Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-13-2006, 04:53 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Polamalu leaves game with concussion

By The Associated Press
Monday, November 13, 2006

Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu received a concussion during the first quarter Sunday against New Orleans and did not return to the game.
Polamalu, an All-Pro safety last season, was hurt during a Saints touchdown drive that cut Pittsburgh's lead to 14-7.

He was examined by doctors on the Steelers' sideline and, while he was not taken immediately to the locker room, remained on the bench for New Orleans' next possession, with Tyrone Carter taking his place. At one point, after being examined by doctors, Polamalu leaned sideways and nearly tumbled off the bench.

Later in the first half, the Steelers lost another starting defensive back, cornerback Deshea Townsend, with a concussion and an ankle injury.

With two starters out, the Steelers played backups Anthony Madison, Bryant McFadden and Anthony Smith in their nickel and dime alignments that use five or six defensive
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:46 AM   #2
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390
Default Re: Polamalu leaves game with concussion

Hey.. I saw 2 or 3 things yesterday that I havent seen in a while.. I didnt actually see the Ducester in his joggin suit and I DID SEE #42 Jon Kuhn on the field on special teams. Now, Duce has been on this team all year/ inactive that is... and he cant even play special teams...
Now, I love Troy and I hate to see this injury to hit him again. He had these problems in college and I hope that he doesnt go back to that again. It would be sad to see such a great career be marred or ended by these injuries... My prayers are with the young man.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:06 AM   #3
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

hope they are ok
Old 11-13-2006, 11:59 AM   #4
Btrice
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3145

What is wrong with the helmets in the NFL? Why are so many people getting concussions? That hit Troy made looked rough, but not rough enough to give him even a mild concussion. Bush's momentum was perpendicular to Troy's so unless he got his head caught in Bush's path (hard to tell from the angle they showed it at, it just looked like helmet to arm/shoulder contact) and it was snapped to the side, I can't see this happening.

I am definitely not calling Troy a glass figurine, I would point to the helmets first.

In the day and age of kevlar, high impact plastics, carbon fiber, and a multitude of impact absorbing foam solutions, concussions on routine plays should be nonexistent.

Now I realize that there is a momentum differential in this example, but if my hockey helmet can absorb a 80+ mph slap shot without me feeling anything (well my neck muscles have a little to do with that), I would think that the helmets in the NFL could at least reduce the intertial effects that cause most concussions. I think it would be a simple case of impact foam that absorbs at a non-linear rate coupled with trainers doing more neck strengthening work.

A simple neck harness can go a long way. I've used them in the past to strengthen my neck against flash KO's from uppercuts to the chin and forehead kicks that typically snap the head back and can cause concussions and loss of consciousness.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:02 PM   #5
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

Has anyone heard any updates on Troy? Sure would appreciate any info being passed on!

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:59 PM   #6
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btrice View Post
What is wrong with the helmets in the NFL? Why are so many people getting concussions? That hit Troy made looked rough, but not rough enough to give him even a mild concussion. Bush's momentum was perpendicular to Troy's so unless he got his head caught in Bush's path (hard to tell from the angle they showed it at, it just looked like helmet to arm/shoulder contact) and it was snapped to the side, I can't see this happening.

I am definitely not calling Troy a glass figurine, I would point to the helmets first.

In the day and age of kevlar, high impact plastics, carbon fiber, and a multitude of impact absorbing foam solutions, concussions on routine plays should be nonexistent.

Now I realize that there is a momentum differential in this example, but if my hockey helmet can absorb a 80+ mph slap shot without me feeling anything (well my neck muscles have a little to do with that), I would think that the helmets in the NFL could at least reduce the intertial effects that cause most concussions. I think it would be a simple case of impact foam that absorbs at a non-linear rate coupled with trainers doing more neck strengthening work.

A simple neck harness can go a long way. I've used them in the past to strengthen my neck against flash KO's from uppercuts to the chin and forehead kicks that typically snap the head back and can cause concussions and loss of consciousness.
hahahahahaah ... wtf??? ... are you like an extreme wrestler or something ... forehead kicks??? i really dont know what you are talking about mortal combat.
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:02 PM   #7
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodcitygirl View Post
Has anyone heard any updates on Troy? Sure would appreciate any info being passed on!
I know, I don't think there is any yet. Cohwer said that he couldn't say anything yet because he didn't really know the details. Oh well, no doubt it will be on the news tonight, along with a bunch of fan reaction.

~Polamalufan43
Old 11-13-2006, 03:19 PM   #8
Btrice
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3145

Quote:
Originally Posted by paw-n-maul-u View Post
hahahahahaah ... wtf??? ... are you like an extreme wrestler or something ... forehead kicks??? i really dont know what you are talking about mortal combat.
Its called MMA, mixed martial arts, and forehead kicks are rare but its the most extreme case besides right under the jaw that can make your head snap back fast.

And what am I talking about? Well I am trying to strike up an intelligent conversation about the causes of the rampant concussions seen all over the NFL. Thanks for your insightful addition Where is Atlanta Dan when I need him?

Last edited by Btrice; 11-13-2006 at 03:30 PM.
Btrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:28 PM   #9
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304

When we drafted Troy, it seems like I remember alot of talk on how he had had several concussions in college. I sure hope he is okay!~

Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:32 PM   #10
PirateSteeler
Banned

Member Number: 3364

Troy "Glass Jaw" Polamalu got ****ed up by Bush. But he will be ok, i bet he plays next week.
PirateSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote