Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-10-2006, 07:16 PM   #1
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default LITP's Mid-season Power-rankings

Well everyone,

Here we are at the midpoint of the regular season and some teams are finding their stride and others and being exposed.

My power ranks follow a pretty simple format - the strongest team in the NFL goes at No.1 and the weakest goes at No.32 - I factor in strength of opposition but I dont stick squarely to actual records.

I try and avoid scenario's where a team placed lower than another would actually be favorite to beat them if they met on a neutral territory this week.

1. Indy Colts - What can you say? Plenty of quality wins this year, played down to poor opposition and up to good opposition and found ways to win them all. Fatal flaw could be the run D, but Manning,Wayne and Harrison show no signs of letting up just now.

2. Denver Bronco's - Probably the best defensive performers of the 1st half of the season. Plummer is an accident waiting to happen, but the run game and D continue to take the weight.

3. San Diego Chargers - On paper this team is awesome on both sides of the ball. 'Rookie' QB assured throwing the ball, best RB in the game, scary strong D. Unfortunately this could count for nought if Marty-ball takes hold at the wrong moment.

4. New England Patriots - Strong across the board. Under-rated O-line, best QB in the league and top notch D-line make this team competitive in any environment. A weakness in the secondary that will have to be compensated for by the other areas of the team. Haven't suffered back-to back defeats since 2002.

5. Chicago Bears - Its hard to be too convinced about any 'dominant product' coming out of the NFC in recent years - and the Bears follow this trend. Enjoy beating up on the runts of the litter but struggle against top notch AFC opposition - and Miami.

6. Baltimore Ravens - I was one of the people waiting for the other shoe to drop with this team - but it hasnt happened yet. The D is playing great football - and seems to be scoring just as much as its offensive counter-part. Sooner or later the D is going to let up a bunch of points - how will McNair respond then? Chances are we'll find out in the next 4/5 weeks.

7. NY Giants - Flying mostly under the radar so far - all that will chnage with this weeks match up against the Bears. Eli Manning is solid rather than spectacular - and with Tiki running the ball you dont need much more. D has issues with lack of pressure on the QB - as evidenced by 8 TD conceded in 3 games against the Colts, Eagles and Seahawks.

8. New Orleans - This team is playing very good fundamental football - running the ball well and a QB who has been electric - a shoe-in for FA acquisition of the year. Reggie Bush has greatly underwhelmed, but Colston has been fantastic - very consistent deep threat for a rookie WR. Is Deuce McAllister the least hyped quality back in the NFL? I think so.

9. Jacksonville - Probably the most Jekyll and Hyde team in the league - which one is the real Jaguars?
The team that totally shut down the Eagles and Steelers or the one which lost to Houston and let by 36 points against Washington?

10. Atlanta Falcons - Another team that is scary good when on their game and when allowed to play the right type of game. If you take away the run Vick probably wont beat you - especially if you take the time to double cover TE Alge Crumpler.

And the rest.......

11. Kansas City Cheifs
12. Cincinatti Bengals
13. Philadelphia Eagles
14. Carolina Panthers
15. Dallas Cowboys
16. Seattle Seahawks
17. Minnesota Vikings
18. NY Jets
19. St. Louis Rams
20. Pittsburgh Steelers
21. Buffalo Bills
22. Washington Redskins
23. Miami Dolphins
24. Green Bay Packers
25. Tampa Bay Bucs
26. San Fran 49ers
27. Detriot Lions
28. Cleveland Browns
29. Houston Texans
30. Tennessee Titans
31. Oakland Raiders
32. Arizona Cardinals.

Any thoughts/ recommendations welcome.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.

Last edited by Livinginthe past; 11-10-2006 at 07:26 PM.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:19 PM   #2
boLT fan
Team Captain

Member Number: 901
Default Re: LITP's Mid-season Power-rankings

I don't like how you called Philip a "Rookie QB", but other than the list looks good.
boLT fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:20 PM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by boLT fan View Post
I don't like how you called Philip a "Rookie QB", but other than the list looks good.
Well for all intents and purposes thats what he is - and thanks.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:24 PM   #4
boLT fan
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Well for all intents and purposes thats what he is - and thanks.

NM
There's a pretty big difference between starting your first year, and sitting and learning from a pro bowl QB for two years.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:28 PM   #5
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by boLT fan View Post
There's a pretty big difference between starting your first year, and sitting and learning from a pro bowl QB for two years.
Ok. There are some inverted comma's around 'rookie' QB now!

NM
Old 11-10-2006, 07:48 PM   #6
boLT fan
Team Captain

boLT - 1
LITP - 0

Thanks for adding them.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:08 PM   #7
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Very good rankings LITP. I really can't argue with any of your rankings.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:56 AM   #8
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Wow! You put the Raiders at 31... how come?

Never in my wildest dreams could I imagine my beloved Raiders in this situation.
silver & black is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:02 AM   #9
Hines0wnz
Living Legend

Member Number: 3085

They look okay but it is difficult to rate SD and NE above the Bears when SD has beaten only 2 teams with a winning record, in fact they are 2-2 in that category. Yes Chicago lost to Miami but it is their first loss of the season and SD only beat the Browns by a touchdown last week. And I'm sorry but Brady is not the best QB in the league right now. He threw 4 INTs against an average D and they only have 2 (3 if you count the Jets, and I dont) quality wins this season so far. However, the Bears do have a soft schedule and a dinged up D at the moment. To me, its a push for NE & Chicago at 3 and 4 but SD is a solid 5. And I'd also like to add that Denver isnt a solid #2 (no pun intended) unless that O starts showing up soon.

Other than that...not bad.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:26 AM   #10
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
Wow! You put the Raiders at 31... how come?

Never in my wildest dreams could I imagine my beloved Raiders in this situation.
Hey S&B,

The Raiders have had a real tough time this year, im wondering if Art Shell will last into next year.

The two worst teams in the NFL have something in common - awful offensive lines - at least Oakland attempted to address that with Robert Gallery (who was supposed to the surest of sure bets in that years draft) but it hasn't really worked out.

NM