Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 07-24-2005, 01:59 PM   #1
stillers4strife
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 400
Default What do you expect Gibson's contributions to be in 2005?

With the different threads about how Plax's departure affects us, how good/bad the Wilson signing was, how much of a factor Heath Miller will be in the passing game in 2005, and so on, what are some thoughts on how much Fred Gibson will be used next year?

On one hand, Cowher isn't one to use rookies extensively, unless forced to do so by injury or poor play from the non-rookie starter. Gibson has his drawbacks and WR isn't always a position where the rookie can step in and be productive right away. Still, Gibson does add a different dimension to our WR's. Regarded as having good route running skills and poor hands, he could be a key in next year's offense. Or he could find himself wasting away on the bench.

What are some thoughts?

More comments here: http://maximumgrilledsteelers.com/in...showtopic=3455
Old 07-24-2005, 02:12 PM   #2
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default Re: What do you expect Gibson's contributions to be in 2005?

Only time will tell. If he can adjust quickly to the pro game, then he will get some playing time. It looks like we want to spread the field with our wide outs. So if we have some four receiver set, that may increase his playing time. Then again if Cobb worksout then???????
Old 07-24-2005, 02:20 PM   #3
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

I think Miller will do fine, and be a really important target for Ben. If he is used as a receiver he could become one of the leagues premier Tight ends....

I want to think that Gibson is a steal in the fourth round and he is gonna contribute this season and eventually move into Plax's role. The reallity is that there have been 34 WR's taken in the fourth round in the last decade, and only 4 have produced at this level (Justin McCareins, Brandon Lloyd, Derick Mason, and Brandon Stokely). The list of guys that never panned out, and are out of the NFL is much longer. Of the four that made it none of them I consider to be "dominent" receivers, but they are effective. I think that should give us a dose of reallity, and I wouldn't be expecting too much out of Gibson. I would not be suprised if in the next few years we take a WR in rounds one or two in the draft, and Gibson gets lost in the mix.

I hope I am wrong.....
Old 07-24-2005, 02:39 PM   #4
steelparrot
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 437

I feel it will take sometime to see Gibson reallly involved with the offense. Towards the end of the season we should start seeing him have more of an impact.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:49 PM   #5
SteelBill
Water Boy

Member Number: 425

I think with a decent camp he will become a younger, cheaper, and hopefully more productive Lee Mays.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:26 PM   #6
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

As Cleve said time will tell. He has a lot of potential, but you never know how that potential in college translates into the NFL. I am hoping he becomes a good receiver, but you just never know. I am hoping he does work out for us though.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 06:29 PM   #7
slashsteel

Member Number:

Well I think he has the talent for the NFL. He needs to add a few pounds and shake the underachieving label. Good that he has Ward as a mentor, how far he goes will be all about his will and desire. Like a few have said we shall see..............
Old 07-24-2005, 07:23 PM   #8
Ironman
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 320

I don't see Gibson getting a sniff at the ball this year. He may see some plays in multi-WR sets... but really... how often do you see the Steelers in that kind of formation. The passes will go to Hines and Big Earl (Heath Miller). There won't be enough thrown for Gibson to get one.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:04 PM   #9
SteelerFanInATL
Team Captain

Member Number: 369

Randel El played well his rookie year, and we all know what Big Ben did last year. I think Gibson can/will make an impact on the team. Bring him along slow, let him learn and play and he will be fine. My opinion is that he will receive alot of mentoring from Ward. They both went to UGA.
SteelerFanInATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:53 PM   #10
stillers4strife
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 400

I think Gibson can contribute in 2005, albeit in a limited role. I can see him being a threat in the RZ. Also a few shots down the field from Ben. Gibson made some amazing catches at UGA....lots of over-the-shoulder catches (view at yahoo.com). I think if he gets his act together and starts to think a bit more on the field and concentrate on what's going on, he'll be okay. Thinking of Ward, ARE, and Wilson out on the field, add Gibson and you certainly add a different dimension to the set of WR's on the field.

I also think that having Miller and Gibson (6'5'' and 6'4'' respectively) will definitely help keep the defenses a bit more honest than if it's only the smaller WR's out there.

I'm not looking for huge or even modest numbers from Gibson in 2005. I do think that Gibson will be great in spot duty. I also think he'll draw the safety and get Ward, ARE, or Wilson open in single coverage. If not, Ben hits Gibson down field.

I think regardless of whether Gibson puts up good stats next year, as long as we get him out on the field for a few plays a game, he'll definitely have a positive impact.