Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 05-10-2005, 04:17 AM   #1
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86
Question Okay, guys need you're help. (For The Pittsburghers)

Okay, so I am writing my senior paper on the Steelers. Unfortunately it is a research paper and I can not write my own opinions in it. Blah! So, for the final page one of the things that is being addressed is "What do the Steelers mean to Pittsburgh?" If some of you can write your opinions down I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thank you! :)
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 12:58 PM   #2
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: Okay, guys need you're help. (For The Pittsburghers)

I'm not from Pittbsurgh,but I have been there.And I would say that the Steelers are what Pittsburgh is all about.It's a hard-working,tough,proud football team with lots of tradition just like the city.The Steelers are Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh is the Steelers.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:57 PM   #3
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

The Steelers are everything to Pittsburgh, it use to be the Steel City, not as much anymore, but there is no doubt that the Steelers are the first thing that come to mind if you were to ask an out of towner. Pittsburgh is a blue collar town, and thats the way the Steelers play, power running and yough defense. The team and the city are as tough as steel.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:26 PM   #4
Avoid LLoyd1975
Starter

Member Number: 376

Being a steeler fan is almost like a terminal sickness. Most fans create and plan their daily activities around this team. Almost like a junkie needing his fix. I.E. I have to check steelers.com everyday or nfl.com everyday. I have to search every newspaper that is produced just for the simple fact that it might contain info on my team. EVERYDAY!!! People plan gatherings months in advance just to unite for one game a year. What the steeler organization means to the city of fans is pride in what you do. Busting your ass and earning it the right way. First class team earning their rewards in a blue collar manner. I grew up youngest of nine kids. Wealthy family, but mom and dad never gave us shit except the roof over our head which you had to work for. That is what makes the steeler fan base so large and loyal. You never forget how you were brought up or created. A hard working person can appreciate a team like the steelers. Its all about heart baby...
Avoid LLoyd1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 05:56 PM   #5
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

My wife and I travel to Pittsburgh several times a year to visit friends, go to games, and just generally get away for alittle bit. We love the city, it's grown leaps and bounds over the decades. It's always been a sports town, even when the Pens & Pirates are not having a competitive season and fans are sure to voice their displeasure, they are still supported to the bitter end. However, the Steelers are on an entirely different level of passion. Sure there are people in Pittsburgh who don't really follow football; but even they check out the sports section every monday morning to see how the black n gold faired on game day.

The Steelers are an extension of the city, and vice versa. From the talk shows on TV & Radio, to the newspapers and the internet, it's always about the Steelers. Even in the offseason, any little tidbit of information is blasted all over the local media as die hard fans cling to every morsel of news about thier beloved Steelers.

The city is a hard working, tough, blue collar town, with a passion for their team; and the Steelers reflect that same type of attitude. Just like the fans bring their best out every sunday afternoon on gameday, the Steelers put forth the effort befitting of the passion their fans give to them.

The Steelers are Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh is the Steelers.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 06:17 PM   #6
AllAmericanSteelerGirl#7
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 340

Avoid LLoyd1975- I can't agree with you more. I am the same way, it's like my life revolves around the Steelers! What makes the Steelers such a great team is that they know what hard work is, and they go out on the field and play their hardest. Not only that but, the Steelers are like best friends towards one another and that helps alot also, they are a very "tight" team. I am proud to be a Steelers fan, and wouldn't have it any other way. Say it big and say it loud, "I am a Steelers fan, and very proud!"

~AllAmer~
AllAmericanSteelerGirl#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 06:44 PM   #7
geran42o
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoid LLoyd1975
Being a steeler fan is almost like a terminal sickness. Most fans create and plan their daily activities around this team. Almost like a junkie needing his fix. I.E. I have to check steelers.com everyday or nfl.com everyday. I have to search every newspaper that is produced just for the simple fact that it might contain info on my team. EVERYDAY!!! People plan gatherings months in advance just to unite for one game a year. What the steeler organization means to the city of fans is pride in what you do. Busting your ass and earning it the right way. First class team earning their rewards in a blue collar manner. I grew up youngest of nine kids. Wealthy family, but mom and dad never gave us shit except the roof over our head which you had to work for. That is what makes the steeler fan base so large and loyal. You never forget how you were brought up or created. A hard working person can appreciate a team like the steelers. Its all about heart baby...
LOL this is me to a T. I'm so addicted

geran42o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 01:21 AM   #8
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

Thank you very much guys. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me. I did quote some of you guys in the paper. :)
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 01:26 AM   #9
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Always glad to help !
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 02:11 AM   #10
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

The Steelers don't need our city. Pittsburgh doesn't need the Steelers. But much like the bottle with a note and the beach, they find each other. The Steelers are an organization that relied heavy on taking people with great heart and average/above average talent and producing great results. The city in return responds by giving a background for great results. The two then become one and form a bond that cannot be broken.

If you look at the team, you look at futility becomming excellence. If you look at the town, you look and industry becomming technology. Both roll with the punches, which brings us to the main point of the town and the team. We don't expect anything and we don't ask for anything. We look at the landscape and say okay this is the field we are given. What are the rules? Okay. Game on. Then we say no matter the starting point, no matter the climb, we will be a champion. Slowly and surely, we build. Still with high expectations, but all the while understanding its a climb. The incline takes awhile, but the view from Mt. Washington is worth it. So we grind, claw, and punch our way to the top. Yeah we have set backs. Yeah we have changes to the rules. Yeah we have shortcomings, but we don't use them as excuses. We use them as launching pads. Too slow, fine we will get faster. Too short, fine we will get taller. Either way, we will always be a town that relishes the underdog role and views the chance to compete on the national stage as an honor and a serious one as that. We understand that no matter what, we have a never ending desire to be the best. To produce results that far exceed what is expected. At the same time we understand that we don't have all the opportunities that are given to others. Fine. We don't see the rules we only see the prize which is ours and we will claim it. Not against the rules, but within it. We wouldn't have it any other way. Therefore, when you look at Pittsburgh and the Steelers you look at two forces coming at you non stop until you give in and not the other way around.