Captain
 
sumo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Asotin, WA
Posts: 891
Gender: Male
Member Number: 3047
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Steelers and Steroids

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
While there might be some small truth to the alleged use of steroids by some players, I doubt that most were involved with it.

The Steelers of the 70's were badass because of the players they had, not because of anything those players were allegedly taking. I have read similar things about the 70's Raiders. Again, I'm sure some players were using steroids, but I doubt that most were. They were also a badass buch because of the players, not because of steroids. Yeah, I know Alzado used them, but he didn't play for us in the 70's.

Every team has players that use steroids... always have and always will. Steroids don't win championships... great players and great teams do. The 70's Steelers had great players on great teams... simple as that.
You know - steroids were legal then too - whenever I bring this up -- people look at me like I'm full of sh**, but it's true - I knew guys that were taking steroids by perscription under a doctor's supervision in the early 80s when I was in high school - one of my friends actually had his dad take him to a doctor renowned as a BALCO type guy - but I agree with you - Alzado and probably Matuszak of the Raiders and everybody knows Steve Courson's story - you always hear Mike Webster's name too...but to think this is the reason why the Steelers dominated -- come on!!!
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:44 PM   #8
FLSteeler
Water Boy
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16
Member Number: 2618
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Steelers and Steroids

Roids have been in the NFL for years , and as far as the Steelers using Roids
in the seventies then you have to look at all teams in the NFL . For instance
Lyle Alzado for the Raiders who died from Roids from years of abuse.
Performance enhancing drugs are used today in the NFL they just have not
been banned yet. Every year the NFL instills new laws on performance drinks
and vitamins just look at Merriman for the Chargers or Romanoski for the
Raiders years ago with fellow players around the NFL. So if Roids was the
reason we won then everybody had a chance back then.

Sunday we will win against the saints, thats a FACT no if and or butts!!!!!


Its time to PUNISH every team we play !!! GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
FLSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:47 PM   #9
PirateSteeler
Banned
 
PirateSteeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Da Burgh
Posts: 126
Gender: Male
Member Number: 3364
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Steelers and Steroids

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinart82 View Post
***NOT TRUE*** I have never heard this before
LMAO!!! just because you never heard this before means its not true?
PirateSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:00 PM   #10
skinart82
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Johnstown, PA, but Chattanooga, TN now
Posts: 339
Gender: Male
Member Number: 3485
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Re: Steelers and Steroids

I know, but in my world....IT's NOT TRUE
skinart82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts